Toast Patrick Dangerfield, 2023 Captain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arguably BOG in the granny, just six months and four games ago. Write him off at your peril.

He's been declining for a few years now. It was very astute management to play him (and Selwood) in bursts last year, so they didn't have to do the game long running that's required. That and the collective output of our younger brigade was a major reason it worked so well.

Think Scott knows we can't go deep into September this year on the back of Dangerfield alone and even less so if he floggs him for 23 home and away games leading up to September Paddy wouldn't be his biggest concern.

I agree we can't flog him this year and expect him to be the same player in round 23 that he could have been in round 1

But I feel like we could be using him better and at more pivotal times in the guts than we have been so far

He's been declining for a few years now. It was very astute management to play him (and Selwood) in bursts last year, so they didn't have to do the game long running that's required. That and the collective output of our younger brigade was a major reason it worked so well.
Regardless of the reason, he was superb in the finals last year and it's now only six months later.

The whole team is down, including the younger brigade. He can't do it on his own, if he ever could, but I'm not prepared to write him off just yet.

Regardless of the reason, he was superb in the finals last year and it's now only six months later.

The whole team is down, including the younger brigade. He can't do it on his own, if he ever could, but I'm not prepared to write him off just yet.
I didnt see yesterdays game - by all accounts it was a bad loss to a lowly home side - but thats not the end of world- because its happened to other top sides before

1995 - we all know how good Carlton were Premiers and a 20-2 record - but the 2 losses - were to - 2 absolute craap sides in Footscray and StKilda

Geelong in the 1st game against Magpies - the Cats played Champagne football to h/t and led by 3 goals - ran out of gas in the 2nd half - tried to do a few cameo performances in the 2nd half to pinch the win

The Carlton game - they at long long last have got a decent team - who dont fall to bits and they have got a champion CHF - Geelong played a top last qtr and could have got the 4 pts

So Geel have put in one bad effort yesterday - Geel will definitely beat W/Coast in Rd 5 - because they have got horrendous injuries - plus they are no good at all . Im glad the upcoming game is on Easter Monday - gives them plenty of time to prepare - freshen up - and think about it - hopefully the Cats make this a bit of a statement game

I keep hearing people slamming his captaincy then carry on about how "Selwood wouldn't allow those kind of performances", completely ignoring the many embarrassing results we had under his leadership aswell (Hawks last year, plenty of finals, Enrights big game etc etc etc).
Fact is 1 player can't make that much of a change or impact, especially at his age, and I'd say he's been fine to good for us this season anyway.
His captaincy is one thing I'm not concerned about, half because I think he's been fine, and secondly this isn't the 1970s where 1 bloke has all the say and all the power, it's an absolute collective, and never more so than the oldest list of all time (or thereabouts). We don't lack on (or off) field leaders.

I keep hearing people slamming his captaincy then carry on about how "Selwood wouldn't allow those kind of performances", completely ignoring the many embarrassing results we had under his leadership aswell (Hawks last year, plenty of finals, Enrights big game etc etc etc).
Fact is 1 player can't make that much of a change or impact, especially at his age, and I'd say he's been fine to good for us this season anyway.
His captaincy is one thing I'm not concerned about, half because I think he's been fine, and secondly this isn't the 1970s where 1 bloke has all the say and all the power, it's an absolute collective, and never more so than the oldest list of all time (or thereabouts). We don't lack on (or off) field leaders.
Agreed.
Danger is not the issue. It's a team issue.
There is no other player on the list at present who could be putting up his hand for the captaincy job, whether by injury or form.

He spent 11 mins of the 4th qtr against GC on the bench. Assuming he was fit, that was pretty bad timing to have Captain on the bench and even if he's not in his prime, it might've been game costly too.

He spent 11 mins of the 4th qtr against GC on the bench. Assuming he was fit, that was pretty bad timing to have Captain on the bench and even if he's not in his prime, it might've been game costly too.
He stepped up in second half on Monday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The young lad seems to be growing into this captaincy thing...
Don't tell anyone (it's a secret) but so far he's averaging more disposals, contested possessions, contested marks, clearances, inside 50s, goals, goal assists and tackles than he did in 2022.

A lot of these metrics he ranks as elite or very competitively against midfielders in their prime in the competition.

Danger's current hot form has had one pleasant unintended consequence - it has silenced, at least for the time being, the talk amongst supporters of the club that pays the big salary of a certain tattooed footballer being GOAT.

Vdubs you get a lot of calls right but the other week proclaiming veteran Dangerfield to be cooked like Martin and Fyfe (both more than a year younger) was not one of them. Rolls Royce.
please don't misquote me..
cooked was not the word I used.
I did say the gap between his great games was increasing, but the whole point was how Pendlebury seems to be evergreen.
Can not even be sure Fyfe and Dusty are cooked, but they are not what they were, that's for sure.
Danger however still produces epic games where he is like a spring-loaded ballistic powerman. How he does that once is awesome, let alone recurrently.
Maybe Pendles has the longevity because he does not play with that sort of ballistic power.

Last edited:
please don't misquote me..
cooked was not the word I used.
I did say the gap between his great games was increasing, but the whole point was how Pendlebury seems to be evergreen
I see you have now added a lot more to the post above that thankfully puts Danger in a better light than previously.

I wholeheartedly apologise, paraphrasing on my behalf. Cooked meaning no longer performing to a high standard.

Here is the full quote, bolded: "interesting that Fyfe, Dusty and Danger seem like shadows of their previous greatness, but Pendles, older than all 3, just keeps on keeping on"

Patrick "Shadow" Dangerfield is currently the 5th best performing player in the competition according to the coaches (Petracca, Oliver, De Goey and Parish yet to play - but top 10 is a certainty).

Dusty no coaches votes and Fyfe's body won't let him play. But yes if Paddy could do this every single game he would be winning Brownlows, aged 33. Which would be absurd. Still a great performer overall.

Last edited:
I see you have now added a lot more to the post above that thankfully puts Danger in a better light than previously.

I wholeheartedly apologise, paraphrasing on my behalf. Cooked meaning no longer performing to a high standard.

Here is the full quote, bolded: "interesting that Fyfe, Dusty and Danger seem like shadows of their previous greatness, but Pendles, older than all 3, just keeps on keeping on"

Patrick "Shadow" Dangerfield is currently the 5th best performing player in the competition according to the coaches (Petracca, Oliver, De Goey and Parish yet to play - but top 10 is a certainty).

Dusty no coaches votes and Fyfe's body won't let him play.
When was that posted btw?
We are all guilty of reactivity on a weekly basis.
Danger's start this year, like our team, was not auspicious.
He is back to his brilliant best in recent weeks.
Yes, I'm incorrect about his power games being few and far between.

Dusty no coaches votes and Fyfe's body won't let him play. But yes if Paddy could do this every single game he would be winning Brownlows, aged 33. Which would be absurd. Still a great performer overall.

'SEEM like shadows' v 'ARE shadows'

I don't think Vdubs was over the top to be fair.

But no matter, he's hit his straps now and that's all that matters.

'SEEM like shadows' v 'ARE shadows'

I don't think Vdubs was over the top to be fair.

But no matter, he's hit his straps now and that's all that matters.
pls remind me where these posts are...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back