Rumour Patrick Cripps will go home to WA if Carlton miss the finals in 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah ‘twas on radio again yesterday, the missus is back here now in the land of liberty
Another Carlton mediocre season will be the coup de grace
Fyfe and Cripps would have had a long chat at the WA Brownlow together
And the Eagles are a flagship club
What would two country boys, Aquinas grads, surfers, both captains of their clubs and elite midfielders of the game possibly have to talk about?

And what track record have you got to prove youll finish any higher than 12th ? 😂

5 wooden spoons this century? You're acting like you're Geelong or Hawthorn here.

Well considering we finished 11th in 2020, one would assume with Saad and Williams as additions, we would finish higher. Care to put a wager on it big boy? Or is your ass talking in place of your brain?

May 13, 2007
<---------
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Seahawks, Huskies, Newcastle Utd.
Tzatziki_Man does have a point though with Carlton's history of late though.

FWIW, I have your team scraping into the 8 but could easily just miss out as well with a bad run of luck throughout the season.

Blues could also have a flier of a year and push for top 4.

I think out of all of the sides, coming into this year you have the scope for the biggest variant of ladder finishes.

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
Well considering we finished 11th in 2020, one would assume with Saad and Williams as additions, we would finish higher. Care to put a wager on it big boy? Or is your ass talking in place of your brain?

One would not have considered the following
- Injuries
- Momentum
- Confidence
- Team Chemistry
- Stability
- Relationships
- Luck
- Work Ethic
- Effort
- Grit
- Hustle
- Composure
- Experience
- Competition

🤷‍♂️

But yes - Williams and Saad will sky-rocket you from 12th to top 8, its just thatttttttttttttt simple isn't it. 🤭

(In bold are where I think Carlton lack)

One would not have considered the following
- Injuries
- Momentum
- Confidence
- Team Chemistry
- Stability
- Relationships
- Luck
- Work Ethic
- Effort
- Grit
- Hustle
- Composure
- Experience
- Competition

🤷‍♂️

But yes - Williams and Saad will sky-rocket you from 12th to top 8, its just thatttttttttttttt simple isn't it. 🤭

(In bold are where I think Carlton lack)

Yes it really is. That and injecting another pre season into 16 sub 23 year olds ;)

Tzatziki_Man does have a point though with Carlton's history of late though.

FWIW, I have your team scraping into the 8 but could easily just miss out as well with a bad run of luck throughout the season.

Blues could also have a flier of a year and push for top 4.

I think out of all of the sides, coming into this year you have the scope for the biggest variant of ladder finishes.

Oh I agreed we have been completely shithouse for 20 odd years .... just have a really good look at the list though ;)

May 13, 2007
<---------
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Oh I agreed we have been completely shithouse for 20 odd years .... just have a really good look at the list though ;)
It will be interesting to see which experienced recruits the Blues bring in at the end of this year to top off their list.

Without extensively knowing their list it can be presumed that they will still have room in their cap to still bring in more experience.

It must be exciting being a Blues supporter knowing that you're knocking on the door to be competitive against all sides once more. :thumbsu:

It will be interesting to see which experienced recruits the Blues bring in at the end of this year to top off their list.

Without extensively knowing their list it can be presumed that they will still have room in their cap to still bring in more experience.

It must be exciting being a Blues supporter knowing that you're knocking on the door to be competitive against all sides once more. :thumbsu:

I am with you, there will be probably around 6 teams vying for that 7/8 spot in the 8 .... Carlton are no certainties by any means.

May 13, 2007
<---------
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
I am with you, there will be probably around 6 teams vying for that 7/8 spot in the 8 .... Carlton are no certainties by any means.
It just means we have to put up with more Carlton supporters again. I have a number of Blues supporters who also live in Kalg and they have been nice and quiet for years now. They drove me mad when I was living back there in the 90's. :D

It just means we have to put up with more Carlton supporters again. I have a number of Blues supporters who also live in Kalg and they have been nice and quiet for years now. They drove me mad when I was living back there in the 90's. :D

And we will again, hopefully.

