Rumour Patrick Cripps will go home to WA if Carlton miss the finals in 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

DeLaCon

All Australian
Nov 15, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
I wouldnt give more than late first round pick for him. His cooked. His body has been hammered by all the physical contests he gets himself too. To be honest I hope we dont get him. His done.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
The question with Cripps is also, how much do you want to be paying him at 30, 31, 32?

Sure, 1 million at 27, 28, 29. But how much thereafter?

1 million for Cripps at his current level is below what he is worth, and probably overs for Cripps late in his career.

The question is is he worth 1.5 at age 27/28/29 and 500K at 30/31/32 (6 million)?

If the answer is yes. Then 1 million per year over 6 years is warranted (it's the same money, just moved around).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

james Dean

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2006
Otherside of the Tracks
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
PHX, NUFC, Pats
The question with Cripps is also, how much do you want to be paying him at 30, 31, 32?

Sure, 1 million at 27, 28, 29. But how much thereafter?
It’s the Tom Lynch situation, he won’t be worth millions in his 30s but if helps win a flag or 2 then it has paid off

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
It’s the Tom Lynch situation, he won’t be worth millions in his 30s but if helps win a flag or 2 then it has paid off
So according to that rationale, how much would be too much?

Besides, you have to decide in advance how much to pay him. There's no guarantee of a flag. You have to pay him what you deem him to be worth and then hope it leads to success.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He’s reportedly on $600k this year, if he continues to develop like he did in 2020 then by the end of the season anything up to $800k is not unrealistic. If freo make the finals and win one, he will likely stay for less, but that’s not guaranteed.
I’m shocked he’s already on $600k. Projecting to be a very good player but $600k should be what he’s aspiring to at his age not already on it.

james Dean

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2006
Otherside of the Tracks
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
PHX, NUFC, Pats
So according to that rationale, how much would be too much?

Besides, you have to decide in advance how much to pay him. There's no guarantee of a flag. You have to pay him what you deem him to be worth and then hope it leads to success.
You also have to overpay to entice him, how would he react if Freo say we’re only going to pay you 500k when you’re 30 because you might be cooked by then.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
You also have to overpay to entice him, how would he react if Freo say we’re only going to pay you 500k when you’re 30 because you might be cooked by then.
Why didn't you answer the question?

Fundamentally, if Cripps leaves it's unlikely to be for the money. He'll be paid well at Carlton. I doubt either WA club would pay him significantly more.

james Dean

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2006
Otherside of the Tracks
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
PHX, NUFC, Pats
Why didn't you answer the question?

Fundamentally, if Cripps leaves it's unlikely to be for the money. He'll be paid well at Carlton. I doubt either WA club would pay him significantly more.
I didn’t answer because it was a rhetorical question.

I think if you are trying to lure a player of the quality of Cripps then there the only limit is what would affect your salary cap. I would have no issue paying a million a year for 5 years for a superstar like him

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
I didn’t answer because it was a rhetorical question.

I think if you are trying to lure a player of the quality of Cripps then there the only limit is what would affect your salary cap. I would have no issue paying a million a year for 5 years for a superstar like him
Why not more? I mean, if he helps win a flag, what is the limit?

Is $5 million over five years "overpaying"? I assume Carlton would be offering something in that ballpark.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back