Recommitted Patrick Cripps [Re-Signed to 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton probably should trade him they have Sam Walsh now

Would be an idiotic move.

After all the “just wait until Cripps has more good midfielders around him” talk why would they sell him off just when that has materialised? So they can then say “just wait until Walsh has more support around him”?

Dumb.

Carlton would be selling low now anyway. Might as well keep him, and Cripps wouldn’t be able to demand too much of them

Would be an idiotic move.

After all the “just wait until Cripps has more good midfielders around him” talk why would they sell him off just when that has materialised? So they can then say “just wait until Walsh has more support around him”?

Dumb.

Carlton would be selling low now anyway. Might as well keep him, and Cripps wouldn’t be able to demand too much of them

You say these things like Carlton haven’t been known to do all of the above in the last 2 decades...

His body is smashed. No club would pay for him at the moment.

I think we'll keep him on a reasonable salary and fingers crossed he can get his body right, even if that means sitting out the back end of the season if we aren't playing finals and getting the rest/surgery he needs.

Would Carlton be better off putting him in cotton wool for the rest of the year?

I think so

Looks like he’s checked out:

Could be a good pick up for a contender for nothing trade wise.

Wouldn’t be giving him more than $500k and a three year contract though.

I said a couple of years ago that he’s declined substantially, teams have worked out how to minimize his influence at the stoppages and they exploit his lack of mobility on the spread.

He’s terrible overhead for a big bloke too, so you can’t hide him up forward or down back. One trick pony... it was a seriously great trick for a while there though.

It’s a real pity, he was an absolute star and in a different team might have had a lot of team success

I said a couple of years ago that he’s declined substantially, teams have worked out how to minimize his influence at the stoppages and they exploit his lack of mobility on the spread.

He’s terrible overhead for a big bloke too, so you can’t hide him up forward or down back. One trick pony... it was a seriously great trick for a while there though.

It’s a real pity, he was an absolute star and in a different team might have had a lot of team success
Would take him at West Coast if no trade required. Carlton would need to accept band one but.

This is what happens when you don't sign a contract before start of final season of contract. It's a risk and the player is putting all his eggs in his basket of playing well that year to maximise his new contract. If he plays poorly though his next contract is minimised. That's the risk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is what happens when you don't sign a contract before start of final season of contract. It's a risk and the player is putting all his eggs in his basket of playing well that year to maximise his new contract. If he plays poorly though his next contract is minimised. That's the risk
Don’t tell me his agent is Rama? He Worked wonders for Ben brown!

The bloke is still a fantastic player. For one reason or another he is down on form but I’m sure he will fight through it

A couple of years ago he was the best player in the competition. Was even playing well right up until rounds 7/8 last season.

The drop off has been insane. I’m almost certain he gets it back. Whether that’s through a long rest on the sidelines or a shift in the way he plays the game I’m not sure. Needs to do something though.

A couple of years ago he was the best player in the competition. Was even playing well right up until rounds 7/8 last season.

The drop off has been insane. I’m almost certain he gets it back. Whether that’s through a long rest on the sidelines or a shift in the way he plays the game I’m not sure. Needs to do something though.
His negatives in regards to the draft profile was speed and athleticism.

Cripps has always reminded me as a bit of an oversized Priddis who became a bit of a liability in his later years due to those weaknesses

Based on?

To be fair 2 years ago if I'd told you this was what he had become you'd have been almost certain I was a trolling flog.

I reckon he's injured and not minorly. Get him fit Carlton.

It's not like he is a great player only putting out good player performances, he is a potato half the time. Might as well have played Dow this week. I think he is still a great player, but only if near 100% and I reckon he'd be lucky to be 70% atm.

I think there's three other things at play:

1. He's been found out - teams thought he was untaggable but several players notably Matty Deboer and Dylan Clarke proved that wrong. Since then teams sit on him at the stoppages and look to exploit him on the spread
2. His greatest strength is stoppage play, his greatest weakness is speed. The number of stoppages has dropped off and the speed of the game has increased, both considerably
3. He isn't nearly damaging enough in other areas of the ground. A 6'4" bloke with his strength should be taking more than 3 marks a game and should be able to rest in the goal square. He's a liability when he's not being played in the guts, and at the moment he's a liability when he's in the guts.
4. He doesn't appear to be 100% fit

I think 1/2/3 are much bigger contributors than 4 though

I think there's three other things at play:

1. He's been found out - teams thought he was untaggable but several players notably Matty Deboer and Dylan Clarke proved that wrong. Since then teams sit on him at the stoppages and look to exploit him on the spread
2. His greatest strength is stoppage play, his greatest weakness is speed. The number of stoppages has dropped off and the speed of the game has increased, both considerably
3. He isn't nearly damaging enough in other areas of the ground. A 6'4" bloke with his strength should be taking more than 3 marks a game and should be able to rest in the goal square. He's a liability when he's not being played in the guts, and at the moment he's a liability when he's in the guts.
4. He doesn't appear to be 100% fit

I think 1/2/3 are much bigger contributors than 4 though
I disagree.

1 to 3 are legitimate, but he is easily good enough to impact at 95% fitness. Probably not best in the game, but still a top 20 mid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back