Patrick Dangerfield - potential GOAT?

Could Patrick Dangerfield become the greatest player of all time?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The swans failed to press home the competitive advantage in the last 3 qtrs because to do so encompassed higher risk than what they did. Being aggressive meant they could be burnt in response if they continued it and geelong got into the game . Much more sensible to simply control the game defensively and play out for the win as they did. Had the result been in any doubt the onslaught would have continued make no doubt about that. That is why you had 72 inside 50s for nil result. A defensive stranglehold on the game

Which disproves the selwood claim how exactly?

I agree entirely. Had the game somehow become closer I have no doubt the Swans could have lifted a gear and closed the game out regardless.

Doesn't change the fact that the bloke who set an all time record for contested touches in a final was the best out there after quarter time.

Nor does that performance from Selwood change the fact that we got hammered.

All of which is irrelevant to the original point being argued anyway, which was that Danger is some sort of myth based on one half of football in which he was a standout in a flogged side.

Which disproves the selwood claim how exactly?

I agree entirely. Had the game somehow become closer I have no doubt the Swans could have lifted a gear and closed the game out regardless.

Doesn't change the fact that the bloke who set an all time record for contested touches in a final was the best out there after quarter time.

Nor does that performance from Selwood change the fact that we got hammered.

All of which is irrelevant to the original point being argued anyway, which was that Danger is some sort of myth based on one half of football in which he was a standout in a flogged side.

You can believe that. I don't. I know when I was watching the game I assess an opposition players impact by the fear factor. No disrespect to him but at no stage in that game did I have genuine fear when he got the ball. Despite the number of touches they amounted to negligible. Every time there was a forward entry it was snuffed out. Every time he had possession he was under tackle pressure. His impact was controlled IMO.

You can believe that. I don't. I know when I was watching the game I assess an opposition players impact by the fear factor. No disrespect to him but at no stage in that game did I have genuine fear when he got the ball. Despite the number of touches they amounted to negligible. Every time there was a forward entry it was snuffed out. Every time he had possession he was under tackle pressure. His impact was controlled IMO.

That's fair enough - which one are you talking about tho?

If Dangerfield's first quarter or two, then generally he didn't have much to kick to. It seemed from watching that the only time we had players in space was when Sydney had the ball.

If you are referring to Selwood, honestly when the game almost started to become a contest at 30 points, I wanted the ball in his hands as often as possible. He was head and shoulders our best chance by that stage of getting any closer.

Don't know how you can be the GOAT if you can't hit an open man leading at you 30 meters away. Bar Priddis and Cooney i'd take any of the previous Brownlow winners of the last 15 years over Dangerfield

So strong, so powerful and explosive very unique if he was a good kick it would almost be unfair, however as it stands he's one of the worse kicks in the Afl. I seriously question his football IQ I think because he's so naturally gifted he never bothered to develop a great understanding of how to play the game, zero creativity and premeditation in his playstyle.

So strong, so powerful and explosive very unique if he was a good kick it would almost be unfair, however as it stands he's one of the worse kicks in the Afl. I seriously question his football IQ I think because he's so naturally gifted he never bothered to develop a great understanding of how to play the game, zero creativity and premeditation in his playstyle.

Don't talk s**t. You don't get to be 5th in effective disposals in the whole of the AFL if you are a poor kick.

2016 Statistical Rankings
Ranked 1st in Total Inside 50s Ranked 9th in Total Goal Assists
Ranked 6th in Total Kicks Ranked 8th in Total Handballs
Ranked 3rd in Total Disposals Ranked 1st in Total Supercoach Score
Ranked 1st in Total AFL Fantasy Score Ranked 2nd in Total Contested Possessions
Ranked 5th in Total Effective Disposals Ranked 6th in Total Clangers
Ranked 4th in Total Clearances Ranked 1st in Inside 50s Per Game
Ranked 20th in Goal Assists Per Game Ranked 10th in Kicks Per Game
Ranked 9th in Handballs Per Game Ranked 2nd in Disposals Per Game
Ranked 1st in Supercoach Score Per Game Ranked 1st in AFL Fantasy Score Per Game
Ranked 4th in Contested Possessions Per Game Ranked 6th in Effective Disposals Per Game
Ranked 13th in Clangers Per Game Ranked 6th in Clearances Per Game

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-geelong-cats--patrick-dangerfield

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't talk s**t. You don't get to be 5th in effective disposals in the whole of the AFL if you are a poor kick.

