Recommitted Patrick Cripps [Re-Signed to 2027]

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
A lot of optimism and hope from Carlton fans. If Cripps continues to perform as he did the last 2 years then 6 years on a very good coin could turn into a disaster. It does seem to me that all those fantastic years while carrying Carlton impacted Cripps body.

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
It’s a form drop that’s lasted over 12 months and counting to be fair. How many good games did he play on the back end of last year ?

Almost none. But he's not the only player in history to struggle through injury and drop form. Seen it plenty of times.

Pessimism isn't a counter to optimism. It's just a different mindset. And I am comforted to see the pessimists (not you btw) who've replied to my posts, forced to distort facts that exaggerate their points, which tells me these are not rational perspectives. Makes me feel even more optimistic.

Nov 9, 2007
The honorable loss factory
AFL Club
Carlton
It’s a form drop that’s lasted over 12 months and counting to be fair. How many good games did he play on the back end of last year ?
I'm really hoping it's like bont's 2018/19, chronic injury and he looked half the player he was in 2016.

Now he's gone up a level and I reckon is the best player in the league.

Time will tell and for what it's worth I thought Cripps was gone.

Sep 8, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
There are no other teams
Hannebury’s played 11 games in the same period Cripps has played 50, and hasn’t missed any games the last couple of seasons.

Shocking call.
Well we all make shocking calls.

Just go have a read of the “wank fest” thread when the Carlton coach won a game or two last year.

Plus I will stick to my opinion on Cripps, because he is nearly burnt to a crisp now.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Well we all make shocking calls.

Just go have a read of the “wank fest” thread when the Carlton coach won a game or two last year.

Plus I will stick to my opinion on Cripps, because he is nearly burnt to a crisp now.

Sounds like you’ve read it enough times for both. Of all the threads you could voyeur that’s an interesting choice.

Certainly didn’t looked burnt to a crisp against the Hawks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
3 things have contributed to his form over the past 2 seasons, firstly corona, secondly the way the game is played these days/coaching, and last, hes had a back injury for quite a while and only just starting to play good again. Next year with a solid pre season, some adjustments, you'll see him back to form, he may not return to his peak form, but he will be a very very good player for us for the duration of his contract. Thank you Cripps for signing and remaining loyal.

Do you think that Carlton should put Cripps in “cotton wool”, and ship him off immediately for surgery, so that he is 100% cherry ripe for 2022 ?.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
I look at it differently and think Cripps has done the right thing by the club for signing for 'unders'
And Carlton have done the right thing by him for giving him 6 years rather than the 4/5 years

Im thinking over the last 6 years Patrick Cripps has been extremely well looked after with the way carltons list was and they struggled to even meet the cap floor. Well done by both club and player

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
I think his injuries are overstated somewhat. He started the season well where he was best on against Richmond to half time by an absolute mile then a couple of weeks later tore Freo a new one. I think he injured his back around that point.
His last 5 weeks have been good.
27 touches, 7 clearances and 10 tackles against Melbourne
In the coaches votes against against Hawthorn and Sydney
Shocker against West Coast.
Started really well against GWS and they had to move De Boer onto him in the second half after he had just given Walsh a bath. One poor game in 5 and the rest he has been pretty good to very good.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
So a 6 year contract for a guy carrying a long term injury ??

He's an interesting comparison to Tom Mitchell.

Obviously Mitchell is under contract and has moved clubs so isn't a free agent, but there is discussion about him moving because he's 28 and Hawthorn are rebuilding. People are talking about him maybe fetching a later first round pick in a trade that his club don't even have to do yet some Carlton fans think pick 5-10 as FA compo for Cripps is an insult. In both cases people are looking at recent form in assessing value, not what happened 2-3 years ago.

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
1 contested possession at half time for Paddy Cripps against a mediocre midfield outfit... Carlton is getting smashed in the midfield as a result.

Shadow of old self, found the perfect timing to cash in on past performances.

1 game can just be an off-game, 2-5 weeks can just be a bad patch of form, but close to 2 years of abysmal performance absolutely is regression.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
6 years.
1624782208452.gif

Back