Rumour Patrick Cripps will go home to WA if Carlton miss the finals in 2021

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sandringham Zebras, Melbourne Renegades
Because your so close to him?
Do you do his readings as well?
Because if you pay attention to press conferences and interviews, it's quite easy to read between the lines.

Screen Shot 2021-01-29 at 7.24.24 pm.png
nlth23eu5zw21.jpg

His girlfriend in WA was hospitalised last year. The only reason anyone could ever see him leaving would be to support her.

May 23, 2010
Chalong 83130
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth (Demons)
Because if you pay attention to press conferences and interviews, it's quite easy to read between the lines.

View attachment 1055924View attachment 1055925

His girlfriend in WA was hospitalised last year. The only reason anyone could ever see him leaving would be to support her.
True, I remember Dangerfield, Judd , Franklin etc saying similar stuff, so yeah It definitely can't be disputed...

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
1 - It ain't Cripps' fault that he has never played in a final, he just has played in a 💩 team his whole career.
2 - Cripps and Dusty play totally different roles. Cripps is 10cm taller and spends pretty much no time up forward. You can't compare them.

So if a player has played 7 seasons for 0 finals (without fault) and can't be compared to the best player in his position because said player is more veratile why would he be worth an unrealistic historic trade value?

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
So if a player has played 7 seasons for 0 finals (without fault) and can't be compared to the best player in his position because said player is more veratile why would he be worth an unrealistic historic trade value?
Of course versatility favours value, but that isn't what we were talking about.

In my opinion, Cripps is the best inside mid in the league when looking at pure skill and output. I also think that Cripps' trade value (even in 2022 when he's turning 27yo), is about two top 5 picks, which is the equivalent of four top 20 picks.

Cripps has always historically played in the guts. His first ever 'wear and tear' injury was bound to happen. Now with the additions of Zilliams and Martin, it allows him to play more forward and increase longevity. He has barely hit his prime, and has a long career (with hopefully a premiership or two ;)) ahead.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm overvaluing Cripps? You brought in Kelly for 4 first rounders yourself! Yes they're both elite players, but Cripps in my mind is worth more than Kelly regardless if you overpaid.

And it still baffles me that people think Cripps has "injury issues". FFS, he has his first proper injury in 8 years and people are acting like he's the new Alex Johnson.

WTF.......um so what exactly did the Eagles pay for Kelly?

Is that you Trumpy?

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast

View attachment 1055924View attachment 1055925

True, I remember Dangerfield, Judd , Franklin etc saying similar stuff, so yeah It definitely can't be disputed...
Buddy Franklin flat out said "I want to stay with Hawthorn" on AFL 360 in mid 2013 and then joined the Swans months later (which we later found out was in the works since October 2012).

Look how deceptive Joe Daniher is in this interview below. He played down the fact that he publicly met with Sydney's CEO (while contracted for another year with Essendon) and essentially rubbishes the rumour as "click bait" by saying "perception is not reality" even though we later found out it was true. That interview was conducted on 8 August 2019 and he officially requested a trade to Sydney on 4 October 2019 (57 days later). We also know he joined Brisbane as a free agent 12 months later.

Too many people assume every athlete has high integrity but it's been proven time and time again to not be the case. It's not just the public being deceived either. Jaeger O'Meara told Tony Cochrane to his face that he was staying with the Suns and shook his hand before requesting a trade to Hawthorn the very next day.

It would be foolish to take their word as gospel. They are going to do whatever is best for them and their career when they need to make a decision. Add in the fact that Cripps' girlfriend is struggling in WA and you have a situation where his decision may have already been made for him.

teagueyubeauty

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Somewhere there
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool, Yankees
2012 - Left shoulder injured, didn't heal well and had to have surgery.
2016 - Broke the same leg twice in a 12 month span.
2018 - 6 weeks out due to hamstring injury.
2020 - 3 weeks out due to the same hamstring injured.

