Recommitted Patrick Cripps [Re-Signed to 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
That's true, but everything Crippa has been saying suggests he'll stay at Carlton.
Yes of course he is going to say that, but I don't feel nervous about him leaving.
I now hope Cripps stays at Carlton to be honest.

If the Jeremy Cameron situation is anything to go by, your mob will ask for some decent compo

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cripps isn’t worth it, as Fremantle doesn’t need inside mids.

He will be 27 next year and I really don’t think he will play pass 32.
Sort of Reminds me Of the Stephen Coniglio situation at GWS.

Freo were after Coniglio when he was a Free Agent at the end of 2019. Would Coniglio of helped freos midfield or the best 22? Absolutely.

Could freo justify paying him 1 million a year to try and fit him in the Salary cap? Probably not.

I look at Patrick Cripps. Do I rate him? Yes I do. I would love him to return to his 2016-19 form when he was averaging 27-29 disposals a game.

I dont mind freo building up its list of younger players in that 23-25 year old range. Those guys from the 2016 and 2017 drafts should be hitting their prime years or be close to it.

I sort of hope Freo take the Geelong Method of developing their youth: with the Salary cap prior to the covid was 13 million. I want a chunk of our etter players to be on Long secure 3-5 year deals on $500-$600,000 a year.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sort of Reminds me Of the Stephen Coniglio situation at GWS.

Freo were after Coniglio when he was a Free Agent at the end of 2019. Would Coniglio of helped freos midfield or the best 22? Absolutely.

Could freo justify paying him 1 million a year to try and fit him in the Salary cap? Probably not.

I look at Patrick Cripps. Do I rate him? Yes I do. I would love him to return to his 2016-19 form when he was averaging 27-29 disposals a game.

I dont mind freo building up its list of younger players in that 23-25 year old range. Those guys from the 2016 and 2017 drafts should be hitting their prime years or be close to it.

I sort of hope Freo take the Geelong Method of developing their youth: with the Salary cap prior to the covid was 13 million. I want a chunk of our etter players to be on Long secure 3-5 year deals on $500-$600,000 a year.
Let’s say Cripps takes 10% of the cap and plays another 5 seasons and 100 games.

Lets compare Cripps with Cameron who went for 3 first rounds with 2 second round picks coming back or Kelly’s deal of 2 first round picks plus a second round.

Cripps goes for 2020 first round , 2020 second round and 2021 first round.

Fremantle get Cripps and loses one or two inside mids because a lack of opportunities.

Then I look at the needs of the Dockers list: Key Forward, Flat side winger, line breaking half back (replace Hill and Wilson) and maybe an inside/outside mid.

Cripps is great player for sure but his price and not filling a need isn’t a good get for the Dockers.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Let’s say Cripps takes 10% of the cap and plays another 5 seasons and 100 games.

Lets compare Cripps with Cameron who went for 3 first rounds with 2 second round picks coming back or Kelly’s deal of 2 first round picks plus a second round.

Cripps goes for 2020 first round , 2020 second round and 2021 first round.

Fremantle get Cripps and loses one or two inside mids because a lack of opportunities.

Then I look at the needs of the Dockers list: Key Forward, Flat side winger, line breaking half back (replace Hill and Wilson) and maybe an inside/outside mid.

Cripps is great player for sure but his price and not filling a need isn’t a good get for the Dockers.
If he nominated Freo you would move heaven and earth to sign him.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hilarious reading Freo fans suggest they wouldn’t bother trying to trade for a top 5 player.
Read mine and eastfreo75 s posts again.

I am not saying Cripps is a bad player. With Covid and 10% of the Salary cap hit. going to be hard trying to fit him under freos salary cap.

Again.... If Freo can somehow fit 1 million a year for cripps on a 5-6 year deal, then younger (Victorian) dockers players might leave If we can fit them under the cap.

james Dean

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2006
Otherside of the Tracks
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
PHX, NUFC, Pats
Read mine and eastfreo75 s posts again.

