Rumour Patrick Cripps will go home to WA if Carlton miss the finals in 2021

2012 - Left shoulder injured, didn't heal well and had to have surgery. Played finals
2013 - Played in grand final
2014 - Played in finals
2015 - Played in finals, won Brownlow medal

2016 - Broke the same leg twice in a 12 month span.
2018 - 6 weeks out due to hamstring injury.
2019 - Won brownlow medal
2020 - 3 weeks out due to the same hamstring injured.

Cripps has never in his 8 year career missed multiple games in a row due to injury. "iNjUrY pRoNe"

Availability isn't the only metric between the two.

If the pull home comes from the partner then the loyalty card is being played, do you expect a country boy to be loyal to his club over his family? Of course not.

This year will be exciting.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Availability isn't the only metric between the two.

If the pull home comes from the partner then the loyalty card is being played, do you expect a country boy to be loyal to his club over his family? Of course not.

This year will be exciting.

And by the same token if his partner plays the 'unless you move back to WA the relationship is over' card, does that necessarily mean Cripps' is bound to head back?

No guarantees the relationship is going to stay in tact either.

And by the same token if his partner plays the 'unless you move back to WA the relationship is over' card, does that necessarily mean Cripps' is bound to head back?

No guarantees the relationship is going to stay in tact either.

If he didn't break up with her after spending literal hours on the phone in hotel rooms working to get her to tomorrow, I don't expect the idea of moving to be closer to home where she might think she is better off is going to a drawback.

Unless Carlton have done something funky with their payments and bought a bunch of players recently then I'd expect the pay to be about the same wherever he goes, usually the player moving gets paid better and more up front - so we are looking at taking less to lose his relationship but stay at his current job or get more to be closer to home, with the family.

But that's only if she is a draw factor. If it's about money then she will be all over the media. It's always family reasons when it's money reasons but we don't have the maturity to be able to accept that players have a limited work life and need to maximise their return.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
If he didn't break up with her after spending literal hours on the phone in hotel rooms working to get her to tomorrow, I don't expect the idea of moving to be closer to home where she might think she is better off is going to a drawback.

Unless Carlton have done something funky with their payments and bought a bunch of players recently then I'd expect the pay to be about the same wherever he goes, usually the player moving gets paid better and more up front - so we are looking at taking less to lose his relationship but stay at his current job or get more to be closer to home, with the family.

But that's only if she is a draw factor. If it's about money then she will be all over the media. It's always family reasons when it's money reasons but we don't have the maturity to be able to accept that players have a limited work life and need to maximise their return.

You're taking the piss suggesting Cripps is going to get paid less if he stays at Carlton. West Coast's salary cap issues are well documented, and Fremantle already have a million dollar player on their list, plus a host of young players they'll need to extend over the coming years.

We can talk in circles about how much each club has available, but as our only elite player of the past 5 years he'd already be earning a very decent amount, and his pay will only increase as we extend him into the back half of the career.

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sandringham Zebras, Melbourne Renegades
Jesus, if you listened to Carlton supporters, you'd come away thinking they've just gone back to back and Cripps was Dusty.

What an oddly delusional fan base.
1 - It ain't Cripps' fault that he has never played in a final, he just has played in a 💩 team his whole career.
2 - Cripps and Dusty play totally different roles. Cripps is 10cm taller and spends pretty much no time up forward. You can't compare them.

Apr 1, 2008
NASA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg
Say what you will about him being a past Coleman medalist, across his 8 year career Cameron has averaged just over 2 goals a game, or about 45 goals a season.

Let's be honest here, a KPF who kicks around 50 a year is much easier to get your hands on than one of the best, if not the best, inside mids currently in the league.

So knowing that Cameron is worth pick 13, 15, and 20 (all which are picks between 10 and 20 ;)), you would think that Cripps would be worth another pick in that range to truly match his value.

Not such a "ridiculous statement" after all?

Riddle me this: how many players in the league average more goals per game over their career than Cameron?

(Answer: 1, and he's on the biggest contract the game has ever seen)

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yet he still is behind Cripps on every single major stat for an inside mid. Just another reason why awards don't mean anything.

Your argument doesn't make sense. It doesn't matter if Cripps played the last 5 years in the guts, or just last year, stats can't be added up and accumulated over years. That's why averages are used.

