Patrick Dangerfield - potential GOAT?

Could Patrick Dangerfield become the greatest player of all time?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

His best on ground in the first qtr was amazing.... and so influental.
Really made the rest of the game meaningless.... for the Swans players.

Some points.

He wasn't best on ground. But he was close.

He was, and this is not an exaggeration, LITERALLY the ONLY Geelong player in the game in that quarter. Selwood was the best player in hoops and maybe on the field in the last 3 quarters but Dangerfield stood alone among our 22 when we were getting belted. You could be driving around in an F1 car on the MCG and have no influence if none of your teammates are doing anything.
Critiquing him on that performance is absolutely laughable.

Some points.

He wasn't best on ground. But he was close.

He was, and this is not an exaggeration, LITERALLY the ONLY Geelong player in the game in that quarter. Selwood was the best player in hoops and maybe on the field in the last 3 quarters but Dangerfield stood alone among our 22 when we were getting belted. You could be driving around in an F1 car on the MCG and have no influence if none of your teammates are doing anything.
Critiquing him on that performance is absolutely laughable.
Is not that performance alone it's become seasonal.

I don't really understand your point. As someone who watched all our games, he was clearly not just our best player but our most influential especially when we were in an actual contest.
Don't get me wrong, he has been.
Just not in finals. That's the reason Adelaide got rid of him so cheaply.
If they still had the sub rule.... maybe he could be of influence.

Don't get me wrong, he has been.
Just not in finals. That's the reason Adelaide got rid of him so cheaply.
If they still had the sub rule.... maybe he could be of influence.

So your argument has gone from seasonal to a span of two games - in one of which he could have had to 100 touches in a quarter and had no impact, and in the other of which he was yet again among the best players (not THE best) on the field, in a game.decided by less than a kick?

So we keep hearing.

As everyone knows, nothing can change in football over 7-8 years.

Well it does seem Geelong will be looking at a rebuild, and probably won't be up there for the next few years, they haven't done as well as Sydney in terms of getting in young talent.

- All Australian
- MVP
- Coaches Award
- Best and Fairest
- Brownlow
- Premiership Player
- Norm Smith

These are his achievements in his first year as a Cat, and he is still only 26 years old!

I know the latter four haven't occured yet, but they're pretty much a formality.

Last night, he was presented with the MVP award, and he sent a shudder down the spines of all the other sides, by saying that he still has a lot of improvement left in his game.

His 48 disposal game against North Melbourne this year was the best game by a midfielder that I've seen since Gary Ablett Snr.

Before anyone shouts me down, yes it was a better game than any game ever played by Gary Ablett Jnr.

I really think that Paddy has all the tools to become the greatest player to have ever played the game.

Note that I say 'potential' in the thread title, and a lot of players don't fulfill their potential, see Jarrad Waite.

Do you think that Patrick Dangerfield could become the GOAT?

Adelaide really got screwed with the compensation they got for him :thumbsdown:

To think that Geelong could have signed him without giving up any draft picks, as he was a free agent.
Lol you jumped the gun there , no premiership and norm smith . gaz is better so far , played in a team full of kids and still won brownlow . best individual player of all time , when danger can do this for 6-7 years straight then get back to me , danger has only done this for about 2-3 years max .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope he doesn't become GOAT. Will mean 3 times as much media and he already gets too much. Is it just me that finds him really boring? For some reason every interview he does seems so tedious. Okay so as a rule professional sports persons aren't usually going to have the most dynamic views or whatever so a few of them are a bit of a yawn, but Danger just puts me to sleep every time. I literally forgot his speech as he made it. It was unavoidable obviously but it was an unfortunate comparison having Fyfe skulking about the joint because he provides a bit of clear contrast and throws Danger's uninterestingness into sharp relief.

So your argument has gone from seasonal to a span of two games - in one of which he could have had to 100 touches in a quarter and had no impact, and in the other of which he was yet again among the best players (not THE best) on the field, in a game.decided by less than a kick?
Try reading and take into account what I'm quoting.
Never said he was completely crap just in finals.
Most of 40 disposals resulted in a team mate nearly being decapitated. But the stats sheet looks pretty, as it did for alot of the games for the season. He may well be your best player but he really only has duckwood to compete with. Most wouldn't pick him as the best in the league. He had this token awarded to him as soon as his trade was completed in appreciation for all the media coverage.

