Play Nice Patrick Cripps v Marcus Bontempelli

Who would you rather?

• Patrick Cripps

• Marcus Bontempelli

Results are only viewable after voting.
Cripps has once again decisively stepped Bontempelli.

What does Bont need to do to get to Cripps’ level?

I'm stunned ManOfClay hasn't popped in here yet to tell us how irrelevant the Brownlow Medal is.

Bald

Premium Gold
Apr 5, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
I'm stunned ManOfClay hasn't popped in here yet to tell us how irrelevant the Brownlow Medal is.
I wouldn’t say it’s irrelevant as an award though I don’t think it’s a factor in this discussion. If Bailey Smith were to win the 2023 Brownlow medal I wouldn’t rate him higher than Sam Walsh for example.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
What does Bont need to do to get to Cripps’ level?

While Cripps has been enjoying a well earned Charlie, Bontempelli has been building on his impressive finals CV and trying to get his team to yet another grand final.

Perhaps 2023 will be the year they break through and lift up the cup again?

biggiemediums

Norm Smith Medallist
WCE Wings Guernsey
Jul 20, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Damn, didn't expect the poll to be so heavily stacked on either side. I would say that these two aren't far apart and a part of the same tier: Elite.

Foxman98

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thread was also made in 2016, so it's not like the poll results are exactly accurate or current.
Wouldn't change much though would it

Cripps: Bronwlow/AFLPA MVP/ 3 X AA/ 4 X BNF (Never played a final)

Bontempelli: Premiership/AFLPA MVP/AFL Coaches award/AFLPA Best Captain award/ 4 X AA/ 4 X BNF (Including in a premiership year)

Cripps is a very good player but most people aren't taking him over Bont

Wouldn't change much though would it

Cripps: Bronwlow/AFLPA MVP/ 3 X AA/ 4 X BNF (Never played a final)

Bontempelli: Premiership/AFLPA MVP/AFL Coaches award/AFLPA Best Captain award/ 4 X AA/ 4 X BNF (Including in a premiership year)

Cripps is a very good player but most people aren't taking him over Bont
I'm on the Bontempelli side in this argument but being a premiership player means * all when comparing the players

And saying Cripps has never played in a final probably boosts him a little as he has shown he can play in a bad team, its harder to excel in s**t sides than it is top sides

And the best captain award is a bit of a wank too if I'm being honest

Foxman98

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm on the Bontempelli side in this argument but being a premiership player means * all when comparing the players

And saying Cripps has never played in a final probably boosts him a little as he has shown he can play in a bad team, its harder to excel in s**t sides than it is top sides

When you win the BNF in a Premiership year it is

How does not playing in a final for a decade boost you? Would you put Nathan Jones up higher for his era because you were poor for most of it?

Best captain is voted on by the players and seeing as both are captains of their club it is another distinguishing factor that their peers are suggesting he is a better leader.

Jun 26, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

The premiership player argument is a complete wank, I agree.

But the Bont being the best player at age 20 in a premiership side is pretty notable as an achievement.

In terms of comparing Bont with Cripps, team success matters very little.

The premiership player argument is a complete wank, I agree.

But the Bont being the best player at age 20 in a premiership side is pretty notable as an achievement.

In terms of comparing Bont with Cripps, team success matters very little.
yeah happy to keep the b&f in a premiership team accolade in there. Could argue it is the highest accomplishment of a player that year

When you win the BNF in a Premiership year it is

How does not playing in a final for a decade boost you? Would you put Nathan Jones up higher for his era because you were poor for most of it?

Best captain is voted on by the players and seeing as both are captains of their club it is another distinguishing factor that their peers are suggesting he is a better leader.
Yeah a b&f in a premiership I agree, you made note of him being a premiership player and then again as a b&f winner in a premiership team so it seems as if you want both of them noted as different accolades

GAJ is a prime example of a players whose credentials in a lot of peoples minds went through the roof when he achieved what he did at Gold Coast. Not sure the Nathan Jones comparison is relevant, I don't think anybody was ever talking about Jones in the upper elite players ever.

Tayylor Walker was named best captain twice. Watson in a year that he was using performance enhancing supplements, its a popularity vote

Back