Rumour Patrick Cripps will go home to WA if Carlton miss the finals in 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

As I keep saying. You are totally over valuing Cripps.

A 27 year old with maybe 3 to 4 years left in his body, if lucky.

I'd take the two picks and kids with picks 1 and 3.

Or turn pick 1 into 2 more top 10 picks and take 3 10 year players.

What pick was cCripps taken in the draft again?
Where do you get your numbers from Cripps is not 27 .

Actually considering contracts begin and end on October 31 he will be 26 if you want to get technical .

It wasn't me that brought it up.

I'm simply trying to help you understand (which seems difficult).

By time Cripps plays a match under his new contract in March 2022 he would be 27 which is the point the poster was trying to make.

And actually, contracts end of October 31 and begin on November 1 if really want to get technical. ;)

It is absurd.

For starters everyone knew picks outside top 10 were going to slide this year due to academy players. Those picks became 15, 18 and 25.

And GWS gave back 2 second rounders, one of which will end up inside pick 25 this year.

Yet somehow you think Cripps is worth 3 extra picks inside the top 20. 😂

People rarely think this stuff through.

Let's say Cripps wants to go to Freo and they have pick 10. The best two draft assets Freo could offer would be pick 10 and a 2022 first round pick. How many players on Freo's list are worth a first round pick? You'd probably get one for one of the young recent early draftees, or Fyfe, Walters, Ryan. Clubs rarely part with them unless they are getting plenty of years service or genuine star quality if you are 26/27+.

There is zero point going after someone like Cripps at the expense of Fyfe or Walters etc. So it comes down to picks and younger players. Does anyone really think Freo with a fairly young list profile would give up two years worth of first round picks plus try to push out two of Serong, Cerra etc just to get one guy? AFL trades just don't happen that way.

It's unbelievable how high people rate draft picks on BF. Dart board stuff they are and people try to match value with them over seasoned and proven good footballers.
The clubs that consistently go to the draft are the clubs forever in a rebuild. Year after year the rebuild starts again.

It's unbelievable how high people rate draft picks on BF. Dart board stuff they are and people try to match value with them over seasoned and proven good footballers.
The clubs that consistently go to the draft are the clubs forever in a rebuild. Year after year the rebuild starts again.
Really? WC have drafted plenty.

Sure, you top up with readymades while you're contending but you still need to maintain a presence in the draft.

Kind of my point though. People like to refer to the Cameron trade because "three first rounders!?!?!?!!!!" but in reality it wasn't as much as it seemed with the picks coming back their way.

People are idiots.

Carlton fans are desperate to call it 3 first round picks because that suits their argument of Cripps' value being even higher.
Many Geelong fans are adamant 3 first round picks never happened because of the picks coming back the other way.

Really? WC have drafted plenty.

Sure, you top up with readymades while you're contending but you still need to maintain a presence in the draft.

All clubs draft plenty as that is the system.
My point is in this thread people are trying to compare draft picks to Cripps, there is no comparison or number of picks that compare to Cripps. If I had an option of Picks 1-2-3 in next years draft or Cripps I would take Cripps without even thinking about it.
You can't provide comparisons on unknown players against known quantities.
For some reason people think age is important with footballers, I disagree with that. Can he play or can't he play. Thats all you need to know. The AFL clubs recruit 80% of their players wo they have no idea at all if they can play or not.
Which is why half the clubs in the league are always in rebuild.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's very believable - because that's how clubs value draft picks and base their recruiting decisions around them. It's really only clubs that regularly enter the first round 10-20 that recognise that their first round picks aren't that good and trade for experience.

Morton, Watts, Scully, Trengove, Toumpas, Petracca, Brayshaw, Oliver, Jackson were all drafted by Melbourne in the top 5. The first 5 are out of the league now, the last four were picked more recently than Cripps in 2013. What combination of of those guys would you give up for Cripps?

