Recommitted Patrick Cripps [Re-Signed to 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think Cripps is what we need either, hence a player and a first rounder, but he would take a lot of the inside workload off Yeo and Shuey. We need speed in the midfield.
If he's not what we need, why would we target him? How much are we going to pay this player we don't need? How are we getting this extra first-rounder to trade?

Your suggested trade raises more questions than it answers.

If he's not what we need, why would we target him? How much are we going to pay this player we don't need? How are we getting this extra first-rounder to trade?

Your suggested trade raises more questions than it answers.
The club will put an offer in if he does want to come home because he's an elite contested possession winner. I personally would target a young talented West Australian midfielder wanting to come home (Clark or Rivers). We'd be paying overs to get one of those young blokes as they're contracted and it's up to the club to let them leave. So the fallback position would be to try and pay unders for Cripps. Brander and our future 2022 first round pick. Carlton would howl and want extra picks but that's all I'd pay. No idea what extra first round pick you're talking about.

Last edited:
The club will put an offer in if he does want to come home because he's an elite contested possession winner. I personally would target a young talented West Australian midfielder wanting to come home (Clark or Rivers). We'd be paying overs to get one of those young blokes as they're contracted and it's up to the club to let them leave. So the fallback position would be to try and pay unders for Cripps. Brander and our future 2022 first round pick. Carlton would howl and want extra picks but that's all I'd pay.
As well as a contract worth $4 million over 5 years, minimum. Not sure why you think that's worth doing if you think Cripps is not the player we need/want.

No idea what extra first round pick you're talking about.
There are rules requiring us to use a certain amount of first-round selections over a four-year period.

We used no first-rounders in 2018, 2019 or 2020. So we'd use a first-rounder in 2021 and trade out our first-rounder for 2022? That would amount to a single first-round selection in the space of five years, which theoretically breaches the AFL guidelines.

So in order to do the deal you've suggested, we'd need to find an extra first-rounder from somewhere to meet the minimum requirement. So you'd be trading out Brander and whatever else is required to obtain that extra first-round pick for a player you don't reckon we need?

The way Carlton are going, the basic FA compensation might be more attractive than that but presumably they'd still want more.

$800k x 4 years is a bargain for Cripps

I would take him at Richmond every day of the week
Surely it was be $800k and five years at least.

And what would you give up in a trade on top of that? Three first-rounders given Richmond's are likely to be late teens in 2021 named 2022? You've got Geelong's this year as well and that will probably be 12-14 at this rate.

One of the best KPFs?

He’s not even in the top 2 at your club. There are probably 20 KPF ahead of Allen
No shame sitting behind 2 bona fide champions of the game who are both All Australians.

He'd be in every team's starting 18 bar none and be your best forward.

I'd like to see your list of the 20 players ahead of him.

No shame sitting behind 2 bona fide champions of the game who are both All Australians.

He'd be in every team's starting 18 bar none and be your best forward.

I'd like to see your list of the 20 players ahead of him.
Walker
Hipwood
Daniher
Mckay
Taberner
Hawkins
Cameron
B King
Brown
Dixon
Lynch
Riewoldt
M King
Franklin
Kennedy
Darling
Naughton
Bruce

So 18 who I think are better right now than Allen.

And no McKay is comfortably better than Allen who is lucky to be the third tall in a gun forward line.

Walker
Hipwood
Daniher
Mckay
Taberner
Hawkins
Cameron
B King
Brown
Dixon
Lynch
Riewoldt
M King
Franklin
Kennedy
Darling
Naughton
Bruce

So 18 who I think are better right now than Allen.

And no McKay is comfortably better than Allen who is lucky to be the third tall in a gun forward line.

Not sure if you're aware but Freo people aren't really a fan of anything West Coast but there's maybe 7 forwards on that list that are worth more than Oscar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if you're aware but Freo people aren't really a fan of anything West Coast but there's maybe 7 forwards on that list that are worth more than Oscar.
He didn’t say who is worth more, because age is obviously a factor.

But I stand by everyone on that list is a bigger individual threat right now than Allen.

Find it amusing, all the negative talk here and in the media..
Cripps body is cooked, the modern game has passed him by,
worth nothing to Fremantle or West Coast in a trade and his no where near as good as 2019.

Yes, he is having a down year compared to other years.
Still rates in the top 15 Midfielders in the game, Injured.

Here are some season average stats
26.2 Disposals
6.2 Clearances (3.8 Centre)
13.4 Contested Possessions
4.6 Tackles
0.6 Goals (3 Goals)
71% Disposal Efficiency
300.6 Meters Gained

I'd suggest not bad for a guy who, is playing fairly injured the last 2 years and has to handle all the pressure Carlton are copping in the media..

If he's been playing injured for two years how does that not effect his value? He either can't get his body right or has been mismanaged and could have ongoing issues because of this regardless.

It's amusing that you think that it wouldn't effect his value.

Common knowledge he carried a shoulder all last year (had a shoulder reconstruction, post season) and has been carrying a back/ groin issue this year..
Doubt it would be mismanagement, could be that club Dr's think playing wouldn't make it any worse.

With all this negativity towards an injured Cripps, his still has had a better year statistic wise than all your midfielders Fyfe, Serong, Cerra, Brayshaw

common knowledge...he did his shoulder in the final game

also common knowledge, you dont play your players in a meaningless end of season game when they require post season reconstructive surgery in an already reduced off season timeframe

so which of these two is it? Either both he and your club were stupid imbeciles for not sending him in for surgery...OR...he was just bang average

I'd take him as an RFA...that's the max...no picks or anything back the other way
and it wouldn't be on anything more than 3 possibly 4 years at good money, not Fyfe money.
If he or Carlton don't like that, tough t***ies
His body is a concern, and I feel we'd be better off using our first on a KPF or an elite mid who could get us 15 years of service not 3-4

I'd take him as an RFA...that's the max...no picks or anything back the other way
and it wouldn't be on anything more than 3 possibly 4 years at good money, not Fyfe money.
If he or Carlton don't like that, tough t***ies
His body is a concern, and I feel we'd be better off using our first on a KPF or an elite mid who could get us 15 years of service not 3-4
It's the last line for me. We are clearly not contending and no guarantee to do so in the next couple of years. So what we don't want is to spend bulk capital on a bloke that will be past his best when we get going.

Draft, draft, draft.

Surely it was be $800k and five years at least.

And what would you give up in a trade on top of that? Three first-rounders given Richmond's are likely to be late teens in 2021 named 2022? You've got Geelong's this year as well and that will probably be 12-14 at this rate.
The 2 x 1st rounders that Richmond have look like being late picks #14+
The compo pick if carlton dont go well could be top 5/6 and be of better value

But we might be able to d a side deal just for some sugar ontop

Wouldn't imagine he would leave to another Melbourne club..
It would be to go home, but if any Melbourne club could sway him, it's probably Richmond
I personally dont think Cripps would leave for any club 'Unless' He feels he can no longer lead the club to success and would be best for both he and the club to move.

He would then be looking for either go back to perth or to club where he may win a flag
But i do remember Cripps and Riewoldt were extremely close in the AFLX series and there have been some recent chatter with Cotchin

Remove this Banner Ad

Back