Remove this Banner Ad

Dadadadaaaaaa

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
We all remember 2011 when this young 18 year old kid called Pat Cummins burst onto the test scene against the might of South Africa in South Africa. Bowling right arm fast delivery's the kid 6-79 literally bowling Australia to a win all on his own. He was hailed the future Mitch Johnson or Dennis Lillee at the time but almost instantly broke down with a serious back injury that has spiraled on for just over 5 years. He was quickly forgotten about as Australia produced fast bowlers including Starc, Hazlewood and Bird to go with Pattinson, Johnson, Harris and Siddle throughout the last 5 years. Apart from the 2014 ICC world cup and the occasional ODI's, Cummins has been quickly forgotten about in the cricketing world, even though he has more ability than all the bowlers listed, when fully fit.

In the recent ODI series against New Zealand he took 8 wickets in 3 games and is getting better and better in the big bash, bowling very quickly and taking wickets. Selectors say he is in the running for a return to test cricket as his performances get better and better. After his roller coaster journey which feels like an eternity since he won us that test overseas, it is hard to believe he is only 22 and at the peak of his powers. Another 8 years of test cricket would be great.

But the big question, does this man have the ability to bowl teams out? Can he be the spear head of our attack? Do we save him for the Ashes? Am I over exaggerating?

We all remember 2011 when this young 18 year old kid called Pat Cummins burst onto the test scene against the might of South Africa in South Africa. Bowling right arm fast delivery's the kid 6-79 literally bowling Australia to a win all on his own. He was hailed the future Mitch Johnson or Dennis Lillee at the time but almost instantly broke down with a serious back injury that has spiraled on for just over 5 years. He was quickly forgotten about as Australia produced fast bowlers including Starc, Hazlewood and Bird to go with Pattinson, Johnson, Harris and Siddle throughout the last 5 years. Apart from the 2014 ICC world cup and the occasional ODI's, Cummins has been quickly forgotten about in the cricketing world, even though he has more ability than all the bowlers listed, when fully fit.

In the recent ODI series against New Zealand he took 8 wickets in 3 games and is getting better and better in the big bash, bowling very quickly and taking wickets. Selectors say he is in the running for a return to test cricket as his performances get better and better. After his roller coaster journey which feels like an eternity since he won us that test overseas, it is hard to believe he is only 22 and at the peak of his powers. Another 8 years of test cricket would be great.

But the big question, does this man have the ability to bowl teams out? Can he be the spear head of our attack? Do we save him for the Ashes? Am I over exaggerating?

His last FC game was still 18 months ago, I'd like to see him get through 20 overs in the day for NSW before even considering him for Australian selection. The simple matter is he's running out of time.

Australia only play's like 8 test matches this year, including the current Sydney test.

We have 4 matches against India in Feb/March that he obviously won't be apart of, then we don't have a test series until the Ashes in November.

We have the Champions Trophy in England in June, if he wanted to push for the Ashes, a county stint is probably his only option (I doubt CA would let him do it though given his injury history), unless he blitzes the Champions Trophy.

CA hasn't announced the Australia A fixtures for 2017 yet.

I want nothing more than a Starc, Hazlewood, Cummins/Pattinson attack though.

His last FC game was still 18 months ago, I'd like to see him get through 20 overs in the day for NSW before even considering him for Australian selection. The simple matter is he's running out of time.

Australia only play's like 8 test matches this year, including the current Sydney test.

We have 4 matches against India in Feb/March that he obviously won't be apart of, then we don't have a test series until the Ashes in November.

We have the Champions Trophy in England in June, if he wanted to push for the Ashes, a county stint is probably his only option (I doubt CA would let him do it though given his injury history), unless he blitzes the Champions Trophy.

There's sheild games in Feb/March and Oct/Nov. Good results (and no injuries) from them will force himself into the side.

There's sheild games in Feb/March and Oct/Nov. Good results (and no injuries) from them will force himself into the side.

There's like 4-5 rounds of shield games in the period you mention.

Australia also has a ODI series against Pakistan and NZ that he will be picked for straight after the Sydney test.

I highly doubt he will play shield cricket this season.

Yep
Dont want to go on tours where 3 of your 4 fast bowlers are pre injured...

Many years ago i dreamed of a demon fast bowling attack of Pattinson cummins and there was talk of a young hazelwood and mcdermott coming through.

Now we have stark and hazelwood and bird.

Its pretty good as is

Last edited:

I want nothing more than a Starc, Hazlewood, Cummins/Pattinson attack though.

Australia has 4 Tests against Bangladesh between July and September 2017 (2 at home and 2 away). Cummins would slot in nicely, especially if Starc is rested.

We have 4 Tests against Bangladesh between July and September 2017 (2 at home and 2 away). Cummins would slot in nicely, especially if Starc is rested.
If those Tests end up going ahead I'll be surprised.

I don't think Cummins should be anywhere near calculations at present.

There's like 4-5 rounds of shield games in the period you mention.

Australia also has a ODI series against Pakistan and NZ that he will be picked for straight after the Sydney test.

I highly doubt he will play shield cricket this season.
if he's getting through the ODI's and BBL games fine, why wouldn't he play FC cricket in March? Astonishing if true.

What about what the West Indians use to do, to hell with balance, just play your best bowlers. How about Hazlewood, Starc, Pattison, Cummins and Stanlake all in one side. Bowling speaks for itself, but arguably there would be enough batting to cover the missing sixth batsman. Starc and Pattinson have test batting averages approaching 30, Hazlewood is a very good tailender in the mid-teens and Cummins has been arguably the outstanding allrounder of the current Big Bash series. Will probably never happen, but with all available and firing Lyon should be history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He wasn't forgotten about. He broke down 5 times and he was injured going into that test. They knew it and they risked him and he hasn't played since

They probably will.

England did just tour Bangladesh and the two in Australia have no reason to get cancelled
Other than Australia putting the series off because it's not lucrative...

If those Tests end up going ahead I'll be surprised.

I don't think Cummins should be anywhere near calculations at present.

They definitely aren't confirmed on the CA schedule.

if he's getting through the ODI's and BBL games fine, why wouldn't he play FC cricket in March? Astonishing if true.

Ahh maybe because, like the Australian test side, you can't just walk into sides, even Sheffield Shield sides.

It will be finals time and they will most likely have the likes of Sandhu etc who have proved capable of bowling 30 overs in a day.

Why would NSW go into Shield finals with a guy CA may instruct to only bowl 10 overs?

Are there any Shield matches scheduled before we head to India? If he gets through 1 or 2 I reckon he will be on the plane. Hell there was even talk of him coming into the test team recently based on ODI and T20 form. Not saying that would be a good idea at all, but the selectors love him.

Ahh maybe because, like the Australian test side, you can't just walk into sides, even Sheffield Shield sides.

It will be finals time and they will most likely have the likes of Sandhu etc who have proved capable of bowling 30 overs in a day.

Why would NSW go into Shield finals with a guy CA may instruct to only bowl 10 overs?

Cricket Australia is now in the habit of pulling bowlers out mid shield match and replacing them with a sub who is allowed to bat and bowl.

A bit of a joke but it happens now.

You don't think he's good enough to make the NSW FC side, at the expense of Conway or Stobo? NSW are unlikely to be playing Finals with the team that will have when SS comes back.

A fit Cummins walks into any FC side in the country.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back