I mean in 2014 Melbourne had 2 and 3 and got Brayshaw and Petracca, GWS had 4, 6, 7 and got Pickett, Marchnank and Ahern. The hit rate is low. But if you wanted to get picks 2 and 3 or 4, 6, 7 from a club in a trade you would have to offer up something like a contracted 25 year old Marcus Bontempelli.

The disconnect is fans overrating their own players' trade value relative to historical trades. If you use picks 1, 2, and 3 in the draft you probably won't get one player as good as Cripps and if you hit the jackpot and get 3 stars they won't be in the prime for a few years anyway, but the only clubs that actually had draft hands like that were GC and GWS and they still went for 18 year olds. No out of contract player is ever going to go for pick 1+ to a team that has pick 1 and could just get them for free.

It's very believable - because that's how clubs value draft picks and base their recruiting decisions around them. It's really only clubs that regularly enter the first round 10-20 that recognise that their first round picks aren't that good and trade for experience.

Morton, Watts, Scully, Trengove, Toumpas, Petracca, Brayshaw, Oliver, Jackson were all drafted by Melbourne in the top 5. The first 5 are out of the league now, the last four were picked more recently than Cripps in 2013. What combination of of those guys would you give up for Cripps?

I mean in 2014 Melbourne had 2 and 3 and got Brayshaw and Petracca, GWS had 4, 6, 7 and got Pickett, Marchnank and Ahern. The hit rate is low. But if you wanted to get picks 2 and 3 or 4, 6, 7 from a club in a trade you would have to offer up something like a contracted 25 year old Marcus Bontempelli.

The disconnect is fans overrating their own players' trade value relative to historical trades. If you use picks 1, 2, and 3 in the draft you probably won't get one player as good as Cripps and if you hit the jackpot and get 3 stars they won't be in the prime for a few years anyway, but the only clubs that actually had draft hands like that were GC and GWS and they still went for 18 year olds. No out of contract player is ever going to go for pick 1+ to a team that has pick 1 and could just get them for free.

The clubs are idiots and thats why half on them are consistently in rebuild.
Drafting or picking 18 years olds that have never played football against men is a modern sporting thing, if you go back a few decades the only time an 18 year old got picked was when they were ready to play. They didn't need 3 years to develop.
The system is what it is, they will keep drafting lottery picks and clubs will continue to be forever in a rebuild.

"So Cipps cant be outbid for therefore Cripps should leave for success" is a really funny narrative - doesn't work out like that though ....the only FA's that have left a club and got a flag were all scooped up by Hawthorn - before other teams woke up to the arb - and please all Lynch proves is that Suns are a basket case- everyone knows that.

IF Cripps wanted to go/had to go back to Perth it would be Freo that would be the natural suitor - they will have picks and players Carlton are interested in and Cripps to WC would be just another great player who goofed going to a bunch of geriatrics wanting to stay relevant. Richmond have feasted on smashing old teams scraping into grand finals- running them off their legs or beating a VFL GWS side. If Geelong or WC scrape into - Richmond would smash them - again. old old legs don't get any younger fellas.

Opposed to this is Cripps at the age of 26 being an 'older' player at Carlton on good coin with a bunch of young guns around him - with 5-6 good years left in the tank to enjoy a genuine crack at a flag and being a key part of the rebuild from ground zero. Not many players have achieved that.

Very funny reading this BF dribble from WC macaroons - thinking that up and coming sides give a toss about WC guaranteed success narratives.

Yeah but aren’t we supposed to be ignoring last year like blues supporters are asking of Cripps ?
How was Fyfe in 2019?
Except I'm comparing Cripps and Fyfe across their careers, not just last year. FWIW, here are those stats:

Cripps vs Fyfe
Disposals - 25.3 / 25.4
Disposal efficiency - 69.5% / 67.7%
Contested possessions - 15 / 14.2
Ground ball gets - 8.8 / 8.6
Centre clearances - 3.2 / 2.2
Stoppage clearances - 4.1 / 3.4
Tackles - 5.7 / 3.9
Pressure acts - 20.3 / 18.2
Goals - 0.5 / 0.8

"So Cipps cant be outbid for therefore Cripps should leave for success" is a really funny narrative - doesn't work out like that though ....the only FA's that have left a club and got a flag were all scooped up by Hawthorn - before other teams woke up to the arb - and please all Lynch proves is that Suns are a basket case- everyone knows that.