Cripps has never in his 8 year career missed multiple games in a row due to injury. "iNjUrY pRoNe"

He broke his leg against Melbourne a few years back when I think it was Oliver dived on his leg smothering the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

RAPPA

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 20, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Let’s be honest. If any player is coming up to the expiry of their contract and they are originally from interstate, then there’s always the possibility that they choose to go home. Equally there’s always the opportunity that they seek to move to a different club for one of a myriad of reasons including success, opportunity and more pay.

Until a contract is signed, the speculation will be rife. Cripps saying he wants to stay at Carlton is positive, but which player doesn’t always make the same sort of statement pre decision. It’s no slight on Cripps. That’s just the business. No player is dumb enough to say they won’t sign, particularly where they still have time to run on their existing contract.

May 23, 2010
Chalong 83130
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth (Demons)
Let’s be honest. If any player is coming up to the expiry of their contract and they are originally from interstate, then there’s always the possibility that they choose to go home. Equally there’s always the opportunity that they seek to move to a different club for one of a myriad of reasons including success, opportunity and more pay.

Until a contract is signed, the speculation will be rife. Cripps saying he wants to stay at Carlton is positive, but which player doesn’t always make the same sort of statement pre decision. It’s no slight on Cripps. That’s just the business. No player is dumb enough to say they won’t sign, particularly where they still have time to run on their existing contract.
Nailed it

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Of course versatility favours value, but that isn't what we were talking about.

In my opinion, Cripps is the best inside mid in the league when looking at pure skill and output. I also think that Cripps' trade value (even in 2022 when he's turning 27yo), is about two top 5 picks, which is the equivalent of four top 20 picks.

That's just fluff. Cripps is not in the top top echelon of midfielders in the comp. Few are. He's in the next bracket down. And no one pays a premium for "best inside mid".

Dangerfield at 25 years old went for picks 9 and 28 and Dean Gore. Cripps isn't being traded for two top 5 picks at 26. That's fanciful.

Lachie Neale (25 and under contract) went for picks 6, 19, 55 with 30 going back the other way. On magic AFL points that's 2,277 or pick 3 worth.

I'm all ears for a justification of why Cripps is worth double (on points anyway, it's much easier to accumulate picks in the 20s and 30s than get top 5 picks) Neale and Dangerfield.

Cripps has always historically played in the guts. His first ever 'wear and tear' injury was bound to happen. Now with the additions of Zilliams and Martin, it allows him to play more forward and increase longevity. He has barely hit his prime, and has a long career (with hopefully a premiership or two ;)) ahead.

Those two guys combined for 34 clearances last year.

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Those two guys combined for 34 clearances last year.
Which would make sense considering both Martin and Williams spent their majority of time up forward and in defence respectively...

Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 7.03.55 am.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 7.03.33 am.png

Now with positional changes, it provides the ultimate support for Cripps this year.

Williams is one of a number of players Carlton is hoping will graduate to midfield positions this season, with Martin and Cuningham both training extensively with the on-ball group this summer after spending large periods forward last year.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
That's just fluff. Cripps is not in the top top echelon of midfielders in the comp. Few are. He's in the next bracket down. And no one pays a premium for "best inside mid".

Dangerfield at 25 years old went for picks 9 and 28 and Dean Gore. Cripps isn't being traded for two top 5 picks at 26. That's fanciful.

Lachie Neale (25 and under contract) went for picks 6, 19, 55 with 30 going back the other way. On magic AFL points that's 2,277 or pick 3 worth.

I'm all ears for a justification of why Cripps is worth double (on points anyway, it's much easier to accumulate picks in the 20s and 30s than get top 5 picks) Neale and Dangerfield.

That might be true, but a big part of that is simply what picks clubs have available and what trades could conceivably happen around those picks. Dangerfield went for significant unders because that is all the Cats had, Neale went for more than Dangerfield and probably bang on his worth because the Lions could negotiate trades to enable that deal.

