Recommitted Patrick Cripps [Re-Signed to 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ll bite, Perth/WA is an incredible place for a young family (ie late 20s / early 30s), don’t kid yourself otherwise. Source - Me as 31 yo with a young family

I would have thought there are many reasons for re-signing with Carlton, I seriously doubt ‘Perth is sh*t’ is one of them

I think that’s the point.

Cripps is the captain of one of the biggest clubs in Victoria and wants to live the good life while he can. Not sure at 26 he’s thinking about kids.

Of course Perth being limited is going to factor into his thinking IMO. Cripps has an obvious point of comparison, and isn’t interested in the little WA can offer him.

Last edited:
Good news is that WC (and Freo) apparently have a massive amount of cap space free to spend, if Jon Ralph's reports are true.
Everyone telling us that Freo are somehow maxed with our mediocre squad we now have $1m a year to throw at Cripps.

Everyone telling us that West Coast players took a play cut under the proviso that there would be no chasing big names they have a spare $1m a year to throw at Cripps.

Seems legit.
It is such a strength of the AFL that whenever a player signs on for his current club he does that for well under market value ;)
Should add it to the BF DT&FA cheat sheet.

1.) Trade 3+ potatoes for a first rounder or the other team's best player (sometimes appears as trading a bloke worth around pick 60 for pick 22).
2.) Every club, every year has a war chest because they have been front-loading, players X and Y are retiring and player Z is getting a smaller contract/delisted.
3.) Every gun that re-signs at his current club took unders.

Everyone telling us that Freo are somehow maxed with our mediocre squad we now have $1m a year to throw at Cripps.

Everyone telling us that West Coast players took a play cut under the proviso that there would be no chasing big names they have a spare $1m a year to throw at Cripps.

Seems legit.

Should add it to the BF DT&FA cheat sheet.

1.) Trade 3+ potatoes for a first rounder or the other team's best player (sometimes appears as trading a bloke worth around pick 60 for pick 22).
2.) Every club, every year has a war chest because they have been front-loading, players X and Y are retiring and player Z is getting a smaller contract/delisted.
3.) Every gun that re-signs at his current club took unders.

4) Every good player who leaves our club is a mercenary

Crippa doesn’t want anything to do with Perth and has given the West Coast Eagles the ‘thanks, but no thanks’ treatment.

Some ppl just have to add drama to situations and events that just don't require it.

I'm sure your captain is more emotionally stable than you give him credit for.
He would have been honoured to be chased by other clubs but in the end chose to show loyalty to his current club.

While our results on field are not there yet I will give credit to the salary cap guys who have cleverly front loaded certain contracts for us for a couple of years now in anticipation of Cripps / Harry and Walshy all needing to be paid which will all get done IMO.
Let's be honest with the s**t performances that Carlton have thrown up for the past 5+ years if your salary cap was maxed that would be some of the worst list management ever

Let's be honest with the sh*t performances that Carlton have thrown up for the past 5+ years if your salary cap was maxed that would be some of the worst list management ever
We haven't been out of the bottom 8 for 5 years and we somehow maxed ours out. TBF, a good portion of that was on Lobb and Hogan which didn't quite hit the mark...

Not from what we’re hearing.

Crippa doesn’t want anything to do with Perth and has given the West Coast Eagles the ‘thanks, but no thanks’ treatment.
I think Vozzo trying to keep a straight face when asked about Cripps tells you all you need to know about how hard WCE tried to get him.

Trying to do much with the ball without recognizing his own deficiencies (horrendous kicking skills, amongst the worst in the AFL).

Would be a much better player if he were to just focus on his strengths which is winning contested ball, handballing it and applying tackles at contests.

Has become a more selfish player and doesn't run both ways like he used to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They are paying 110% of the cap this season. Apparently the footy media reported.
After paying the minimum of 90 or 95% for the last 5 seasons or there abouts so that is no issue. Not sure how it all works regarding that saving being able to be used when needed.

Salary cap has all changed now but I have great confidence in our guys that we won’t lose anyone cause cannot pay more like a Harry or Walshy. We still have deadwood like Murphy and Betts etc who will be coming off our books soon and I doubt either plays on next season.

Let's be honest with the sh*t performances that Carlton have thrown up for the past 5+ years if your salary cap was maxed that would be some of the worst list management ever

Fair call. 👍

After paying the minimum of 90 or 95% for the last 5 seasons or there abouts so that is no issue. Not sure how it all works regarding that saving being able to be used when needed.

Salary cap has all changed now but I have great confidence in our guys that we won’t lose anyone cause cannot pay more like a Harry or Walshy. We still have deadwood like Murphy and Betts etc who will be coming off our books soon and I doubt either plays on next season.
I believe the rule is you can pay 95% of your cap and then 105% of the cap in a later year.

I believe the rule is you can pay 95% of your cap and then 105% of the cap in a later year.
Yep – you can bank it for up to three years and then overspend up to 105%, but it doesn't carry over any further than that.

Cost of living in Perth/WA (so I have been informed) would be my biggest issue if I was player considering an offer to return to WA.

I have never been to your city or state, but the mates who have been there in the past said it is great.

I really doubt cost of living is an issue for someone making, say, 200k plus. Probably even 100k.

I think a bloke earning 800k might still be living comfortably

Cost of living in Perth/WA (so I have been informed) would be my biggest issue if I was player considering an offer to return to WA.

I have never been to your city or state, but the mates who have been there in the past said it is great.
Somehow I don't think cost of living is a problem for Patrick Cripps.

Edit-beaten to it. Thanks ManOfClay

All this resigning talk feels like Carlton propaganda to me.
Get the fans excited about cripps sticking around and forget about the teams lack of success on field even when they shell out huge money to sign free agents.
Happy to be proven wrong when he does actually sign but until then I'm sceptical.

Get the fans excited about cripps sticking around and forget about the teams lack of success on field even when they shell out huge money to sign free agents.
Happy to be proven wrong when he does actually sign but until then I'm sceptical.
Ah yes all led by Carlton’s minister of propaganda Jon ‘Goebells’ Ralph

I remember thinking this about West Coast once.

I blinked and they were back in a granny.
With there being only 2 sides over there getting the majority of wa talent it for sure will be short term but they will have 11 players over 30 by June next year. Geelong has 12 this year June and we are calling them dads army, this is probably their (Geelong) last shot at a flag this year for a while.

Cripps at 26 if that is 5 years away with the style he plays will probably be the end of him.

You may be right as still nothing official
A distraction tactic

Remove this Banner Ad

Back