Patrick Dangerfield or Dustin Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

They are both similar in their positioning on the ground - Strong Mids, who go forward. But there is one difference... When Dusty goes forward, he just creates chaos because the defence is already tied up with Lynch, Reiwoldt, Castanga, Bolton, Lambert, etc etc... When Geelong go forward.. it's basically just T Hawkins. Rohan, Miers and these guys are rubbish. So when Danger goes forward, he is going to get the 2nd best defender and more than likely 2 on 1 situations.. like seen in the GF when he was surrounded by 3 or 4 Tigers.

I'd like to know how Dusty would go in a weaker forward set up. My view is that Tom Lynch has given them so much forward depth, that it's allowed Dusty to go to this level. I kind of feel bad for Danger, because Geelong has needed another big forward and a big ruckman for a few years now but have never filled that void. They get some more big guys down forward, and it takes the pressure off Danger of having to be the only man to save them.

View attachment 996297Celebrating his goal in the granny waiting for his teammates to run up to him and tell him how good HE is.

View attachment 996299
Celebrating 1 of his 4 running to his teammates to let them know how good THEY can be.

Strongly disagree on the former. I think for the first half he was the team player he seemed to change into for the last half of the year. It's lazy to think he hasn't grown, it didn't work out on Saturday but there was clearly a change in him this year compared to last.

You can guarantee if the faces and jumpers were reversed, the commentary would be "Look at Danger celebrating on his own, he doesn't care about the team"

How strange that we decide that one of the best 3 players over the last 5 years is no good because he is only in the best 3 players of the last 5 years.

Danger would have to be the worst 8x AA of all time. They were taking the piss when they gave him one this year
Dan Butler got robbed of a spot so Danger could be a "forward" on his 13 goals.

Danger can pinch hit forward but he should never spend most of the game there.

They are both similar in their positioning on the ground - Strong Mids, who go forward. But there is one difference... When Dusty goes forward, he just creates chaos because the defence is already tied up with Lynch, Reiwoldt, Castanga, Bolton, Lambert, etc etc... When Geelong go forward.. it's basically just T Hawkins. Rohan, Miers and these guys are rubbish. So when Danger goes forward, he is going to get the 2nd best defender and more than likely 2 on 1 situations.. like seen in the GF when he was surrounded by 3 or 4 Tigers.

I'd like to know how Dusty would go in a weaker forward set up. My view is that Tom Lynch has given them so much forward depth, that it's allowed Dusty to go to this level. I kind of feel bad for Danger, because Geelong has needed another big forward and a big ruckman for a few years now but have never filled that void. They get some more big guys down forward, and it takes the pressure off Danger of having to be the only man to save them.
It's a fine theory, though in 2017 Dusty WAS the 2nd target when he went forward as we only had Jack.

Dusty then kicked a career high 37 goals for the year.

It's a fine theory, though in 2017 Dusty WAS the 2nd target when he went forward as we only had Jack.

Dusty then kicked a career high 37 goals for the year.
That reminds me how incredible a year both Dusty and Danger had in 2017. Both with 700+ disposals and 37 & 45 goals respectively. First and second in the Brownlow on 36 and 33 votes. You'll never see dominance over the course of a year from two players like that again.

It's the most annoying thing with the fawning superstar syndrome the footy media have now. Awards are meaning less because star players have to do much less to get them. Said it before and it needs repeating - Dangerfield was not close to the All-Australian team this season. Nowhere near it. Geelong players nominated 3 players for the MVP and he (rightly) wasn't included. His numbers plummeted in midfield (sure the shorter quarters affected everyone), and this great forward that the media imagine exists kicked 17 goals. For the entire season. Had plenty of time there too. Menegola kicked 1 goal less playing 100% midfield from the same number of games.
Not just in the team but captain lol

At this point Dusty>>>>> Dangerfield

And the real question is Dusty v GAJ.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

No it's not. Martin is forging a reputation - rightly, I might add, on his output in 3 winning grand finals, as a forward-onballer. He has done incredibly well and appropriately is being lauded for it. It doesn't suddenly mean he's been unarguably the best player in the game basically from round 5 2007 through to the latter part of 2014, uninterrupted, finals, home and away, whatever.

Two reasons why Martin does this:

1. Hardwick wants him forward because he's arguably one of the best forwards in the game

2. He's the best forward in the team and knows how to capitalise on forward thrusts

He pays zero respect for his opponent because it's not his role. His role is basically attacking midfielder which isn't a position known for chasing and tackling. If he decided to chase tackling stats he'd be selfish as he wouldn't be playing his role.

I also think it's laughable that Dusty goes for the cheap possession when all of his goals in the grand final were really tough goals in contested situations. It's not like he's a chip scab waiting for a freebie. He deliberately takes difficult kicks because no-one else in the team can kick them.

