Rumour Patrick Cripps will go home to WA if Carlton miss the finals in 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I read your other posts and you're balanced but with me you are oddly arrogant. I'm confused, did I do something to offend?

Just think of this, whilst Carlton is injecting another preseason into 16 sub 23 year olds

Everyone else is also injecting another preseason into high quality players. Bulldogs finished 7th-8th the past two years, you'll be trying to leap frog them and they get Adam Treloar and the No.1 draft pick.

Collingwood finished 8th and drafted five kids in the top 30.

Melbourne finished 9th and have a seasoned playing group that made top 4 a few years ago and could finish anywhere.

When I say Carlton could finish 12th - its not because Carlton is sh*t, its because the competition is tight and you'll need a lot of the attributes I listed to go right to get top 8.

A great start to the year helps, and it doesn't get easy for Carlton in Round 1 and Round 2. Could realistically start 0-2 against Richmond and Collingwood who are both very experienced teams. Your record against Richmond (0-10) and Collingwood (1-9) the last ten times would say statistically you'll start 0-2 ... it's the more likely scenario.

Then in Round 3 you're playing Fremantle in Perth and Round 4 the Gold Coast in QLD... and the GC early in a season is far more difficult statically than playing them at the end of the season. Round 5 and 6 you play the teams that finished 1st and 2nd in 2020.

The first month will tell us plenty about Carlton.

I've got you pencilled in at 1-5, I suspect you'll beat Gold Coast, but have you losing to Richmond, Collingwood, Port, Brisbane and Fremantle in Perth. Then the supporter backlash kicks in, the player disengagement, the panic and in Round 7 ... you play celler dwellers Essendon. Who the last 11 times? 5-5 and a draw 😬😬😬😬 lose that and finals are finished and then the media circus begins.

Round 8 and 9 - the 8 point games, Bulldogs and Melbourne and if the confidence and momentum is done at this point, might beat one and your record could be 2-7 or 3-6 at best. I just dont see Carlton playing finals.

One thing we certainly have going for us is we've had a reasonable record against a number of those teams that'll be projected to finish around the same range. We'd the wood over Freo, have had wins against the Bulldogs the past couple of years and even at our lowest ebb had good tussles with Melbourne, and won a couple of games.

Collingwood will drop out IMO. A bunch of underdeveloped rookies wont do much in year one, and the loss of Treloar and slowing of Pendlebury and/or Sidebottom will probably be the sticking point. Add in a tumultuous off season, and they could be set for a big fall.

Still lingering issues with lack of KP talent and depth.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
The issue is with his long term girlfriend, who has apparently made the decision to move to WA to be with her family, as she is battling a very severe OCD illness. The 'Carlton missing finals' is a smokescreen. It has nothing to do with his loyalty at Carlton. The question is, will Cripps follow her back?

IMO he will request a trade back to WA at the end of this coming season, but will also accept that if a deal cant be done, he'll stay at the blues, dealing with the inconvenience of having to travel interstate on occasion to see his girlfriend (or vice versa). If Freo or WCE want him, they will have to overpay.

Could also be curtains for the relationship if his partner has decided to move back.

It may actually make his decision to remain in Melbourne slightly easier.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
One thing we certainly have going for us is we've had a reasonable record against a number of those teams that'll be projected to finish around the same range. We'd the wood over Freo, have had wins against the Bulldogs the past couple of years and even at our lowest ebb had good tussles with Melbourne, and won a couple of games.

Collingwood will drop out IMO. A bunch of underdeveloped rookies wont do much in year one, and the loss of Treloar and slowing of Pendlebury and/or Sidebottom will probably be the sticking point. Add in a tumultuous off season, and they could be set for a big fall.

Must be hurting Carlton having Curnow's recurring knee issues and McGovern seriously underperforming. I'd assume McGovern's contract is now significantly lower, but between him and Curnow, that must be $1mil+ in KPPs you aren't getting proper use out of. Dogs have had the same trouble with Trengove and Schache the past few years, although we finally moved Trengove on, and Schache is OOC after 2021. I still think Carlton could make finals this year, but having another decent key forward come in wouldn't hurt at all. Casboult won't be around forever, and if Curnow doesn't fully recover, it leaves you with McKay and not much else up forward.