2016 Statistical Rankings
Ranked 1st in Total Inside 50s Ranked 9th in Total Goal Assists
Ranked 6th in Total Kicks Ranked 8th in Total Handballs
Ranked 3rd in Total Disposals Ranked 1st in Total Supercoach Score
Ranked 1st in Total AFL Fantasy Score Ranked 2nd in Total Contested Possessions
Ranked 5th in Total Effective Disposals Ranked 6th in Total Clangers
Ranked 4th in Total Clearances Ranked 1st in Inside 50s Per Game
Ranked 20th in Goal Assists Per Game Ranked 10th in Kicks Per Game
Ranked 9th in Handballs Per Game Ranked 2nd in Disposals Per Game
Ranked 1st in Supercoach Score Per Game Ranked 1st in AFL Fantasy Score Per Game
Ranked 4th in Contested Possessions Per Game Ranked 6th in Effective Disposals Per Game
Ranked 13th in Clangers Per Game Ranked 6th in Clearances Per Game

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-geelong-cats--patrick-dangerfield
You realise that an effective kick just means kicking to a contest or to open space, as in, short of kicking it to an opposition player, your kick has been effective purely because it gained ground. The prelim final Dangerfield had 74% kicking efficiency, you go back and rewatch his gane and tell me 3 of his 4 kicks were "effective". He's an absolute butcher champ.

I'd take Bont over Dangerfield in a heartbeat. I'd be willing to bet most clubs would.

You realise that an effective kick just means kicking to a contest or to open space, as in, short of kicking it to an opposition player, your kick has been effective purely because it gained ground. The prelim final Dangerfield had 74% kicking efficiency, you go back and rewatch his gane and tell me 3 of his 4 kicks were "effective". He's an absolute butcher champ.

Looking at one game doesn't accurately reflect his general contribution. It was a high pressure finals game where many kicks were slammed onto the boot. He mainly plays inside mid and he was 6th ranked for clearances in the comp.

But look at his season overall. He was ranked 1st in Total Inside 50s. Anyone doing that will be putting their team to advantage to a large degree. Compare him to a player regarded as a more accurate kick, like Jordan Lewis, inside 50s - 194 vs 86.

Danger was also ranked 3rd in the AFL in scoring chain involvements. You don't get these numbers if you butcher the ball.

He was also No. 1 in metres gained, I believe breaking both the individual game and season total records.

PFD is not the GOAT but he is easily the best player in the comp right now.

Looking at one game doesn't accurately reflect his general contribution. It was a high pressure finals game where many kicks were slammed onto the boot. He mainly plays inside mid and he was 6th ranked for clearances in the comp.

But look at his season overall. He was ranked 1st in Total Inside 50s. Anyone doing that will be putting their team to advantage to a large degree. Compare him to a player regarded as a more accurate kick, like Jordan Lewis, inside 50s - 194 vs 86.

Danger was also ranked 3rd in the AFL in scoring chain involvements. You don't get these numbers if you butcher the ball.

He was also No. 1 in metres gained, I believe breaking both the individual game and season total records.

I'm saying he's not a great kick, it's a big flaw in his game, period. This isn't news he doesn't compare to the other elite players of the Comp when it comes to kicking, doesn't mean he isn't quality. Did I say he was crap? No, just that he isn't a good enough kick to ever consider being GOAT.

He sure missed a lot of targets by hand that game too.

He's not a technically strong player, he's someone that relies heavily on his physical attributes. Not necessarily a bad thing, but he'll always be a mile behind Ablett and Judd.

I'm saying he's not a great kick, it's a big flaw in his game, period. This isn't news he doesn't compare to the other elite players of the Comp when it comes to kicking, doesn't mean he isn't quality. Did I say he was crap? No, just that he isn't a good enough kick to ever consider being GOAT.

You said 'He's an absolute butcher'. Just because he's not elite in kicking does not make him a butcher. He'd be in the top 5%. He's 6th ranked for clearances in the comp, 1st in Total Inside 50s. 3rd for scoring chain involvements. These are elite stats.

He's 6th ranked for clearances in the comp, 1st in Total Inside 50s. 3rd for scoring chain involvements. These are elite stats.
None of those stats effectively disprove the claim that he's a butcher. Any butcher can bomb the ball out of stoppages, bomb inside 50, or provide an easy handball in a link that leads to a goal.

He's not a technically strong player, he's someone that relies heavily on his physical attributes. Not necessarily a bad thing, but he'll always be a mile behind Ablett and Judd.

You say that like Judd didn't rely heavily on his physical attributes as well. I seem to remember him copping similar criticisms about his kicking and delivery into the forward line during his Carlton days, too.

Back