Prediction Patrick Dangerfield to become a 400 gamer

Will Patrick Dangerfield play 400 games?

• Total voters

King Cold

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL
Patrick Dangerfield is 31 years old yet has already played 285 games.

He has another 3 years on his contract so barring any serious injury he should reach 350 games by the time he's 34 and his current contract expires.

After that I expect the club will offer Danger the standard 1 year veterans deals.

Given Danger's versatility around the ground, it's not beyond the realms of possibility for Danger to play for another 3 years after 2024 and predominantly at full forward.

I predict that Danger will become a 400 gamer and it'll be somewhat ironic given him and Shaun Burgoyne both played 150 games for the Crows and Power respectively, followed by playing 250 games for the Cats and Hawks respectively. I just hope we don't nurse Danger to 400 like the Hawks nursed Burgoyne to 400. In my opinion the 400 game milestone is cheapened knowing Fletcher and Burgoyne were both nursed to 400, especially when Tuck, Bartlett and Harvey all well and truly earned the 400 game milestone on their own merits by playing such good footy for so long. In fact, Tuck and Harvey had to be tapped on the shoulder to retire, and both could have easily aged on for at least another year if they weren't tapped on the shoulder, that's how good the footy was from both of them in their final seasons.

I expect David Mundy to become the next 400 gamer in the league and Dangerfield to become the next 400 gamer after Mundy.

Dangerfield could easily kick 50+ goals playing as a permanent forward in his mid 30s. He kicked 45 goals in 2017 playing predominantly as a midfielder, and 2017 was easily Danger's best season despite the fact the media pundits all rated his 2016 higher. After Danger hurt his ankle against the Hawks in round 17 2017 and Chris Scott moved him to full forward permanently for the rest of the game, it was easily the most dominant game I've seen from a Cats player playing full forward since Gary Ablett Snr.

What does everyone think? Am I in the majority or the minority of Cats supporters who believe Danger is a very good chance to play 400 games?

He's only had one serious injury throughout his whole career and that was a contact injury which anyone can get regardless of age. It's not like Danger has a bad history with soft tissue injuries, he's had a handful of minor hamstring injuries that's about it.

Jan 1, 2022
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What about Joel Selwood? He's tracking similar to Dangerfield having played 334 games at the age of 33 years old.

Also, you may be underestimating how serious Dangerfield's ankle injury was last year, and unlike Dangerfield, Selwood has never had any serious injuries in his career.

It's quite remarkable how Selwood's body continues to hold up, given how other clubs said he wouldn't make it at AFL level because his knee was screwed.

Selwood is an even 66 games shy of the 400 game milestone, which is obviously an even three full home and away seasons. Throw in finals on top of that and Selwood can afford to be rested for a few games over the next three seasons and still make it to 400 games, provided he *touchwood* remains relatively injury free.

I'd be looking at Selwood before Dangerfield in terms of being a potential 400 game player at Geelong.

Perhaps even Hawkins who has played 302 games and is arguably at the peak of his powers, however it would require Hawkins to play for another five seasons which would see him playing at the age of 38.

Hawkins has never had a serious injury either. The worst injury he's had in his career were his back issues in 2013 and they're clearly long behind him now.

All in all, regardless of whether or not any of these players play 400 games, it's remarkable how all of Selwood, Hawkins and Dangerfield have been so consistent in terms of their high quality output over such a long period of time, with the only serious long term injury between the three of them being Dangerfield's ankle injury last year.

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
What about Joel Selwood? He's tracking similar to Dangerfield having played 334 games at the age of 33 years old.

Also, you may be underestimating how serious Dangerfield's ankle injury was last year, and unlike Dangerfield, Selwood has never had any serious injuries in his career.

It's quite remarkable how Selwood's body continues to hold up, given how other clubs said he wouldn't make it at AFL level because his knee was screwed.

Selwood is an even 66 games shy of the 400 game milestone, which is obviously an even three full home and away seasons. Throw in finals on top of that and Selwood can afford to be rested for a few games over the next three seasons and still make it to 400 games, provided he *touchwood* remains relatively injury free.