On a seperate note, in the unlikely event Cripps did leave, I'd think Dunkley would be a fantastic replacement. In 2019, from Round 7 onwards when he played midfield, he was matching Cripps + Oliver in terms of performances. He's clearly gettable since Essendon of all clubs managed to get him to request a trade, he may be surplus to needs at the Dogs provided Libba stays fit and West comes on, and I'd think Carlton would be 10x more enticing of a destination than the Bombers right now, even if you missed finals.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne

You have lost your last five against Melbourne, your last win against us when Roos was still coaching. Carlton need to get over the hump against at least one of us or the Pies in 2021 to take the next step.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Must be hurting Carlton having Curnow's recurring knee issues and McGovern seriously underperforming. I'd assume McGovern's contract is now significantly lower, but between him and Curnow, that must be $1mil+ in KPPs you aren't getting proper use out of. Dogs have had the same trouble with Trengove and Schache the past few years, although we finally moved Trengove on, and Schache is OOC after 2021. I still think Carlton could make finals this year, but having another decent key forward come in wouldn't hurt at all. Casboult won't be around forever, and if Curnow doesn't fully recover, it leaves you with McKay and not much else up forward.

On a seperate note, in the unlikely event Cripps did leave, I'd think Dunkley would be a fantastic replacement. In 2019, from Round 7 onwards when he played midfield, he was matching Cripps + Oliver in terms of performances. He's clearly gettable since Essendon of all clubs managed to get him to request a trade, he may be surplus to needs at the Dogs provided Libba stays fit and West comes on, and I'd think Carlton would be 10x more enticing of a destination than the Bombers right now, even if you missed finals.

I was talking about Collingwood's KPP issues ;) Still relying on Mason Cox as their primary forward target.

McGovern will perform better in an improved Carlton team. He's always had fitness issues, but still managed to manufacture goals at Adelaide. Understandably he's struggled in a poor team with a couple of other targets. We haven't him with our ball use, and he hasn't helped us with his horrible endurance base. If he had the kind of fitness of someone like Adelaide's Tom Lynch he'd be pinching goals on turnover far more often.

Having Curnow out is annoying, but really we need to sharpen up between the arcs and make it difficult for teams to defend against us. We have enough dangerous smaller forwards to create opportunities, it's a matter of having far more predictable patterns, which comes through repetition - currently we're all over the shop with this.

I'm sure we will scope out options if Cripps does choose to leave, and Dunkley would be a perfect target, but I highly doubt he does. Seems the kind of guy who'd want to get some reward for his years of toiling in battling team, but the yardstick is finals, and if we don't hit that mark we leave ourselves pretty vulnerable. I doubt Teague survives in that instance either.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
You have lost your last five against Melbourne, your last win against us when Roos was still coaching. Carlton need to get over the hump against at least one of us or the Pies in 2021 to take the next step.

The contests have generally been pretty close though, and I think we'd be pretty confident going into the next Blues v Dees game.

The contests have generally been pretty close though, and I think we'd be pretty confident going into the next Blues v Dees game.
I'm hoping Freo have their mature talls available when we play Carlton this year, 2020 we didn't have any of our mature key backs and lost with the last kick of the game (still hurts) but not turning up after half time is where Freo lost that match and then in 2019 we had no key forwards and lost with the last kick of the game (pretty much) again after leading by over four goals earlier in the game.

Maybe 2021 is the year we don't have any mature midfielders and somehow get out to a four goal lead early, then the siren goes right before the Carlton player kicks the ball to goal and although he kicks it the umpires rule the siren had gone already.

That seems to fit the pattern, Carlton's wins were getting closer and closer to the end of the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 13, 2007
<---------
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Seahawks, Huskies, Newcastle Utd.
So what's the magic number between overpaying and getting him on the cheap?
It's all subjective and there would be a huge margin between WCE and Blues supporters when trying to find his worth.

FWIW I don't think he'll head west.

Even though he's a great player, I also don't want him at WCE as getting in a 27 year-old at considerable cost could ruin our list profile.

As for your question, what would the Blues want?

Player and a 1st rounder more than likely.

If it's a player then they'd presumably they'd want a best 22. We then need to get someone to head east if so. As supporters none of us has any idea of anyone that wanting out.

Or two 1st rounders?

Eagles have picks 12, 31, 35, 40 this year. Say picks 12 and 40 next year if we stay the same.

Picks 12 and 12?

That's overpaying for me but the Blues might see that as going cheap. 1,268 points x 2 = 2,532 = pick 2 equivalent.

I'd only want to pay just over what the Blues would get if they received any compensation.

Keep an eye on the Swans.

Got told back in 2018 that they’d throw the sink at him, and recently one of our more informed posters on the Hawk board says they’ve heard similar.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back