Rumour Patrick Cripps will go home to WA if Carlton miss the finals in 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

When the Swans offer Cripps a truck load of money he'll change his tune pretty quickly.
I'm hearing he is genuinely torn between being loyal to Carlton and a Buddy type Swans offer.

I'm hearing he is genuinely torn between being loyal to Carlton and a Buddy type Swans offer.
I'm hearing he is happy to go to Hawfs for half what he is being paid right now - as long as Clarko gives him a guitar lesson.

Asking for 2 x top 5 picks is way overs for Cripps. He's a beast and would be a good get, but that's ridiculous. Winning a contested ball and feeding outside to others is not enough. His overlap run is poor. I've seen him jogging too often when he doesn't have the ball. His field kicking and set shots are below average.

We've had a pure inside player like him in Pridda. Opposition teams used to sag off him, lock down Shuey and Gaff killing his handball outlet options and you'd see Pridda wheeling around in a half circle, and then have to hack it forward himself. Exactly what oppo teams wanted him to do. Possibly why all of those Cripps clearance stats don't translate to wins when you don't have the outside talent around him. Cripps is a good contested mark but if your 10cm bigger than Pridda, you should be.

Players that can win the ball in congestion and break the line through strength or speed AND create by foot are the real elite players. Think Danger, Dusty etc currently but peak West Coast Judd before the adductor tear is the best I've seen at that. To think you're getting more than 2 x mid to late first rounders like we paid for Kelly is a little fanciful.

Asking for 2 x top 5 picks is way overs for Cripps. He's a beast and would be a good get, but that's ridiculous. Winning a contested ball and feeding outside to others is not enough. His overlap run is poor. I've seen him jogging too often when he doesn't have the ball. His field kicking and set shots are below average.

We've had a pure inside player like him in Pridda. Opposition teams used to sag off him, lock down Shuey and Gaff killing his handball outlet options and you'd see Pridda wheeling around in a half circle, and then have to hack it forward himself. Exactly what oppo teams wanted him to do. Possibly why all of those Cripps clearance stats don't translate to wins when you don't have the outside talent around him. Cripps is a good contested mark but if your 10cm bigger than Pridda, you should be.

Players that can win the ball in congestion and break the line through strength or speed AND create by foot are the real elite players. Think Danger, Dusty etc currently but peak West Coast Judd before the adductor tear is the best I've seen at that. To think you're getting more than 2 x mid to late first rounders like we paid for Kelly is a little fanciful.

The main reason it's fanciful is in almost all situations the club the player is requesting to go to has no viable way of securing two high end picks. Or even one high pick if it's top a top team. This is why i've stated repeatedly that if Cripps was to move the deal done all depends on where he goes. If the team who would be acquiring cripps via free agency isn't ever going to be able to secure a better deal for Carlton than the Free Agency pick then Carlton aren't going to match a bid to make their situation worse.

Cripps doesn't seem to be the sort of player to walk away and the real reason there is talk is due to his family situation and in particular with his partners mental health. Now if a player who has literally given his absolute best for you is genuine in coming forward and says look, I really appreciate everything that the club has done for me and so on and so forth and the only reason i'm taking the free agency option is because of this, the easiest way to burn that bridge forever would be for the club to go you know what, we're matching the offer and if we don't get what we want you can sign with us or go to the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You guys had more chance of daniher staying this year than Merrett staying next year , he's gonski .
If Merrett could play Cripps role we wouldn't need a big bodied mid.

Didn't expect much else from a WC supporter :p

Uploaded yesterday, maybe this will change your mind...

I skimmed over it a bit and something stood out was he wishes to play in finals with a tight contested affair..
Carlton should be positive heading into 2021 after some securing some nice additions to the team ..Unfortunately I have Carlton missing the Top 8 ..

I skimmed over it a bit and something stood out was he wishes to play in finals with a tight contested affair..
Carlton should be positive heading into 2021 after some securing some nice additions to the team ..Unfortunately I have Carlton missing the Top 8 ..

Out of curiosity .. who makes your top 8?

I'm obviously biased, but Carlton's list is looking better than the Pies, Dees, GWS and Freo. We can easily squeeze in between 6th-8th if everything goes to plan.

I'm obviously biased, but Carlton's list is looking better than the Pies, Dees, GWS and Freo. We can easily squeeze in between 6th-8th if everything goes to plan.
Freo's list is actually in top shape. They are just haunted by forward delivery

I can't see Cripps leaving Carlton but the mrs factor is always important to consider

Freo's list is actually in top shape. They are just haunted by forward delivery

I can't see Cripps leaving Carlton but the mrs factor is always important to consider

If he did go back home I would suggest Freo would be the one even though all his good mates play at WC.

We would have to have an all mighty retirement list to afford someone like Cripps

Would need to be something along the lines of Hurn, Kennedy, Redden, Hutchings. Which overall would even likely mean even adding cripps + 3 rookies would mean we are a worse side in 2022. Lets assume we go back to a standard salary cap in 2021. The salary cap increase would cover the rookies easily and there is no way combined Hurn, Kennedy, Redden and Hutchings are on less than 1million combined as base salaries and it's most likely around the mark of 1.2 or more. So there could always be room.

I still don't think he is leaving Carlton unless the whole partner situation is what plays out. Like almost all things you would have to consider player managers and media are playing this out mostly with the aim of Cripps getting absolute top dollar from Carlton.

West Coast is the last game before the bye this year for Carlton - before WC, Carlton plays Richmond|Collingwood|Port|Brisbane and the Doggies as well as Freo who are all serious finalist contenders. Whether Carlton is a chance for finals or not should be determined by then. After the bye - Carlton may well have a couple of welcome aces up its sleeve to slap on the table - all going well. So I can see Carlton just missing, just making it or actually crusing into finals - the days of getting smashed by any side are well and truly over - and young people soon forget the pain of weekly smashings - when they start to experience the reverse.

If Cripps decides to go back to WA - it wont be because Carlton is playing poor football and it wont be for more money - because Carlton can match any money offer. If it is a personal issue (and I know nothing about the presumed background with his GF) then it will out of anyone's hands - except his own. The personal issues are however, not new - Cripps could have asked for a trade if there was pressing emergency re GF and if there was any genuine interest from WC/Freo - at any stage.

On balance I suspect that he, his management and the Club understand the pay game and are all playing it accordingly. It is a big year for contracts at Carlton this year. Harry McKay is the other standout along with Cripps.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back