Patrick Dangerfield or Scott Pendlebury?

Who is better?

• Total voters

WCE_phil

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
If i had to pick one to join west coast at the peak of their careers to slot into our midfield now it would be Pendles. We already have that inside explosiveness with Shuey and Nicnat. Pendles not only would suit us perfectly but to my mind and using a comparison from my club. He is to inside midfielders as Gaff is to outside midfielders. He will just keep on getting the bill, keep on making great decisions and cut you up time and again.

If i was starting a new club right now and had to pick one player out of the two to build the midfield around it would be Danger. Younger, much more explosive, much more markettable and the sort of player who makes the other players around him seem better than they are.

JohnnyFontane90

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Time will tell, if Adelaide maintain a finals appearance and Geelong dont get up like many predictions you could be right!

well i think crows have the hardest draw possible and cats have a pretty cruisy draw so given how compeititve that lower part of the 8 will be on don't think we can draw reasonable conclusions from that even.

but yes dangerfield is overrated in the same way that all midfielders are overrated. +/- 1 midfielder doesn't make or break a team. ablett left geelong and they won a flag while the team he went to has been a basket case.

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
Dangerfield doesn't dispose of it anywhere near the quality of Pendlebury. In this day and ages that's the most important thing.

Danger so often just burst pack, kick long (and blindly), watch ball go straight back over his head. Maybe you could question the Crows fwd line in the early days, but when you have Tex and Betts there recently, that's unforgiveable.

Pendles is kicking it too a far less damaging fwd line.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
well i think crows have the hardest draw possible and cats have a pretty cruisy draw so given how compeititve that lower part of the 8 will be on don't think we can draw reasonable conclusions from that even.

but yes dangerfield is overrated in the same way that all midfielders are overrated. +/- 1 midfielder doesn't make or break a team. ablett left geelong and they won a flag while the team he went to has been a basket case.

Seriously is our draw that hard, who do you think we play twice?

JohnnyFontane90

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Seriously is our draw that hard, who do you think we play twice?
well i'd say the crows would start outsiders in their first games straight. so by round 7 you could potentially be below carlton. that's an awful lot of ground to make up...

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
Pendles is my favourite non Eagle to watch. Silky smooth. He doesn't have the electric attributes that guys like Dangerfield, Judd in his prime, Rioli et al.... But so often you get to half time in a match and barely notice Pendlebury, yet he has had 17 touches, 4 marks, a goal and given off the last pass in another 3 goals.

Every player has the own attributes. If you're 20 points down with 5 on the clock then you want a guy like Dangerfield running through the middle because he just might pull it out of his ass.

Vintage

Club Legend
Mar 5, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
who's better - tough call.

If I had to pick one for Freo I'd have Pendles as we could use the better user more than the contested ball winner at the moment.

JohnnyFontane90

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Pendles is my favourite non Eagle to watch. Silky smooth. He doesn't have the electric attributes that guys like Dangerfield, Judd in his prime, Rioli et al.... But so often you get to half time in a match and barely notice Pendlebury, yet he has had 17 touches, 4 marks, a goal and given off the last pass in another 3 goals.

Every player has the own attributes. If you're 20 points down with 5 on the clock then you want a guy like Dangerfield running through the middle because he just might pull it out of his ass.

i'd call that a negative. people say the same thing about bryce gibbs

rideclutch

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Formula 1, PGA Tour
Pendles for me, you can't say no to a player of that consistency over a period of time. Outstanding elite footballer.

With that said, Danger is pretty much my fave non-Tiges player :thumbsu:

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
2010 maybe not but he was easily in the top 5.

2011 he was top 3 along with Chris Judd and Dane Swan.

2012 he was arguably second best if not best in the comp prior to his leg injury mid season.

2013 he was 4th behind Ablett, Selwood and Swan.

2014 and 2015 he's slipped a little but still in the top 10 easily in both years.
you look too much at stats. Ablett has always been better in every year Pendlebury has played. Judd, franklin, mitchell and fyfe have all reached higher levels as well. Pendlebury is on the level of danger, selwood, swan and Hodge.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong

If you barely notice him he probably isn't playing that well.

rideclutch

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Formula 1, PGA Tour
Consistency is only about 1 in 10 facets that make up a great footballer. Why do so many solely focus on this one. Its weird.
Yeah, he consistently covers a number of those facets. Hence, great footballer.

Ozil

Club Legend
Dec 10, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
Pendles. Has considerably more influence on the outcome of a game, I think.

Feb 25, 2016
KFC
AFL Club
Melbourne
Lol I thought we were talking about best player not highest player ratings. Fyfe was clearly the best player this year. Any ratings indicator that doesnt have him streets in front is simply wrong. Quite a few others ahead of Pendlebury as well.
Player ratings uses the last 40 games I believe so Pendles has been better for longer

Mar 2, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Bushrangers
Feel free to disagree because I admit that this is a very biased post, but I really think Pendles is a victim of his own constantly high standards. People just expect him to play at that ultra high level, so when he does he doesn't stand out. For instance I think if any other player had the season he did last year they would have made the All-Australian side, but because he is consistently that bloody good he gets overlooked.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Dangerfield, due to his explosiveness and goalkicking, both areas which Pendlebury lacks. Dangerfield is also in better form.

Agree, Danger's field kicking can quite often be sloppy but as you say it's his explosiveness and goalkicking that sets him apart.

For a number of reasons, I've posted it on the Geelong board, he's right in his prime now, I think he'll be a better footballer at Geelong than he was at Adelaide.

I expect him to be a consistent top 5 player in the league.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Feel free to disagree because I admit that this is a very biased post, but I really think Pendles is a victim of his own constantly high standards. People just expect him to play at that ultra high level, so when he does he doesn't stand out. For instance I think if any other player had the season he did last year they would have made the All-Australian side, but because he is consistently that bloody good he gets overlooked.

It's called the Greg Williams syndrome.

Back