Recommitted Patrick Cripps [Re-Signed to 2027]

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
nah i expect blues to finish above crows, north , hawks, swans, bombers and suns/freo
Maybe. Equally, they could easily be bottom 6. Even then, I doubt the difference between finishing 12th and 13th is going to be decisive. He'll go or stay regardless of that minutiae.

Frankly, I'm not sure that WC could afford Cripps or that they should.

Last edited:

Pablito

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Maybe. Equally, they could easily be bottom 6. Even then, I doubt the difference between finishing 12th and 13th is going to be decisive. He'll go or stay regardless of that minutiae.

Frankly, I'm not sure that WC could afford Cripps or that they should.
I reckon Fremantle could afford him, they'd have to give up at least one of Cerra or Serong though plus picks. I doubt we don't match any bids that may come his way.

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Can’t see him going anywhere unless the blues somehow finish bottom 6
He will stay would only leave to go back to wa freo are no better then Carlton on field and west coast don’t have the cap space and are about to drop of when Kennedy and co retire. Even if he did want to Leave Would cost a absolute fortune in a trade as Carlton would match any offer made !

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I reckon Fremantle could afford him, they'd have to give up at least one of Cerra or Serong though plus picks. I doubt we don't match any bids that may come his way.

Yep, club would be happy with that. Not ideal, but the best result if Cripps wants to head home.

West Coast wouldn’t appeal too much IMO. Feel they’ve had their day in the sun and are going to spend a bit of time around the middle of the ladder and might decline from there.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Yep, club would be happy with that. Not ideal, but the best result if Cripps wants to head home.

West Coast wouldn’t appeal too much IMO. Feel they’ve had their day in the sun and are going to spend a bit of time around the middle of the ladder and might decline from there.
WC might not appeal to Carlton but that's neither here nor there.

The reality is that if a player wants to go to WA, there are two clubs.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
If he wants to go back to WA, of course WC would appeal. Don't be ridiculous.

That doesn't mean there wouldn't be logistical hurdles. And frankly I expect Cripps to stay put.

If he’s going to a club for a less money he’d want to go to a surefire contender.

West Coast already won their opportunistic premiership, but won’t compete again with this list IMO.

Freo offer him a chance to line his pockets and provide him with a better chance at a flag with the squad they are putting together.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
If he’s going to a club for a less money he’d want to go to a surefire contender.
Alternatively, it's a choice between WC and Freo because he wants to play in WA. And ultimately there are no guarantees about who's a contender.

Without getting into a guessing game about who will finish where, WC have enough talent to be playing finals for the next few years. And then who knows?

West Coast already won their opportunistic premiership, but won’t compete again with this list IMO.

Freo offer him a chance to line his pockets and provide him with a better chance at a flag with the squad they are putting together.
Yeah this guessing game doesn't interest me. I'm also not sure what was "opportunistic" about the flag in 2018. It wasn't Adelaide in 1997-98. WC won 10 in a row, finished top 2 and got over the line without some very fine players. Why diminish it?

That aside, what do you reckon Carlton would/should pay to keep him? 6 million over 6 years?

My concern is not whether WC appeal to him. It's whether they should be offering a deal of that length and value to any 27-year-old.

Feb 6, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
If he wants to go back to WA, of course WC would appeal. Don't be ridiculous.

That doesn't mean there wouldn't be logistical hurdles. And frankly I expect Cripps to stay put.

Hes not gonna be leaving solely for money and he wont be staying solely for money.

He wants success and if he believes thats with us he'll stay. If thats a club west of here, that club isnt West Coast.

May 2, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Hes not gonna be leaving solely for money and he wont be staying solely for money.

He wants success and if he believes thats with us he'll stay. If thats a club west of here, that club isnt West Coast.
Haven't seen much of Freo in the last 26 years I guess..

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Alternatively, it's a choice between WC and Freo because he wants to play in WA. And ultimately there are no guarantees about who's a contender.

Without getting into a guessing game about who will finish where, WC have enough talent to be playing finals for the next few years. And then who knows?

Yeah this guessing game doesn't interest me.

That aside, what do you reckon Carlton would/should pay to keep him? 6 million over 6 years?

My concern is not whether WC appeal to him. It's whether they should be offering a deal of that length and value to any 27-year-old.

That’s kind of the point though. IF he decides to go to WA he has a choice between two teams, to which we has to sum up the most likely to succeed during his tenure.

I’d think based on the list demographics Freo would be the best fit if he’s projecting over a 5-year timeframe.

West Coast would need to finish top 4 and/or have a good finals run to entice him. More recently they’ve presented as a good mid-table team, rather than a genuine premiership threat.

Personally I think the club will offer Cripps 1 mil/pa, but might go as high as 1.2 given he is our marquee player and we’d offer similar dollars for a player of his quality on the open market.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast

I agree. It won't be about money. He'll be very well paid anywhere. If he leaves, it will be because he wants to be in WA. And that narrows it down to two.

But nah you're right. Can't argue with Fremantle's proud record.

Back