I'd be looking at Selwood before Dangerfield in terms of being a potential 400 game player at Geelong.

How ironic you mention the severity of dangers injury, when selwood also had the same injury a few seasons ago.

And there has to be next to no chance of selwood playing on after this season surely? He looks completely cooked.

As for danger playing 400. I hope not. He’s already showing signs of decline. If he’s still playing in 5 years then we are in serious trouble. I just don’t see him as an effective forward, especially when he is such a horrible kick. Who cares in he takes 5 marks up forward if he’s routinely going to kick 1.4.

I’d rather we play a young forward with a future than sticking danger down there as a retirement gig.

Jan 1, 2022
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
How ironic you mention the severity of dangers injury, when selwood also had the same injury a few seasons ago.

And there has to be next to no chance of selwood playing on after this season surely? He looks completely cooked.

As for danger playing 400. I hope not. He’s already showing signs of decline. If he’s still playing in 5 years then we are in serious trouble. I just don’t see him as an effective forward, especially when he is such a horrible kick. Who cares in he takes 5 marks up forward if he’s routinely going to kick 1.4.

I’d rather we play a young forward with a future than sticking danger down there as a retirement gig.

Selwood only missed three weeks when he did his ankle, while Dangerfield missed two months.

Selwood, Dangerfield and Hawkins have all been very durable over their careers, there's no arguing that. Hell, Charlie Curnow has had more injuries than Hawkins during his career, and Curnow is 10 years younger than Hawkins.

Cant see Danger doing more than 3 seasons, more likely 2. Selwood will finish this year and will chuck in the towel early if he cant perform at the level he demands of himself. Both players were nowhere near their best in 2021. Players who get to 400 aren't renowned for being bullocking players like Selwood and Danger. Hawkins - interesting, dont think he will make it to 400, but could end up the games record holder - Selwood predicted as much last year. Has spent more time in the twos than Danger and Selwood, which may be the difference

Selwood only missed three weeks when he did his ankle, while Dangerfield missed two months.

Selwood, Dangerfield and Hawkins have all been very durable over their careers, there's no arguing that. Hell, Charlie Curnow has had more injuries than Hawkins during his career, and Curnow is 10 years younger than Hawkins.

Both players suffered a syndesmosis injury that required surgery to aid in recovery - biggest difference was the time of season the injuries occurred

Selwood was out for 36 days between matches and would likely have been out for longer had it not be for finals

Dangerfield was out for 54 days, it was earlier in the season and the team was going along quite nicely at the time, which allowed for Dangerfield to take longer to return from injury

Reverse the time of season the injuries occurred and it's highly likely that the time frames to return are also different

Jan 1, 2022
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Cant see Danger doing more than 3 seasons, more likely 2. Selwood will finish this year and will chuck in the towel early if he cant perform at the level he demands of himself. Both players were nowhere near their best in 2021. Players who get to 400 aren't renowned for being bullocking players like Selwood and Danger. Hawkins - interesting, dont think he will make it to 400, but could end up the games record holder - Selwood predicted as much last year. Has spent more time in the twos than Danger and Selwood, which may be the difference

Hawkins has missed too many games thanks to suspension and form issues early on in his career, which saw him in and out of the Geelong side.

Hawkins would have to play until he's 38 years old if he were to become a 400 game player, he's currently in the best shape of his career, so it's a shame he's missed too much footy otherwise I reckon he'd be able to give the 400 game milestone a real shake.

crocsta

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Hawkins is our best chance at 400 although very unlikely. His game is based on height, strength and footy nous. These aren’t going away anytime soon.

He may come up against the next generation of 200cm athletic defenders but Hawkins is a super smart player and protects ball drop area so can outplay the younger players.

He looks like he really enjoys his footy so may be happy to kick 40 goals a year for next 5-6 season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawkins has missed too many games thanks to suspension and form issues early on in his career, which saw him in and out of the Geelong side.

