Patrick Cripps

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
So he is to be judged solely on the period of upheavel at carlton where both he and the club were struggling with some harsh realities. You conveniently leave out the previous performance against the pies that had treloar and sidebottom raving and the fact that he was leading the coaches award at that time.

So let me see if I've got this straight. Up until and including the Pies game, he was fine and the most dominant player in the competition according to coaches votes. Then after that it doesn't count because there was significant upheaval for the next 3 weeks. Then now it counts again because the coach has changed.

Seems legit.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
It’s just a weird opinion to have.

Are Josh Kelly and Stephen Coniglio not stars of the game because they didn’t stand up yesterday to win the game for GWS? I remember a specific piece of play yesterday where Kelly fumbled the ball in the middle, which lead to the winning Adelaide goal.

Sometimes the opposition is just better than you, and no player is immune from having a stinker.

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders

Are Josh Kelly and Stephen Coniglio not stars of the game because they didn’t stand up yesterday to win the game for GWS? I remember a specific piece of play yesterday where Kelly fumbled the ball in the middle, which lead to the winning Adelaide goal.

Sometimes the opposition is just better than you, and no player is immune from having a stinker.
Nobody is arguing Cripps isn't a star. He is. But he can't be considered the best player in the league when he goes missing in the big moments. Yesterday was an exception. I was super impressed, particularly after the Collingwood game when he got one touch in the final ten minutes and his disappearing act cost Carlton the match.

I think to be considered a top 5 player in the game, yesterday's last quarter should be the norm rather than the exception.
Having an alternate opinion is fine.

You are a troll, that's the difference. If you want to be taken seriously by the adults, grow up.
Please play the ball, not the man

Yesterday was the best individual performance since Kouta in the 95 final and Hird against the Eagles.

Was lucky enough to be at the game yesterday.

What ridiculous hyperbole. You have a very, very selective memory. There have been many individual performances over the past twenty five years better than what Cripps did yesterday.

What's the point? When anybody who shares an alternative opinion is belittled or accused of having a mental disability or a concussion, it doesn't make the topic very enjoyable to post about. Unfortunately bigfooty isn't what it used to be and the senseless bullying and name calling has a lot to do with it.

And I was simply pointing out the hypocrisy and blatant lies that is becoming the normality among some moderators.
Opinions based on ignorance shouldn't be taken seriously. You said Cripps is a part of the reason why Carlton has been so poor the past couple of years. The stupidity of that statement is so profound that you deserve to be belittled.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Nobody is arguing Cripps isn't a star. He is. But he can't be considered the best player in the league when he goes missing in the big moments. Yesterday was an exception. I was super impressed, particularly after the Collingwood game when he got one touch in the final ten minutes and his disappearing act cost Carlton the match.

Nope, you're cherrypicking selective moments to suit your own agenda. This is exactly what ManOfClay does, and it comes unstuck incredibly easily.

You could easily say the same rubbish for Kelly, Coniglio and Taranto, who were overrun by Adelaide yesterday. Difference being Cripps is one guy playing in a mediocre team, and rarely gets the opportunity to just win the game for his side, as we're usually not close enough to be in a winning position.

There's no doubt yesterday was an exceptional performance. It was the best individual game I have seen from any player this year, and possibly the best game I have seen by a Carlton player (Kouta's 99 prelim performance comes close, Marc Murphy's game against Collingwood in 2012 was another great game) and his incredible solo effort does nothing to undermine his year this year. That's completely counterintuitive, and that inverse logic only points to Cripps being a victim of his own high standards.

Imagine trying to downplay Cripps under the guise of "He can't be that good, because he doesn't play that well every week." If that were the case there would be no good players running around in the AFL.

Last edited:

Worm4

Premiership Player
May 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I was super impressed, particularly after the Collingwood game when he got one touch in the final ten minutes and his disappearing act cost Carlton the match.

What ridiculous hyperbole. You have a very, very selective memory.

Selective memory - almost every Carlton player in that game didnt touch the ball in the last 10 minutes. You calling out Cripps is bordering on ignorance
Just because you dont rate him top 5 , doesnt mean other people cant. I mean, 99 % of the footballing world couldnt possibly be wrong,and you right on this matter yeah ?

Nov 21, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal FC

I think to be considered a top 5 player in the game, yesterday's last quarter should be the norm rather than the exception.

Wowwwww

Literally every player in the history of the AFL has gone 10 full minutes without touching the footy. If it weren't for him, Carlton would not have been in that game or any other game in the past 2 years for that matter.

What a stupid argument - "he must dominate every quarter of footy to be considered a top 5 player".

Stop digging - this is just embarassing.