I am not saying Cripps is a bad player. With Covid and 10% of the Salary cap hit. going to be hard trying to fit him under freos salary cap.

Again.... If Freo can somehow fit 1 million a year for cripps on a 5-6 year deal, then younger (Victorian) dockers players might leave If we can fit them under the cap.
Again, trying to apply some potential scenarios about potential player losses is ridiculous.

Cripps instantly makes you a better team and He’s a superstar. The myth about other players being pushed out is just that

Did recruiting Lynch cost the tigers anyone? How about Buddy for the Swans? Danger for the Cats? Bringing in stars will entice players to stay,
Not leave

the only ones who would leave would be fringe players who can’t get a game

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Again, trying to apply some potential scenarios about potential player losses is ridiculous.

Cripps instantly makes you a better team and He’s a superstar. The myth about other players being pushed out is just that

Did recruiting Lynch cost the tigers anyone? How about Buddy for the Swans? Danger for the Cats? Bringing in stars will entice players to stay,
Not leave

the only ones who would leave would be fringe players who can’t get a game
We have Fyfe, Cerra, Serong, Brayshaw, Tucker, Mundy, Walters, Blakely, Valente and O’Driscoll as players who can inside mids.

Sure half of them will be delisted or retired or can be played in other positions.

We bring in Cripps it reduces the inside minutes for Cerra, Serong and Brayshaw.

Fine you upgrade and are a better team but the $1m price and draft picks isn’t worth the upgrade.

Put Cripps into team needs an inside mid the upgrade is worth it.

james Dean

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2006
Otherside of the Tracks
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
PHX, NUFC, Pats
We have Fyfe, Cerra, Serong, Brayshaw, Tucker, Mundy, Walters, Blakely, Valente and O’Driscoll as players who can inside mids.

Sure half of them will be delisted or retired or can be played in other positions.

We bring in Cripps it reduces the inside minutes for Cerra, Serong and Brayshaw.

Fine you upgrade and are a better team but the $1m price and draft picks isn’t worth the upgrade.

Put Cripps into team needs an inside mid the upgrade is worth it.
None of those names you listed (Fyfe aside) are fit to tie Cripps boots. I don’t even know who the last two are.

What you said is akin to saying we don’t need Tom Hawkins cause he would take away minutes from Taberner.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
None of those names you listed (Fyfe aside) are fit to tie Cripps boots. I don’t even know who the last two are.

What you said is akin to saying we don’t need Tom Hawkins cause he would take away minutes from Taberner.

Cripps would be our equal best player. Let me say it again, Cripps is a great elite player.

Fyfe and Cripps are inside monsters are on the same level of game.

Both are not great from the spread and you would get hurt defensively.

Image getting the two best wicket keepers in the world or you get the two best soccer strikers or two best point guards etc.

All those examples would be a waste of resources.

Too many inside midfielders isn’t a great thing.

The upgrade isn’t worth the great cost.

james Dean

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2006
Otherside of the Tracks
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
PHX, NUFC, Pats
Cripps would be our equal best player. Let me say it again, Cripps is a great elite player.

Image getting the two best wicket keepers in the world or you get the two best soccer strikers or two best point guards etc.

We’re going around in circles here I just can’t understand the logic.

Carlton have a solid backline. Yet if Harris Andrews said he wants to join, and we didn’t make it happen I’d be furious.

But each to their own

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks

Rotate the 2 between forward and mid. At each stoppage you would have 1 of the best 5 mids in the comp. It would also preserve Fyfes longevity not always having to do the heavy lifting.

Again - if he picks Freo they are moving mountains to sign him.

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Arguing for the sake of arguing here.
Freo supporter: Cripps is coming can’t wait
Carlton supporter: no chance your dreaming,bullshit!
Wouldn’t trade him for the world.

