Toast Patrick Dangerfield, 2023 Captain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has shades of Cameron Ling about it. A popular legend of the club closer to the end of his career than the start. Well deserved in my opinion and hopefully he can go out in the same fashion as our last 3 legendary captains, holding the cup aloft.

Article from the club - includes details about each player, the selection process and confirmation the leadership group will match last years structure with 2 positions - C & VC...

Patrick Dangerfield appointed Captain of the Cats, Tom Stewart named Vice​

Patrick Dangerfield and Tom Stewart will lead the Geelong Football Club in 2023 as captain and vice captain respectively.

I think this further puts to bed the idea that Dangerfield during his time at Geelong has been a selfish player, a glory hog and someone lacking the "team man" attributes to be a highly respected and influential leader.

This process was extensive and feedback was gathered in detail from a variety of sources. There were a few excellent candidates and a number have been at the club longer. Has anyone else in a side full of leaders lifted the boys more than Dangerfield? The answer is no. Joel was the standout in that regard and Dangerfield the natural successor.

Yeah I think this is the right choice. Especially after the performance he put in on Grand Final day. Not going to knock Smith for his Norm Smith - thoroughly deserved it, but in my eyes, Paddy earned it just as much and would've been just as worthy a winner. He was the one who pulled his socks up and just got it done in the middle all day.

When they posted the gallery on Friday from match sim they were giving us a big hint. 20% of the photos has Danger in him. Most of them giving encouragement to team mates. We needed to be better at reading the subliminal messaging from cats media!! 😜

I knew as soon as Danger started speaking about wanting the captaincy to the media that he had the job. As someone who worked in the media industry, he's not speaking publicly like that unless he knows the job is his.

The energy was super flat if this was the playing group finding out, so I'd say they definitely knew before this and the Cats team put this together for us supporters, which is cute.

He's a good choice imo. Whoever took the role after Selwood was going to be in for a huge amount of scrutiny, but Danger has the personality to handle it.

Funny how Blitz has fallen out of leadership favour. He's such a unique player for us in a role that takes a huge amount of energy so I'm happy we are not overloading him. I do wonder if his party during COVID put an asterisk next to his name. He used to seem like one of Scotty's favourites.

I'd love to see Atkins as skipper after Danger retires.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many years do we think Danger has left in him? At least two for me.
I think from memory he's contracted until the end of 2024. So the next two years to see out his contract, then maybe assess where his body is at and then look at one year deals from there if he's still feeling physically good?

Personally, I think he might pull the pin after 2024. I can't see his body withstanding the rigors for another 3-4 years. But who knows.

He’s signed on for this year & next, and I do think he’ll probably retire after that because he has so many options to go into post footy. So I think giving him the captaincy is the right decision, have it for two years then pass it onto the next guy for the long term. Exactly like Lingy.

Hes contracted til the end of 2024. He will be 34 by then so he might likely retire (2 years and then handover like ling did) or he might go on into 2025 if his body is holding up.
Stewart will be 31 at the end of 2024 so it will be an interesting discussion as to whether danger passes it to him or whether we bypass him and give the captaincy to a younger longer term option.

Really happy with the selection and even moreso that they have gone the one Captain and one Vice Captain route.

Yes acknowledge there is a wide leadership group but keep it simple.
Never understood how a shared message can be achieved with multiple captain's. You just get consensus by committee, you are not led.

Really happy with the selection and even moreso that they have gone the one Captain and one Vice Captain route.

Yes acknowledge there is a wide leadership group but keep it simple.
Never understood how a shared message can be achieved with multiple captain's. You just get consensus by committee, you are not led.
Absolutely agree. I’m glad we aren’t a club that does co-captains, have one captain & other leaders underneath that. Those old enough (me literally just) will remember the doomed co-captains we had in the mid nineties, simply doesn’t work..

At most two I think. We’ve already been seeing signs for the last few years and the end can come quick.

With his power he’ll never not be a good player but the body is gonna hit a limit IMO and he’ll struggle recovering playing the style he does.

A few years ago I would have been concerned that the captaincy burden would add to much extra pressure.
However Paddy is clearly in a much better space now with the outside assistance on mindfulness and a fantastic finals series behind him.
He just looks so better prepared to lead now, play his role( not be super man) and want to make his teammates better.

Great choice and fantastic support with Stewart as VC. 👍

Good for PFD…
Good for STEW

Good for the club and us…

Gives them time to get the next one stepping up too..

Go Catters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back