Recommitted Patrick Cripps [Re-Signed to 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

There’s no similarities between Lynch and Cripps. Lynch was gone a year out - and his awkward interview at the time suggests he had already decided to move. All the communication from Cripps has been positive toward staying at the Blues. Carlton will make him an offer he can’t refuse. They simply cannot afford him to leave, and I don’t think he will.

Both captains.

Suns couldn't afford lynch leaving either.

They required a major afl charity package eventually to move the narrative away from them potentially folding.

Tom Lynch played for the 17th best team with the lowest league-wide membership numbers, whereas Cripps is captaining a big Melbourne club who could feasibly be playing finals by the time his contract expires.

Break anything down and you'll find a couple of tenuous links, but Tom Lynch's decision was a very simple one (plus he was returning to his home city, Cripps isn't going back to live in Northhampton) - Cripps' isn't as straight forward.

Carlton were getting some very small crowds prior to the the pandemic and cripps has not played finals and had a near historical negative win%

There are some similarities imho

Rumours aside, can someone please show me where Cripps ever said he wanted to move back to WA?

Of course I'm biased, but all that I've ever seen is Cripps saying how he's determined to stay and is exited by the direction of the club.

If you consider having the 5th highest home crowd average in 2019 as small then yes it’s similar.

The Richmond and Collingwood games bump up the average. Early in the season ,where blue baggers are holding onto some hope.

I was referring to the trouble looking numbers towards the end of the season when the blues are hosting games. And the wheels have come off.

Rumours aside, can someone please show me where Cripps ever said he wanted to move back to WA?

Of course I'm biased, but all that I've ever seen is Cripps saying how he's determined to stay and is exited by the direction of the club.

Tbf he has to say the PC answer.

Even he wants to go to wce or gws he probably isn't going to say or allude to it.

Due be media training and seemingly being a nice bloke

The Richmond and Collingwood games bump up the average. Early in the season ,where blue baggers are holding onto some hope.

I was referring to the trouble looking numbers towards the end of the season when the blues are hosting games. And the wheels have come off.

Keep digging son.

Even from the bottom 1/3 of the ladder record membership 2019, again in 2020. Mid January 2021 and about to overtake the 2020 number. Conservative estimate has membership increasing by 20,000 or more over the period.

So you're completely right. The wheels have fallen off. The fans have lost interest. I for one will be surprised if Carlton don't notch up a zero crowd at some point.

Boofhead.

There’s no similarities between Lynch and Cripps. Lynch was gone a year out - and his awkward interview at the time suggests he had already decided to move. All the communication from Cripps has been positive toward staying at the Blues. Carlton will make him an offer he can’t refuse. They simply cannot afford him to leave, and I don’t think he will.

Well said.
I can't see Cripps leaving either.
I doubt he'd want to leave anyway with all the hard yards he's put in at the club, with finals looking likely over the next few years.

Tbf he has to say the PC answer.

Even he wants to go to wce or gws he probably isn't going to say or allude to it.

Due be media training and seemingly being a nice bloke

To my knowledge he hasn't been asked yet. I think it'll play out like Brodie Grundy's contract negotiations, a bit of intrigue, Crippa giving the old 'I'm from WA, but don't have any intentions to leave' and then signing on a long term, million-dollar contract.

Keep digging son.

Even from the bottom 1/3 of the ladder record membership 2019, again in 2020. Mid January 2021 and about to overtake the 2020 number. Conservative estimate has membership increasing by 20,000 or more over the period.

So you're completely right. The wheels have fallen off. The fans have lost interest. I for one will be surprised if Carlton don't notch up a zero crowd at some point.

Boofhead.

Tbf we were discussing crowds and I agree the average is very healthy at 5th.

Yet it's skewed by the early season blockbusters against the power teams - when blues fans still have an interest.

If you analysis the 2nd half of the games that I mentioned you may agree it's a little worrying for a 'big 4 club'.

Personally , I reckon cripps stays. He seems loyal and would enjoy success (if it ever happens) more at the blues. But the lynch-cripps situations are not light years apart imho

Personally , I reckon cripps stays. He seems loyal and would enjoy success (if it ever happens) more at the blues. But the lynch-cripps situations are not light years apart imho

Lynch was staring down the barrel of another rebuild, not quite the same. Carlton aren't in rebuild territory no matter how poor their 2021 is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't that depend on Paddy?

If he chooses out the blues look shaky in the short term(?)

From what I can gather, there has been nothing coming from Cripps to indicate he would want to leave. In fact, its been quite the opposite.

Freo & Carlton are at the same level in the premiership clock.If he wants to go home and success is a big part of the reason then WC would be my choice if i was in his shoes.Having said that being a RFA no way WC will be in a position to "outbid" Carlton.

Doesn't that depend on Paddy?

If he chooses out the blues look shaky in the short term(?)

Not really.

Great player no doubt, comfortably Top 10 in the league, but we'd just continue building around Weitering, McKay and Walsh, who all look like becoming stars of the competition. (I'd love to include Curnow too, but we've got no real expectations on his future.

One wins flags and kicks bags in key finals ones a loser..

26.69 percent specifically

Lynch's losing percentage would be reasonably low in spite of his past couple of seasons with the Tigers.

Made the easy decision to jump ship to the best team in the competition on a million-dollar contract - I think Crippa's got bigger cojones.

Not really.

Great player no doubt, comfortably Top 10 in the league, but we'd just continue building around Weitering, McKay and Walsh, who all look like becoming stars of the competition. (I'd love to include Curnow too, but we've got no real expectations on his future.

Every team has decent bookends.

Cripps would be a lot of firepower gone.

Big pressure on walsh and zac williams

I guess however the compensation would be significant

Lynch's losing percentage would be reasonably low in spite of his past couple of seasons with the Tigers.

Made the easy decision to jump ship to the best team in the competition on a million-dollar contract - I think Crippa's got bigger cojones.

Lynch is +40 percent.

Iirc took smaller contract than what pies and hawks were offering to join richmond.

Lynch played 8 years or whatever for GC. Was a great player and skipper.

He did his part for the suns. Like cripps has done for carlton

Every team has decent bookends.

Cripps would be a lot of firepower gone.

Big pressure on walsh and zac williams

I guess however the compensation would be significant

That's not true. Hawthorn, Essendon, North Melbourne, Collingwood are lacking at least a key forward or a defender if not both. It's not just that Weitering and McKay are already good, they're still building into the players they are going to be.

Easy to catastrophise, but the worst case scenario almost never plays out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back