Premiership Player
Sep 4, 2007
around
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Sheffield Wednesday

Patrick Dangerfield leading the charge for footy fashion runways​

Geelong captain Patrick Dangerfield is leading a new push for the AFL to introduce a radical change to pre-match TV coverage.

AFL players are at the forefront of a new American-style push for high fashion before games, with Seven's Tom Browne reporting that Patrick Dangerfield is leading the charge.
“It’s popular with fans, popular as a feature on social media in the build-up to games, and popular on the broadcast,” Browne said.

According to Browne, the 18 AFL captains discussed the idea at the season launch.

“Some of the top players, including (Patrick) Dangerfield...are now specifically pushing for this concept - that is, the right to wear their own gear to the ground.”

The US-inspired approach is not new to the sport, with the short-lived AFLX pre-season competition allowing players to wear their own clothing and incorporating a pre-game catwalk.

Bbc Three Comedy GIF by BBC

Just sounds like a money making scheme. Players "own clothes" become festooned with clothing logos. Heavily branded headphones. All that shite.

Still, they can do what they like as long as they don't try to shove it down my throat!

It's a no from me. Sir Alex Ferguson insisted that his Manchester United team turn up to games wearing club suits. Dangerfield would have hated that. Turn up in club attire. It's not an inconvenience.

This

If I wanted to see a fashion show, I'd tune in to the Victorias Secret one :p

Going by the AFLX and brownlow stints the players have zero fadhion sense.

With the obvious caveat that this was reported by Tom Browne so the truth is likely to be opposite… Why is there this top to bottom obsession by linament sniffers and the boys club to introduce more and more seppo bullshit into AFL? I mean if you love American sport so much administer/report on that. Or start your own Australian NFL. Just fro from a sport that most people appreciate because it’s quintessentially Australian.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wowee, Alex Rance showed thought leadership on this topic years ago....

cb919d4226c3dd7a113e76dc321d0a08

who cares what anyone wears honestly

There will be a TV program promoting the players involved with both local & national advertised sold - the better the time slot, the better the advertising dollars.

The nonsense around footy will more interest to some than the game itself, e.g the celebrity commentators.
I turned off the pre game before tonights game, not my cup of tea, havent gone back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back