Freo supporter: don’t really need him have 2020 rising star mid bull and the 2019 Brownlow mid bull and a pick 2and 5mids entering there 4th year that we are very happy with.
Carlton supporter:no chance your dreaming, bullshit as if you wouldn’t move heaven and earth for Cripps

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Rotate the 2 between forward and mid. At each stoppage you would have 1 of the best 5 mids in the comp. It would also preserve Fyfes longevity not always having to do the heavy lifting.

Again - if he picks Freo they are moving mountains to sign him.
You could make it work by exactly what you are saying.

Cripps 60% mid , 30% forward and 10% bench

Fyfe 40% mid , 50% forward and 10%.

That would work.

Let’s look at the other centre square spots.

Brayshaw 80% mid and 20% bench

Cerra 80% mid and 20% bench

Serong 40% mid and 40% forward and 20% bench.

Can you see the issues?

Fyfe a top 5 midfielder spends only 40% in the midfield.

Cripps a top 5 midfielder spends only 60% in the midfield.

Serong a rising star midfield spends 40% on the midfield.

Lets look at the structure of the forward.

Fyfe/Cripps/Serong is 120%.

Walters 90% forward and doesn’t play in the midfield.

Stuart 90% forward and who knows if he could play midfield.

Henry 90% forward and later could play on the wing.

Taberner 90% forward.

Lobb 30% ruck, 20% bench and 50% forward.

A small forward plays 90% forward.

The overall impact of Cripps is reduced.

Tucker, Valente, O’Driscoll, and Western structurally couldn’t selected. All have potential to a good secondary midfielder.

To make Cripps work it requires players to be played out of position.

Plus, it is cost heaven and earth to get him.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
You could make it work by exactly what you are saying.

Cripps 60% mid , 30% forward and 10% bench

Fyfe 40% mid , 50% forward and 10%.

That would work.

Let’s look at the other centre square spots.

Brayshaw 80% mid and 20% bench

Cerra 80% mid and 20% bench

Serong 40% mid and 40% forward and 20% bench.

Can you see the issues?

Fyfe a top 5 midfielder spends only 40% in the midfield.

Cripps a top 5 midfielder spends only 60% in the midfield.

Serong a rising star midfield spends 40% on the midfield.

Lets look at the structure of the forward.

Fyfe/Cripps/Serong is 120%.

Walters 90% forward and doesn’t play in the midfield.

Stuart 90% forward and who knows if he could play midfield.

Henry 90% forward and later could play on the wing.

Taberner 90% forward.

Lobb 30% ruck, 20% bench and 50% forward.

A small forward plays 90% forward.

The overall impact of Cripps is reduced.

Tucker, Valente, O’Driscoll, and Western structurally couldn’t selected. All have potential to a good secondary midfielder.

To make Cripps work it requires players to be played out of position.

Plus, it is cost heaven and earth to get him.

Bizarre. Player lesser players instead. Sounds legit.

May 11, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
We’re going around in circles here I just can’t understand the logic.

Carlton have a solid backline. Yet if Harris Andrews said he wants to join, and we didn’t make it happen I’d be furious.

But each to their own
Ah but if you made it happen by overpaying and stuffing up your draft hand for years? Would that be worth it?

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Ah but if you made it happen by overpaying and stuffing up your draft hand for years? Would that be worth it?
Potentially a flag. Danger, Neale, Lynch, Buddy etc all superstars all helped improve the team they went to. You think the Cats are sweating on the list draft picks to bring Cameron in?

It’s what good clubs do. Don’t be a Freo - be a good club.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Bizarre. Player lesser players instead. Sounds legit.
Okay. People who run ball clubs, they think in terms of buying players. Your goal shouldn't be to buy players, your goal should be to buy wins. And in order to buy wins, you need to buy runs. You're trying to replace Johnny Damon. The Boston Red Sox see Johnny Damon and they see a star who's worth seven and half million dollars a year. When I see Johnny Damon, what I see is... is... an imperfect understanding of where runs come from. The guy's got a great glove. He's a decent leadoff hitter. He can steal bases. But is he worth the seven and half million dollars a year that the Boston Red Sox are paying him? No. No. Baseball thinking is medieval. They are asking all the wrong questions. And if I say it to anybody, I'm-I'm ostracized. I'm-I'm-I'm a leper. So that's why I'm-I'm cagey about this with you. That's why I... I respect you, Mr. Beane, and if you want full disclosure, I think it's a good thing that you got Damon off your payroll. I think it opens up all kinds of interesting possibilities.
-- Peter Brand

AFL statically is more complex than baseball.