Averages are averaged over games played.
Cerra for example was played in the backline for his first two years of football because of Mundy Fyfe Neale(1year) were in the centre.
So his average disposals, centre clearance numbers aren’t special yet.
Same as Fyfe we recruited him as a hybrid fwd and he was played fwd last year to give minutes to serong cerra brayshaw (and we have few fwds).
You won’t accept finals played, awards won or compare best years you cling to the one bunch of stats that keep Cripps in the same breath as Fyfe.

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
You won’t accept finals played, awards won or compare best years you cling to the one bunch of stats that keep Cripps in the same breath as Fyfe.
Norm Smith, Jono Brown, John Nicholls, Jason Dunstall, Ron Barassi, Kevin Bartlett, Wayne Carey, Ted Whitten, Ablett Snr and Leigh Mathews never won a Brownlow. Robert Harvey, Nathan Buckley, Tony Lockett, Ablett Snr, Nick Riewoldt, Bob Skilton and Matt Pav never won a premiership.

Just because you win an award or get an achievement, doesn't make you better than someone else. Yet when Cripps leads Fyfe in contested possessions, clearances, tackles etc, everyone just brushes it off.

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Norm Smith, Jono Brown, John Nicholls, Jason Dunstall, Ron Barassi, Kevin Bartlett, Wayne Carey, Ted Whitten, Ablett Snr and Leigh Mathews never won a Brownlow. Robert Harvey, Nathan Buckley, Tony Lockett, Ablett Snr, Nick Riewoldt, Bob Skilton and Matt Pav never won a premiership.

Just because you win an award or get an achievement, doesn't make you better than someone else. Yet when Cripps leads Fyfe in contested possessions, clearances, tackles etc, everyone just brushes it off.
But they all did something special
Kicked a 1000+goals won brownlows flags played 350+ games 6+bnf wins
Cripps has done none of them.
If I had my head around technology I’d find you twenty players with better career averages then Chris Judd and 15 wouldn’t get close to peak Judd.
Cripps stats s**t all over Judd.
But another player that I’ve watched that’s better then Cripps.

You're taking the piss suggesting Cripps is going to get paid less if he stays at Carlton. West Coast's salary cap issues are well documented, and Fremantle already have a million dollar player on their list, plus a host of young players they'll need to extend over the coming years.

We can talk in circles about how much each club has available, but as our only elite player of the past 5 years he'd already be earning a very decent amount, and his pay will only increase as we extend him into the back half of the career.
It's fairly common for big name free agents to take unders to stay at their current club.

All of Fyfe, McGovern and Martin have done that.

May 23, 2010
Chalong 83130
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth (Demons)
Jesus, if you listened to Carlton supporters, you'd come away thinking they've just gone back to back and Cripps was Dusty.

What an oddly delusional fan base.
LOL...Love the "WC Well documented salary cap issues"..GOLD from the Carlton mob.
It's almost as if they're paranoid!!

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Adam Cerra yet to sign with Freo. Cerra plus ??? for Cripps.
I wouldn’t do a straight swap.
There is more then stats, team cohesion trust experience together.
I don’t want a captain that’s deserted his club.
I’d rather Fyfe serong cerra brayshaw running a muck for the next 5 years.
Voss lappin black ackermanis played 150+ games in the same team and they were the best midfield I’ve ever seen.

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
I don’t want a captain that’s deserted his club.
The only reason Cripps would leave, is to support his girlfriend with mental health troubles. Cripps will not leave to 'chase success' at another club, and anyone who thinks so is clearly delusional.

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
The only reason Cripps would leave, is to support his girlfriend with mental health troubles. Cripps will not leave to 'chase success' at another club, and anyone who thinks so is clearly delusional.
I think we’re on the same page coming from different angles.
I don’t want him at freo, you want him to stay at the blues.
We both think he will stay at the blues.
We are both hoping he resigns very soon.

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
I think we’re on the same page coming from different angles.
I don’t want him at freo, you want him to stay at the blues.
We both think he will stay at the blues.
We are both hoping he resigns very soon.
I get where you're coming from, but what was the point of saying you "don't want a captain who deserted his club", when we both know that will not happen?

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Kennedy's career average is fractionally below Cameron's.
If Cameron is playing at 34 like Kennedy is, his average's will drop below what they are now as his output will drop in his 30's.

When Kennedy (and Riewoldt) were are their peaks, their averages were significantly higher than what Cameron's is now (and ever was).

Peak Kennedy > Peak Cameron

Last edited:
Back