Hawkins would have to play until he's 38 years old if he were to become a 400 game player, he's currently in the best shape of his career, so it's a shame he's missed too much footy otherwise I reckon he'd be able to give the 400 game milestone a real shake.

Interestingly, for all his injury issues, Hawkins has never missed substantial time due to them

2013 was the main year he battled with an ongoing back issue & he played 22 games - he would have missed more games due to suspension over recent seasons than he's missed due to injury over his career

And yes he didn't play 40 games over his first couple of seasons, but not sure that's totally uncommon for new players - some step straight into the senior team, others take time to develop in the VFL, which was the case for Tom. Plus we had a pretty good forward line early in his career that he had to try & forces his way into, so no shame in the slow start to his career

Selwood & Hawkins started their careers at the same time, Joel is currently on 334 games and potentially heading into his last season, while Hawkins is on 302 (not bad for a guy who gave him a headstart over their first two season). Hawkins looks like he could keep playing for another couple of seasons and could easily make up the games differential & reach 350 games if he plays for 2 more seasons

Jan 1, 2022
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Interestingly, for all his injury issues, Hawkins has never missed substantial time due to them

2013 was the main year he battled with an ongoing back issue & he played 22 games - he would have missed more games due to suspension over recent seasons than he's missed due to injury over his career

And yes he didn't play 40 games over his first couple of seasons, but not sure that's totally uncommon for new players - some step straight into the senior team, others take time to develop in the VFL, which was the case for Tom. Plus we had a pretty good forward line early in his career that he had to try & forces his way into, so no shame in the slow start to his career

Selwood & Hawkins started their careers at the same time, Joel is currently on 334 games and potentially heading into his last season, while Hawkins is on 302 (not bad for a guy who gave him a headstart over their first two season). Hawkins looks like he could keep playing for another couple of seasons and could easily make up the games differential & reach 350 games if he plays for 2 more seasons

True, KPFs don't grow on trees, and regardless of how old they are, if they're still producing high quality football on a consistent basis while remaining relatively injury free, there's no reason to tap them on the shoulder early.

You underestimate the impact of Danger’s INJURIES in 2021 - right ankle and a hand injury, both of which required surgery. I don’t think he’ll get to 400, but I also do t think he is finished yet

And yes he didn't play 40 games over his first couple of seasons, but not sure that's totally uncommon for new players - some step straight into the senior team, others take time to develop in the VFL, which was the case for Tom
Yeah - which brings comparisons with Tuck - played 50 games in the reserves before then rolling off an eye-watering 426 games in the seniors. Tuck used to lope along in an economical fashion, whilst Hawkins does intense short bursts, but neither player went inside packs, extracted the pill or bursts through tackles. Tom's biggest issue is the number of matches lost to suspension.

Both players suffered a syndesmosis injury that required surgery to aid in recovery - biggest difference was the time of season the injuries occurred

Selwood was out for 36 days between matches and would likely have been out for longer had it not be for finals

Dangerfield was out for 54 days, it was earlier in the season and the team was going along quite nicely at the time, which allowed for Dangerfield to take longer to return from injury

Reverse the time of season the injuries occurred and it's highly likely that the time frames to return are also different
You are always so moderate...and balanced.....and even-tempered.
Ideal for moderating.

standupand

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2019
Meanjin
AFL Club
Geelong
Won't happen. His next milestone will be 300 games without a premiership.
Would join:
Marc Murphy
Rohan Smith
Len Thompson
Nathan Jones
Travis Boak
David Neitz
Scott Thompson
Robert Murphy
Stewart Loewe
Nick Dal Santo
Nathan Burke
Scott West
Ian Nankervis
Barry Round
Garry Dempsey
Drew Petrie
Brendon Goddard
Nick Riewoldt
Chris Grant
Kade Simpson
Eddie Betts
Doug Hawkins
Matthew Pavlich
David Mundy
Paul Roos
Brad Johnson
Bernie Quinlan
Robert Harvey
Brent Harvey (won a premiership in 1999 but played more than 300 games without one after that)