Cripps will eat 10% of the cap.

Is the upgrade on an inside midfield worth 10% of the cap plus picks for the Dockers?

Fremantle get killed on the spread, Cripps won't help with that and actually it will get worse with him.

Fremantle real weakest is on the wingers, Cripps won't help with that.

Fremantle lack leg speed, Cripps won't help with that.

Fremantle need more goals, Cripps can't kick straight for goals.

Fremantle have a over supply of tall backs and inside midfielders.

Upgrades on the wings would a better use of resources.

Upgrading a Acres, Bewley or Aish into an elite outside midfielder is far better than upgrading a Serong into a Cripps.

Cripps will be 27 in March next year and Serong will be 21.

As you say get the best players at all cost to cap, draft picks and structure/balance.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Potentially a flag. Danger, Neale, Lynch, Buddy etc all superstars all helped improve the team they went to. You think the Cats are sweating on the list draft picks to bring Cameron in?

It’s what good clubs do. Don’t be a Freo - be a good club.
what?

Tigers only had one key forward and then got Lynch as the second key forward.

Only Hawkins was AFL standard tall forward and Cameron will be the mobile second tall forward.

Danger can play forward and back.

Swans didn't any AFL quality key forwards except Tippett.

Brisbane had a swallow inside midfielder and Neale address that issue.

Too many inside midfielders you end up like North Melbourne and Melbourne.

If you can't understand that teams have different needs and certain recruits can have different impacts at different clubs good luck to you.

james Dean

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2006
Otherside of the Tracks
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
PHX, NUFC, Pats
Okay. People who run ball clubs, they think in terms of buying players. Your goal shouldn't be to buy players, your goal should be to buy wins. And in order to buy wins, you need to buy runs. You're trying to replace Johnny Damon. The Boston Red Sox see Johnny Damon and they see a star who's worth seven and half million dollars a year. When I see Johnny Damon, what I see is... is... an imperfect understanding of where runs come from. The guy's got a great glove. He's a decent leadoff hitter. He can steal bases. But is he worth the seven and half million dollars a year that the Boston Red Sox are paying him? No. No. Baseball thinking is medieval. They are asking all the wrong questions. And if I say it to anybody, I'm-I'm ostracized. I'm-I'm-I'm a leper. So that's why I'm-I'm cagey about this with you. That's why I... I respect you, Mr. Beane, and if you want full disclosure, I think it's a good thing that you got Damon off your payroll. I think it opens up all kinds of interesting possibilities.

-- Peter Brand

AFL statically is more complex than baseball.

Cripps will eat 10% of the cap.

Is the upgrade on an inside midfield worth 10% of the cap plus picks for the Dockers?

Fremantle get killed on the spread, Cripps won't help with that and actually it will get worse with him.

Fremantle real weakest is on the wingers, Cripps won't help with that.

Fremantle lack leg speed, Cripps won't help with that.

Fremantle need more goals, Cripps can't kick straight for goals.

Fremantle have a over supply of tall backs and inside midfielders.

Upgrades on the wings would a better use of resources.

Upgrading a Acres, Bewley or Aish into an elite outside midfielder is far better than upgrading a Serong into a Cripps.

Cripps will be 27 in March next year and Serong will be 21.

As you say get the best players at all cost to cap, draft picks and structure/balance.
Lol Cripps will accomplish more from here on than Serong will

Remove this Banner Ad

Back