Most of 40 disposals resulted in a team mate nearly being decapitated. But the stats sheet looks pretty, as it did for alot of the games for the season. He may well be your best player but he really only has duckwood to compete with. Most wouldn't pick him as the best in the league. He had this token awarded to him as soon as his trade was completed in appreciation for all the media coverage.

Except nearly everyone did.
Media, fans, players, coaches, umpires.
Of course some random dog fan counts over all of those.

You honestly don't think most would pick him as best in the league? Who is then?

Well it does seem Geelong will be looking at a rebuild, and probably won't be up there for the next few years, they haven't done as well as Sydney in terms of getting in young talent.

Haven't heard that before.

Lonergan, Mackie, Taylor, Enright and Bartel. They are big holes to fill in coming years tho Taylor is 30 so has a while to go yet.

However with Selwood, Danger field, Hawkins, Scott Selwood, Menegola, Smith, Henderson, Stanley, Duncan, Menzel, Motlop if he doesn't get traded, Caddy, Guthrie, Cowan we have 14 players between 23 and 28. That's a decent age profile especially with guys like Bews, McCarthy, Cockatoo, Thurlow, Kolodjashnij, Gregson and Lang well under that age bracket.

I just don't get this f***ing cancerous obsession with having to rebuild. Sydney haven't done it. Hawthorn haven't done it. We haven't done it. Between the 3 clubs we've missed 3 of their last 27 seasons combined. And all been at least to a preliminary final in the last 2 years. We don't need to do it.

Haven't heard that before.

Lonergan, Mackie, Taylor, Enright and Bartel. They are big holes to fill in coming years tho Taylor is 30 so has a while to go yet.

However with Selwood, Danger field, Hawkins, Scott Selwood, Menegola, Smith, Henderson, Stanley, Duncan, Menzel, Motlop if he doesn't get traded, Caddy, Guthrie, Cowan we have 14 players between 23 and 28. That's a decent age profile especially with guys like Bews, McCarthy, Cockatoo, Thurlow, Kolodjashnij, Gregson and Lang well under that age bracket.

I just don't get this f***ing cancerous obsession with having to rebuild. Sydney haven't done it. Hawthorn haven't done it. We haven't done it. Between the 3 clubs we've missed 3 of their last 27 seasons combined. And all been at least to a preliminary final in the last 2 years. We don't need to do it.

True, you may have a point, but I do feel Sydney will still have your measure...I hope the Bulldogs get even better, win or lose the premiership, and will be up there too. And GWS too, of course.

You could say that about almost every elite player in the competition - they've only got x and y to compete with. Sydney are the only notable exception.

I thought you were going to build towards a salient point at some stage but the above is utter garbage. Every game we won - there was 18 of them so it wasn't like it was rare - had major input from him. You can spin it however you like - for someone who likes to slag off the impact of popular opinion you're pretty good as blindly following it when it comes to just assuming he always sends the ball to the opposition or a teammate in a bad position - but it doesn't change the fact that he was comfortably the best player in the comp all season.

True, you may have a point, but I do feel Sydney will still have your measure...I hope the Bulldogs get even better, win or lose the premiership, and will be up there too. And GWS too, of course.

At the moment I agree 100 per cent, they do have our measure. And I can't see the dogs or giants going anywhere for a while. But we have a lot of scope for improvement IMO.

I get he is great but I have no idea how is disposal efficiency was as high as it was in the prelim as all he really did was bomb it long all game. McClure nailed it at half time in the prelim 22 touches but 0 impact.

The fapping is over the top IMO, would choose Fyfe every day of the week and twice on Sunday

Sigh.
Cats don't MAKE the finals without him and he has above average (including above every swans midfielder) DE% over the year...
And his disposal was so damaging that with 72 forward entries (many from him) geelong were able to score how many goals??? In a dream world if you think he was BOG. Probably 7-8 swans ahead of him

I get he is great but I have no idea how is disposal efficiency was as high as it was in the prelim as all he really did was bomb it long all game. McClure nailed it at half time in the prelim 22 touches but 0 impact.

The fapping is over the top IMO, would choose Fyfe every day of the week and twice on Sunday

BINGO

Back