IF Cripps wanted to go/had to go back to Perth it would be Freo that would be the natural suitor - they will have picks and players Carlton are interested in and Cripps to WC would be just another great player who goofed going to a bunch of geriatrics wanting to stay relevant. Richmond have feasted on smashing old teams scraping into grand finals- running them off their legs or beating a VFL GWS side. If Geelong or WC scrape into - Richmond would smash them - again. old old legs don't get any younger fellas.

Opposed to this is Cripps at the age of 26 being an 'older' player at Carlton on good coin with a bunch of young guns around him - with 5-6 good years left in the tank to enjoy a genuine crack at a flag and being a key part of the rebuild from ground zero. Not many players have achieved that.

Very funny reading this BF dribble from WC macaroons - thinking that up and coming sides give a toss about WC guaranteed success narratives.
This.

What's this notion of Cripps being 'banged up'?

Do people realise all that happened early this year was a dislocated shoulder from a contest? The shoulder reco was because he played through the whole season injured and it didn't get a chance to recover. So when people in this thread go on about him only having 3-4 years left in the tank, it's honestly hysterical.

If he was to leave, it would only be to support his partner with mental health troubles. Anyone who thinks that Cripps will leave for money or to 'chase success' is plain wrong. And anyone who thinks that Cripps, the best inside mid in the league is not worth two top 5 picks as a minimum, is delusional.

Except I'm comparing Cripps and Fyfe across their careers, not just last year. FWIW, here are those stats:

Cripps vs Fyfe
Disposals - 25.3 / 25.4
Tackles - 5.7 / 3.9
Goals - 0.5 / 0.8

Cripps vs Fyfe
Disposals - 25.3 / 25.4
Tackles - 5.7 / 3.9
Goals - 0.5 / 0.8
stats awesome clearly the best player of his generation his stats have the wood on dusty and danger too.
I wish they displayed live stats when I’m watching so I can see who’s playing well.

All clubs draft plenty as that is the system.
Surely it demonstrates that drafting early and drafting well is a cornerstone of building a successful side.

My point is in this thread people are trying to compare draft picks to Cripps, there is no comparison or number of picks that compare to Cripps. If I had an option of Picks 1-2-3 in next years draft or Cripps I would take Cripps without even thinking about it.
You can't provide comparisons on unknown players against known quantities.
Nah that's silly. You may as well argue that first-round picks have negligible value because they're "unknown players".

How do you get Dustin Martin or Nic Naitanui without a pick in the top 5?

Of course, draft picks offer no guarantees. But they do offer opportunity. That is their value.

For some reason people think age is important with footballers, I disagree with that. Can he play or can't he play. Thats all you need to know.
Nonsense. Age affects trade value because it influences how many years they have left.

Shaun Higgins can play. But he'll be 33 next month so his trade value was less than if he was 25. This goes without saying. Why claim otherwise?

The AFL clubs recruit 80% of their players wo they have no idea at all if they can play or not.
Which is why half the clubs in the league are always in rebuild.
This merely underlines the importance of getting clusters of several earlyish picks in several drafts and then hopefully hitting more than you miss. That's often how you build the core of a successful side.

Is that you, Clarko?

Cripps vs Fyfe
Disposals - 25.3 / 25.4
Tackles - 5.7 / 3.9
Goals - 0.5 / 0.8

Brownlows - 0 / 2

anyway carry on .......

Brownlows - 0 / 2

anyway carry on .......
Dunstall, Jono Brown, Barassi, Carey, Ablett Snr and Leigh Matthews never won one either.

You're expecting the poor guy to win a Brownlow in a team that finishes 18th, 14th, 16th, 18th and 16th in his first 5 years at the club :rolleyes:

You look at any relevant stat for an inside mid, and Cripps leads it across the league. He is the best inside mid in the comp, regardless if he hasn't won a Brownlow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back