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
Yes it really is. That and injecting another pre season into 16 sub 23 year olds ;)

I read your other posts and you're balanced but with me you are oddly arrogant. I'm confused, did I do something to offend?

Just think of this, whilst Carlton is injecting another preseason into 16 sub 23 year olds

Everyone else is also injecting another preseason into high quality players. Bulldogs finished 7th-8th the past two years, you'll be trying to leap frog them and they get Adam Treloar and the No.1 draft pick.

Collingwood finished 8th and drafted five kids in the top 30.

Melbourne finished 9th and have a seasoned playing group that made top 4 a few years ago and could finish anywhere.

When I say Carlton could finish 12th - its not because Carlton is s**t, its because the competition is tight and you'll need a lot of the attributes I listed to go right to get top 8.

A great start to the year helps, and it doesn't get easy for Carlton in Round 1 and Round 2. Could realistically start 0-2 against Richmond and Collingwood who are both very experienced teams. Your record against Richmond (0-10) and Collingwood (1-9) the last ten times would say statistically you'll start 0-2 ... it's the more likely scenario.

Then in Round 3 you're playing Fremantle in Perth and Round 4 the Gold Coast in QLD... and the GC early in a season is far more difficult statically than playing them at the end of the season. Round 5 and 6 you play the teams that finished 1st and 2nd in 2020.

The first month will tell us plenty about Carlton.

I've got you pencilled in at 1-5, I suspect you'll beat Gold Coast, but have you losing to Richmond, Collingwood, Port, Brisbane and Fremantle in Perth. Then the supporter backlash kicks in, the player disengagement, the panic and in Round 7 ... you play celler dwellers Essendon. Who the last 11 times? 5-5 and a draw 😬😬😬😬 lose that and finals are finished and then the media circus begins.

Round 8 and 9 - the 8 point games, Bulldogs and Melbourne and if the confidence and momentum is done at this point, might beat one and your record could be 2-7 or 3-6 at best. I just dont see Carlton playing finals.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I read your other posts and you're balanced but with me you are oddly arrogant. I'm confused, did I do something to offend?

Just think of this, whilst Carlton is injecting another preseason into 16 sub 23 year olds

Everyone else is also injecting another preseason into high quality players. Bulldogs finished 7th-8th the past two years, you'll be trying to leap frog them and they get Adam Treloar and the No.1 draft pick.

Collingwood finished 8th and drafted five kids in the top 30.

Melbourne finished 9th and have a seasoned playing group that made top 4 a few years ago and could finish anywhere.

When I say Carlton could finish 12th - its not because Carlton is sh*t, its because the competition is tight and you'll need a lot of the attributes I listed to go right to get top 8.

A great start to the year helps, and it doesn't get easy for Carlton in Round 1 and Round 2. Could realistically start 0-2 against Richmond and Collingwood who are both very experienced teams. Your record against Richmond (0-10) and Collingwood (1-9) the last ten times would say statistically you'll start 0-2 ... it's the more likely scenario.

Then in Round 3 you're playing Fremantle in Perth and Round 4 the Gold Coast in QLD... and the GC early in a season is far more difficult statically than playing them at the end of the season. Round 5 and 6 you play the teams that finished 1st and 2nd in 2020.

The first month will tell us plenty about Carlton.

I've got you pencilled in at 1-5, I suspect you'll beat Gold Coast, but have you losing to Richmond, Collingwood, Port, Brisbane and Fremantle in Perth. Then the supporter backlash kicks in, the player disengagement, the panic and in Round 7 ... you play celler dwellers Essendon. Who the last 11 times? 5-5 and a draw 😬😬😬😬 lose that and finals are finished and then the media circus begins.

Round 8 and 9 - the 8 point games, Bulldogs and Melbourne and if the confidence and momentum is done at this point, might beat one and your record could be 2-7 or 3-6 at best. I just dont see Carlton playing finals.

I'll answer this tomorrow mate.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
The money wont be an obstacle, does he want to play finals, does he want to go home?
I don't think it's productive or interesting to speculate about what a player wants, when we have no idea.