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Would join:
Marc Murphy
Rohan Smith
Len Thompson
Nathan Jones
Travis Boak
David Neitz
Scott Thompson
Robert Murphy
Stewart Loewe
Nick Dal Santo
Nathan Burke
Scott West
Ian Nankervis
Barry Round
Garry Dempsey
Drew Petrie
Brendon Goddard
Nick Riewoldt
Chris Grant
Kade Simpson
Eddie Betts
Doug Hawkins
Matthew Pavlich
David Mundy
Paul Roos
Brad Johnson
Bernie Quinlan
Robert Harvey
Brent Harvey (won a premiership in 1999 but played more than 300 games without one after that)

and would most of these guys loved to have been Mario Bortolotto or Shagga Byrnes.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Would join:
Marc Murphy
Rohan Smith
Len Thompson
Nathan Jones
Travis Boak
David Neitz
Scott Thompson
Robert Murphy
Stewart Loewe
Nick Dal Santo
Nathan Burke
Scott West
Ian Nankervis
Barry Round
Garry Dempsey
Drew Petrie
Brendon Goddard
Nick Riewoldt
Chris Grant
Kade Simpson
Eddie Betts
Doug Hawkins
Matthew Pavlich
David Mundy
Paul Roos
Brad Johnson
Bernie Quinlan
Robert Harvey

Have to feel a bit for Nathan Jones from that list. Carried that team on his back for a good 5+ consecutive years and the very moment he began to show signs of decline, was out of the best 22 and they go on to win the flag while he watches from the stands.

Feels a bit like Riccardi who played all those years in losing grand finals. Retires in 2006 and we win the flag the next year.

standupand

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2019
Meanjin
AFL Club
Geelong
Have to feel a bit for Nathan Jones from that list. Carried that team on his back for a good 5+ consecutive years and the very moment he began to show signs of decline, was out of the best 22 and they go on to win the flag while he watches from the stands.

Feels a bit like Riccardi who played all those years in losing grand finals. Retires in 2006 and we win the flag the next year.
Gotta feel for most of those players. Champions of the game but denied the one thing they played 300+ games striving for. In terms of Jones, what it says to me is that there can be no room for sentimentality when it comes to a successful side. Sometimes I worry about that with our team. Has Selwood been left to play on too long in search of another flag? Will Danger destroy himself striving for one? Well, actually these things aren't really connected. Flags are won (and celebrated) by a whole club, and solely by that club. When a player's career is over, it can be celebrated in its own right, by everyone.

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong

Exactly how I equate the Jones situation; a bit sad but that's life.
Riccardi a great servant of the club; he was up and about during the ill-fated 92-95 campaigns, but he was probably at his very best when the club was close to the worst I'd seen in my time following Geelong.
I rate Riccardi highly.

dangerwood

Club Legend
Dec 19, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
I don't think Dangerfield will have a super long career. I don't think he will play past his current contract.

He's ability is his power and speed, both of which have already declined. If your ability as a player relies on something that has diminished then where does that leave you?

I think skillful players tend to be able to last longer because they can still use their skill once their speed goes. Silk being an example.

Brent Harvey was a bit of an enigma and seemed to maintain his pace til the end. Fletcher also still kept his pace but was also able to use his height and reading of the game.

I don't think Dangerfield will have a super long career. I don't think he will play past his current contract.

He's ability is his power and speed, both of which have already declined. If your ability as a player relies on something that has diminished then where does that leave you?

I think skillful players tend to be able to last longer because they can still use their skill once their speed goes. Silk being an example.

Brent Harvey was a bit of an enigma and seemed to maintain his pace til the end. Fletcher also still kept his pace but was also able to use his height and reading of the game.
Agree with all of that.
Unless Danger can rely on his overhead marking and acceleration as a Menzel type forward.
But Dusty should have no issues maintaining his career if he has the appetite.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Fletcher also still kept his pace but was also able to use his height and reading of the game.

He was 40 when he retired, lol, that's quite incredible when you think about it.

The equivalent of Dangerfield only just making it half through his career as he goes into season 2022.

Back