90N90S

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton

What ridiculous hyperbole. You have a very, very selective memory. There have been many individual performances over the past twenty five years better than what Cripps did yesterday.

I see what you are doing, you just want to be contrary for the hell of it, good luck to you.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
That can’t be right.
According to several Carlton posters the only time Cripps has a bad game its because he is deliberately tanking to get the coach sacked

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
That can’t be right.
According to several Carlton posters the only time Cripps has a bad game its because he is deliberately tanking to get the coach sacked

All speculative rubbish by posters not really committing an opinion, but trying to reconcile his appalling performances.

The reality is though, in both games he was tagged out, our midfield was overrun and the whole team was in a general recession, which lead to Bolton being sacked.

I suspect there's quite a few young footy fans on here who treat the footy like its a computer game or a Yu-Gi-Oh card game or something. "My guy/stuff/whatever is better/higher level than yours!1!1!" etc.

Real footy is a different story. We've all seen a team of honest battlers knock off a team of stars on their day. Superstars having a lean period for whatever reason. Players who burst onto the scene for a year who look like they'll be stars then fall off a cliff.

It's a hard, dynamic caper and not always predictable which is one of the reasons why we love the game.

bmaurizio

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Singapore
AFL Club
Carlton
Cripps was amazing yesterday as Walsh absurd for a 19 year old in his 12 th game to be in this company.
Especially after the turmoil and extreme pressure of the week to produce a brilliant win, brought a tear to the eye.
These two youngsters are staggeringly good.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I also suspect if Cripps wasn’t the only gun midfielder in the team he’d be less of a target when the team underperforms.

For teams with stacked midfields like GWS, the individuals within the midfield collective escape scrutiny because no one player is expected to single-handedly drag the team over the line.

Cripps has to be the only player in the league who has this enormous performance base.

Worm4

Premiership Player
May 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Tbh to be the best in the league you can't have games of 11 and 12 disposals twice in 3 games.
To be honest, why not ?
I guess when he wins the brownlow this year, people like you will put an asterix *** next to his name. Just celebrate the player he is, and dont be one of those posters who knock him coz he has a down day. Bloke's been bandaged up all year , no one knows what injuries he is carrying, yet has a poor game or two and he is all of a sudden he is considered average . Shame on posters like you

TonaldDrump

Team Captain
Nov 30, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
To be honest, why not ?
I guess when he wins the brownlow this year, people like you will put an asterix *** next to his name. Just celebrate the player he is, and dont be one of those posters who knock him coz he has a down day. Bloke's been bandaged up all year , no one knows what injuries he is carrying, yet has a poor game or two and he is all of a sudden he is considered average . Shame on posters like you
The classic excuse of "he was injured when he played badly" haha.

If he was carrying an injury he wouldn't be playing in a team that's won 5 games out of their last 49.

JohnnyFontane90

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Whilst it was a great individual effort the truth is a few players have torn Brisbane apart individually this year. Just off the top of my head we had the young Rozee with 21 disposals and 5 goals and Tippa with 20 disposals 7 goals, They are pretty vulnerable in defense when things aren't going their way.

I personally don't regard Cripps as the best in the comp and I see this performance as being a clear outlier to his normal level in much the same way that Rozee and Tippa ain't putting out those performances each week either (in fact neither has gotten close). Cripps has actually been pretty ordinary the last month, starting with getting dominated by De Boer where he only get 12 touches, then he had a reasonable game 28 touches vs Saints and then got destroyed by a 2nd gamer, being held to only 11 touches whilst Clarke racked up 24. You wouldn't say any of those games were even AA calibre, 2 of them were downright terrible.

Frankly if he was the best in the comp off his last month, it would be a pretty **** comp. This is just normal reactionary stuff. If he regularly goes on and puts in massive performances from here then sure maybe he can get to that level but right now its way more hype than actual performance.
a 38 possession 4 goal performance is a outlier for just about anyone except prime gary ablett.

dlb99

Club Legend
Sep 14, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I also suspect if Cripps wasn’t the only gun midfielder in the team he’d be less of a target when the team underperforms.

For teams with stacked midfields like GWS, the individuals within the midfield collective escape scrutiny because no one player is expected to single-handedly drag the team over the line.

Cripps has to be the only player in the league who has this enormous performance base.

It is why we need: Walsh, Dow, SPS, Setterfield, Kennedy, Stocker, Cunningham, Kennedy and O'Brian to develop (faster the better). We also must trade the Adelaide 1st round pick (as part of the Stocker trade) for a ready-made midfielder.

Thankfully Walsh was 2nd best on ground, a very good sign.

Hopefully in time teams will need to pick their poison rather than just load up on Cripps.

outabounds

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 21, 2009
Lygon Street
AFL Club
Carlton

LOL.

On Pixel 2 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back