It's Jack Graham that largely covers for him defensively.

Dangerfield every day of the week (hurts saying this being a Hawk's supporter lol).
Out of curiosity how do you come to this opinion when even most Geelong supporters agree its the other way around.

Some people need to get lives, have had multiple people today laughing at a post I did in October of 2015 saying Dangerfield at that moment was better.

Saying Dangerfield was better 5 years ago was hardly a ridiculous call. Martin is clearly ahead now. Amazingly, things change over five years 😮

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some people need to get lives, have had multiple people today laughing at a post I did in October of 2015 saying Dangerfield at that moment was better.

Saying Dangerfield was better 5 years ago was hardly a ridiculous call. Martin is clearly ahead now. Amazingly, things change over five years 😮
Except the Doggies... first week finals elimination then and now ;)

For me the difference seems to be Dusty will try to win the hard ball no matter what the circumstances; whereas Danger will too often try to win the free.

There is that gif of Danger taking a dive in the last quarter doing the rounds that is downright embarrassing, but that was one of several dives he took when the game was there to be won (or lost). It is a shame that obvious dive is the only s**t contest of his that 7 replayed; would love to see someone put all his 'dubious' attempts from the end of the GF into a montage...not to add to his shame, but to show the real difference in how they both approach the game (and why one is more likeable to and respected by neutrals than the other).

No it's not. Martin is forging a reputation - rightly, I might add, on his output in 3 winning grand finals, as a forward-onballer. He has done incredibly well and appropriately is being lauded for it. It doesn't suddenly mean he's been unarguably the best player in the game basically from round 5 2007 through to the latter part of 2014, uninterrupted, finals, home and away, whatever.

You could mount a case that Martin has a bit more hurt factor with every one of his disposals compared to Ablett.
That may be an unpopular opinion but since his debut, Martin's been an elite user of football. Ablett has as well but he's a bit more handball orientated.

If Martin were to now shuffle down to the forward line on a permanent basis, similarly to how Ablett ended his career, and manages a bigger impact by kicking 40's for the next few years, he probably enters the greatest ever debate.

it feels like Danger is 5 years older than Martin. Maybe just the stress on the body from the way Danger plays the game, he has generally played more as a bull who crashes the pack. Martin tends to lurk a little outside the pack and then burst through making him less susceptible to injury.

You could mount a case that Martin has a bit more hurt factor with every one of his disposals compared to Ablett.
That may be an unpopular opinion but since his debut, Martin's been an elite user of football. Ablett has as well but he's a bit more handball orientated.

it just feels that way because Martin plays closer to goal, so any good kick he makes has a high impact.

Ablett was deadly off both feet too, Martin rarely uses the non preferred unless he is really under the pump.

For me the difference seems to be Dusty will try to win the hard ball no matter what the circumstances; whereas Danger will too often try to win the free.

it has started to creep into his game during his time at Geelong. Geelong love to whinge to the umpires, i think Danger has started buying into it a bit.

When he was at Adelaide he would rarely even acknowledge the umpires.

Doesn't seem to effect his polling though, umps love the sound of Dangerfield: 3 votes.

That reminds me how incredible a year both Dusty and Danger had in 2017. Both with 700+ disposals and 37 & 45 goals respectively. First and second in the Brownlow on 36 and 33 votes. You'll never see dominance over the course of a year from two players like that again.

One of those years when a joint winner would have been totally fine.

It's the most annoying thing with the fawning superstar syndrome the footy media have now. Awards are meaning less because star players have to do much less to get them.

It has happened in the brownlow too. 25 votes used to be good enough to win the brownlow most years. Now you need 30 to win more than 20% of the time.

Danger is a great player no doubt.
Danger is a smash and grab player.

Dusty is a finesse and power player at the same time.

Dusty is more the surgeon that can save your life and Danger is more the nurse that get things done .

It's Jack Graham that largely covers for him defensively.
It was very pleasing to see Jack get the flag he missed in 19 due to self sacrifice and injury in the prelim.

GAJ has the mantle for now due to consistency. If Martin does this again next year there is simply no questions that can be asked he is the GOAT. Biggest stage and steps up every time. Martin at 29 has the time to do this longer and only time will tell.

GAJ has the mantle for now due to consistency. If Martin does this again next year there is simply no questions that can be asked he is the GOAT. Biggest stage and steps up every time. Martin at 29 has the time to do this longer and only time will tell.

Not if its restricted to grand finals.

I've got no drama with him being lauded as the greatest in big games or whatever but if, hypothetically - and I'm not suggesting this has happened or will happen - he plays like a busted arse from rounds 1-22 and then comes out and wins a fourth Norm Smith or whatever, that doesn't elevate the rest of his season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back