By contrast Carlton spent a lot of the early part of last years trade window trying to find a club to downgrade out Pick 8 into a couple of lower picks to facilitate the Saad trade, but couldn't manage to get enough compensation for that pick so we had to pay overs to get him to the club.

I don't think Cripps is worth multiple Top 5 picks either. A singular Top 5 selection is preferable, but we're hamstrung if a club doesn't have those kinds of picks and will either have to target players or push for a future first.

There's no use discussing West Coast, who are struggling to pay existing players, but if Cripps wanted to go home and nominated Freo I imagine we'd target one of their young guns in addition to a top pick, preferably Young or Cerra, rather than push for a second 1st rounder.

Last edited:
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
That might be true, but a big part of that is simply what picks clubs have available and what trades could conceivably happen around those picks. Dangerfield went for significant unders because that is all the Cats had, Neale went for more than Dangerfield and probably bang on his worth because the Lions could negotiate trades to enable that deal.

By contrast Carlton spent a lot of the early part of last years trade window trying to find a club to downgrade out Pick 8 into a couple of lower picks to facilitate the Saad trade, but couldn't manage to get enough compensation for that pick so we had to pay overs to get him to the club.

I don't think Cripps is worth multiple Top 5 picks either. A singular Top 5 selection is preferable, but we're hamstrung if a club doesn't have those kinds of picks and will either have to target players or push for a future first.

There's no use discussing West Coast, who are struggling to pay existing players, but if Cripps wanted to go home and nominated Freo I imagine we'd target one of their young guns in addition to a top pick, preferably Young or Cerra, rather than push for a second 1st rounder.

It's a two way street with the bolded. Best case for Carlton if Cripps wants to leave is that the team he wants to join misses the finals and has a top 10 pick and Carlton end up with a Treloar/Shiel type trade. No guarantees any Freo player wants to leave, but in the position of having considerable cap space available it would be the smart play to target one of them, or alternatively look at draft compensation + cap space as currency to get a replacement player in their prime from elsewhere. If a top 5 FA compo pick is on offer vs a trade with a team whose best pick is 15-20 then matching isn't a no-brainer. Gold Coast didn't match Lynch because Richmond could get nowhere near pick 3. GWS matching Cameron was no doubt influenced by seeing the picks Geelong had from the Kelly trade.

I wouldn't be discounting WC at all. Talk of us struggling to pay existing players is just that, talk, and the AFL cap rules are so flimsy that signing a 26 year old on a 5+ year deal is easily doable. We still have 14 players older than Cripps on the books, and guys like McGovern and Gaff who signed deals as free agents are 3 years older and will be 3 years in to those contracts at the end of this season. If we can only offer Cripps $400k in 2022 and 2023 then we should not be able to offer him $1m a year based on making up that $1.2m in 2025. It's a dumb system but what we have. But I don't think he will leave in 2021 anyway.

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
As much as I would love the rumour to be true, it won't happen

Its rare that gun WA boys come home after experiencing the bright lights of Melbourne and if they do, they rarely play as well as they did. In fact, when it does happen that a gun WA player comes home, its excepted amongst us Eagles fans that it's "going to take a few seasons for them to come good"

Tim Kelly, Lewis Jetta, Sharod Wellingham, Jamie Cripps........ etc, etc

Nov 18, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
As much as I would love the rumour to be true, it won't happen

Its rare that gun WA boys come home after experiencing the bright lights of Melbourne and if they do, they rarely play as well as they did. In fact, when it does happen that a gun WA player comes home, its excepted amongst us Eagles fans that it's "going to take a few seasons for them to come good"

Tim Kelly, Lewis Jetta, Sharod Wellingham, Jamie Cripps........ etc, etc

Wellingham could have been anything without that unfortunate trampoline accident

Its rare that gun WA boys come home
This plays out with long term stats, across all WA players drafted to interstate clubs. Of those that move from that club to another, 50% are to other non-WA clubs.

Cripps leaving Carlton is equally likely to return to WA as he is to joining another non-WA club.

Back