Is he determined to return to WA? I don't know. Does he want on-field success above everything else? I don't know. Does he want to get paid as much as possible? I don't know.

All I offer is my opinion about what clubs (specifically WC) should or shouldn't do, based on certain conservative assumptions about salary demands and potentital trade terms.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
These guys are yet to put together a decent string of games, not arguing they wont make it, but as of now they are steak knives material, we are talking Cripps.
We're talking aboout obtaining an extra first-rounder.

WC could do that if they decided Cripps was worth $6 million over six years and wanted him. This idea that "WC don't have the capital" is nonsense. Every club has the capital to get hold of another first-rounder.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Says the guy who thinks playing Josh Kennedy, Jack Darling, Oscar Allen, Bailey Williams and Nic Naitanui in the same team isn't too tall.

Jog on, noob.
That's a decision to be made but it's not a non-starter.

Stop peddling fake certainty. It doesn't fool people.

You're like a kid who's been paying attention for five minutes but is desperate to be regarded as an expert. So you make a series of hard and fast statements that are based on a whole range of unknowns. Stop trying so hard.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Can't see Cripps leaving the Blues even if they miss the 8..He seems like a loyal bloke and has stated numerous times he is in for the long haul with the Blues. Their list is finally in great shape for the first time in Cripps' career...IF they manage to keep their best-22 on the park each week they will play finals this season..they should be pushing top 4 next season and challenging for a flag in 2023 where Cripps will be in his prime.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Can't see Cripps leaving the Blues even if they miss the 8..He seems like a loyal bloke and has stated numerous times he is in for the long haul with the Blues. Their list is finally in great shape for the first time in Cripps' career...IF they manage to keep their best-22 on the park each week they will play finals this season..they should be pushing top 4 next season and challenging for a flag in 2023 where Cripps will be in his prime.
That’s a very optimistic outlook that they should be top 4 by next year. They are on the up but so are a handful of teams. Brisbane, Port, Saints, Bulldogs and Freo are all relatively young, GC could be anything in a couple of years, Richmond, Cats, Eagles don’t look like dropping significantly anytime soon.

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
Im
Wasn't Jeremy Cameron lauded as a loyal bloke?

End of the day - Blues weren't very loyal to sos and his family - if a legend like that doesn't demand loyalty from the organisation, then why would Cripps feel obliged to them?

The way a club treats its champions and past players is essential to current players reciprocating loyalty. No high profile recruit has left Richmond since Brad Ottens in 2004 (Deledio was mutual, we wanted him out and he wanted to go), why? Look how the Tigers treat Richo. They took the premierships up to Darwin to take photos and spend the day with the Bowden's as Michael Bowden was terminally ill.
That’s a very optimistic outlook that they should be top 4 by next year. They are on the up but so are a handful of teams. Brisbane, Port, Saints, Bulldogs and Freo are all relatively young, GC could be anything in a couple of years, Richmond, Cats, Eagles don’t look like dropping significantly anytime soon.
I agree with you, what I will say ... the ladder is flattering to the interstate teams. I know its a tiresome argument, but I could easily see the Dogs and Pies flip with the Lions and Port. No disrespect to Port and Brisbane, especially Brisbane who have made top 4 two years in a row, but Bulldogs and Collingwood have both made Grand Finals in the past five years and again ... are quality teams, who will play more home games and sleep in their own beds.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

Its only a point of discussion because he is facing a decision over re signing, hasnt resigned. Going home is an alternative.

May 23, 2010
Chalong 83130
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth (Demons)
Guess it also depends on how badly he wants to be with his gf.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
The issue is with his long term girlfriend, who has apparently made the decision to move to WA to be with her family, as she is battling a very severe OCD illness. The 'Carlton missing finals' is a smokescreen. It has nothing to do with his loyalty at Carlton. The question is, will Cripps follow her back?

IMO he will request a trade back to WA at the end of this coming season, but will also accept that if a deal cant be done, he'll stay at the blues, dealing with the inconvenience of having to travel interstate on occasion to see his girlfriend (or vice versa). If Freo or WCE want him, they will have to overpay.
Well, what constitutes "overpaying"?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back