Patrick Cripps

Remove this Banner Ad

Fyfe, Dangerfield, Martin, Grundy, Gawn, Cunnington, Mitchell, T. Kelly. There's eight off the top of my head.

What ever your smoking it’s time to quit.

Apart from Martin, none of them have had a match winning impact this year, Fyfe would be equal for as much team value, Dangerfield has been ok this year and the rest are way more replaceable than Cripps.
I could argue Martin would have less impact in bottom side cos he would get more attention, same as Kelly, Cunnington may seem good statistically but as for importance to a team , Cripps way more valuable.

Clearly "The Beatles" foretold the arrival of "The Great Crippa", just witness their song from "The White Album" - "Revolution 9": "Number 9, Number 9, Number 9, Number 9, Number 9, Number 9, Number 9, Number 9, Number 9, Number 9, Number 9, Number 9,...". Now I need to find the reference to "The Great Crippa" in "The Holy Bible" - I'll try "The Book of Revelation". "Oh Crippa, thoust art the greatest and thou hast come to show all mere mortals the glorious rapture that is your presence on fields of green - we give praise and thanks!"

There should be another thread called "Dylan Clarke - the only thing Essendon have to hang their hat on in 2019"

Carlton suppprters need to relax.... cripps has been doing a lot since 2015 yes but only this year has he actually started to find space then the best option. Only this year has be been evasive as he is he is finally learning to use his size for more than just getting the ball and his going to be seriously dangerous

Fyfe, Dangerfield, Martin, Grundy, Gawn, Cunnington, Mitchell, T. Kelly. There's eight off the top of my head.
Cunnington?

Seriously? :$

Martin's not even having that great of a year by his standards, you'll be hard-pressed to find people agreeing with having ruckman over him and Mitchell isn't even playing.

But the admission of Cunnington is a great laugh, thanks for that.

Cunington is a great inside mid... but that's where it stops ... his lazy rarely chases doesn't provide any targets up the line and doesn't two way run just waits for stoppages his just a older Clayton Oliver difference between him and cripps is cripps is also in the top 10 for tackles and top 30 for contested marks lol Cunington is great but his not better than cripps. Neither is Martin or Kelly. I wouldn't tag Kelly over Dangerfield or selwood either lol Mitchell isn't even playing this year fyfe is cripps is having a better year than danger .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He comes across as a pretty down to earth, good natured bloke. Stuttered badly during interviews when he first came to the club, but obviously put a bit of work into it and has more confidence now.

What I like most are the stories you hear about the extra he does to improve his game. Hiring a sprint coach in the offseason for example. Or dissecting not only his own game each week, but those of the league’s best mids too.

Seems to be about as driven as anyone else in the league. Used to be a shocking shot at goal. Now he's cruising through traffic and slotting them from 45 out. Definitely seems to focus on his flaws and make them major components of his game.

Imagine seriously believing that Cunnington is even on Cripps' level as a player, let alone above him.

I reckon cunnington is the second best inside/contested mid in the comp (overtaken JPK?)

Seriously underrated.

I have Cripps out in front, but it's closer than people think.

Imagine seriously believing that Cunnington is even on Cripps' level as a player, let alone above him.

#1 contested possessions and clearances in the AFL

Destroyed Cripps in an earlier game this season

But okay, have a virtual cookie for your smartarse comment

No one. That doesn’t mean he is the first pick. Wouldn’t even be in my top 10 if I was picking a new team. He is good but obviously has issues with leadership. If he was a good leader Carlton wouldn’t be a basket case for the past 3 odd years

That’s an interseting post. Who are the 10 or so that you would pick prior to Cripps if building a new team?

Massive amount of over rating of cripps on here. Gets ignored by taggers as most teams cut him up big time going the other way and don't bother as Carlton are a basket case.

Extremely damaging when he's on

Agree Patrick has that Dusty like swagger when causing havoc one can see the intent in his yes, a huge and powerful midfielder.
His coup de grace is the manner in which he takes complete control of a game, almost as if the opposition doesn’t nonexistent.
I’ve seen and read about very few AFL footballers with that ability.

Couldn't agree more. Cunnington is also the best handballer I have ever seen.

Cripps is a level below Cunnington.

Disagree re Cunnington he's skilled , slighter framed and thus more agile or mobile , a very good midfielder no doubt, but long term not in Cripps category media comments and supporter basis notwithstanding.
Patrick Cripps at 24 years of age in a struggling team wallowing down the bottom is a demolisher of opposition and game dominator category, elite.
If we have some luck with playing personal and Teaugy gets it going in the 2nd half of the season, I reckon Cripps and Walsh will line up for the big prizes at of seasons end.

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more. Cunnington is also the best handballer I have ever seen.

Cripps is a level below Cunnington.

I never said that he was a level below.

Disagree re Cunnington he's skilled , slighter framed and thus more agile or mobile , a very good midfielder no doubt, but long term not in Cripps category media comments and supporter basis notwithstanding.
Patrick Cripps at 24 years of age in a struggling team wallowing down the bottom is a demolisher of opposition and game dominator category, elite.
If we have some luck with playing personal and Teaugy gets it going in the 2nd half of the season, I reckon Cripps and Walsh will line up for the big prizes at of seasons end.

Cunners is slighter framed and agile? Lol

You've never seen him play.

#1 contested possessions and clearances in the AFL

Destroyed Cripps in an earlier game this season

But okay, have a virtual cookie for your smartarse comment
I'd agree with you if Cunington actually ran both ways Cunington does what cripps use to do... get the ball and a quick handball out cripps actually gets out and finds a much better target now tackles a lot more than Cunington and actually takes marks up the ground doesn't just wait for stoppages

Remove this Banner Ad

Back