Prediction Patrick Dangerfield to become a 400 gamer

Will Patrick Dangerfield play 400 games?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

He doesn't have the skills to play once his physical gifts deteriorate IMO.

Said it before but it's one of the reason's I believe he's struggled in finals. When the pressure is dialled up to 11 and bodies are flying he doesn't have the skills to fall back on like a Hodge or Dusty did/do (Big surprise, known finals performers)

Paddy doesn't strike me as the type to want to hang around as a bottom 6 player either. He's a family man and he'll want to retire still looking somewhat like the great player he's been I reckon.

Joel's the opposite. Hocking might have to drag him off the field
Tend to agree, although for me Danger's indifferent form in finals (he has played some very good finals games IIRC, e.g., v Swans) is a mental thing. It's like he feels he has to be the "man" and over does it.

2022 will be an interesting year for Danger. We've been too quick to write him off. 2021 was an injury riddled season for him. If he can get through pre-season unscathed we may be surprised.

Tend to agree, although for me Danger's indifferent form in finals (he has played some very good finals games IIRC, e.g., v Swans) is a mental thing. It's like he feels he has to be the "man" and over does it.

2022 will be an interesting year for Danger. We've been too quick to write him off. 2021 was an injury riddled season for him. If he can get through pre-season unscathed we may be surprised.
Spot on. He had a horrible year with injuries and suspension and we were lucky to get as much out of him as we did.
Can't see him as a 400 gamer, but in no way is he cooked.

Spot on. He had a horrible year with injuries and suspension and we were lucky to get as much out of him as we did.
Can't see him as a 400 gamer, but in no way is he cooked.

His style of game means he will decline rapidly. I think some of our supporters are not willing to accept it.
Nat Fyfe has played a very similar combative game and he is no longer the player he once was from a couple of years ago.
Trent Cotchin has been declining for a lot longer than Patrick and is barely a player to worry about these days.

What is unfortunate about our predicament right now, other than Parfitt, we do not have much youth able to come in and make an immediate impact. Narkle and Holmes have shown signs but we are treading water having spent years topping up and going for broke to win it now.

His style of game means he will decline rapidly. I think some of our supporters are not willing to accept it.
Nat Fyfe has played a very similar combative game and he is no longer the player he once was from a couple of years ago.
Trent Cotchin has been declining for a lot longer than Patrick and is barely a player to worry about these days.

What is unfortunate about our predicament right now, other than Parfitt, we do not have much youth able to come in and make an immediate impact. Narkle and Holmes have shown signs but we are treading water having spent years topping up and going for broke to win it now.
O'Connor and Henry can rotate through there.
Danger is a long way off having no immediate impact, and even Selwood will be ok this season. Guthrie, Menegola, Duncan, Parfitt- we are still well serviced by quality mids, despite their closeness to pensioner status.

Patrick Dangerfield is 31 years old yet has already played 285 games.

He has another 3 years on his contract so barring any serious injury he should reach 350 games by the time he's 34 and his current contract expires.

After that I expect the club will offer Danger the standard 1 year veterans deals.

Given Danger's versatility around the ground, it's not beyond the realms of possibility for Danger to play for another 3 years after 2024 and predominantly at full forward.

I predict that Danger will become a 400 gamer and it'll be somewhat ironic given him and Shaun Burgoyne both played 150 games for the Crows and Power respectively, followed by playing 250 games for the Cats and Hawks respectively. I just hope we don't nurse Danger to 400 like the Hawks nursed Burgoyne to 400. In my opinion the 400 game milestone is cheapened knowing Fletcher and Burgoyne were both nursed to 400, especially when Tuck, Bartlett and Harvey all well and truly earned the 400 game milestone on their own merits by playing such good footy for so long. In fact, Tuck and Harvey had to be tapped on the shoulder to retire, and both could have easily aged on for at least another year if they weren't tapped on the shoulder, that's how good the footy was from both of them in their final seasons.

I expect David Mundy to become the next 400 gamer in the league and Dangerfield to become the next 400 gamer after Mundy.

Dangerfield could easily kick 50+ goals playing as a permanent forward in his mid 30s. He kicked 45 goals in 2017 playing predominantly as a midfielder, and 2017 was easily Danger's best season despite the fact the media pundits all rated his 2016 higher. After Danger hurt his ankle against the Hawks in round 17 2017 and Chris Scott moved him to full forward permanently for the rest of the game, it was easily the most dominant game I've seen from a Cats player playing full forward since Gary Ablett Snr.

What does everyone think? Am I in the majority or the minority of Cats supporters who believe Danger is a very good chance to play 400 games?

He's only had one serious injury throughout his whole career and that was a contact injury which anyone can get regardless of age. It's not like Danger has a bad history with soft tissue injuries, he's had a handful of minor hamstring injuries that's about it.
Lol do people forget the concept of aging? Already showing obvious signs of slowing down. isnt near the player he was 3 years ago.

will probably be retired within 3 years. And if he isnt he probably should be.

Lol do people forget the concept of aging? Already showing obvious signs of slowing down. isnt near the player he was 3 years ago.

will probably be retired within 3 years. And if he isnt he probably should be.
LOL, do some people overlook the impact of injuries? Nobody is saying Dangerfield will return to his Brownlow medal form, but if he has an uninterrupted preseason and no serious injuries like he had in 2021 he should be a better player than the 2021 version

And yes, he may be retired in 3 years.

Looks similar to our midfield last season... and we finished 3rd.
We had selwood and danger helping. And they will only be worse. Guthrie and duncan are now also aging. As is menegola.

And our midfield was not our strength. Was obliterated in the finals. The mids are why we lost. Our foward line and defence are much better. Mids average.

We had selwood and danger helping. And they will only be worse. Guthrie and duncan are now also aging. As is menegola.

And our midfield was not our strength. Was obliterated in the finals. The mids are why we lost. Our foward line and defence are much better. Mids average.

Don’t think we should be worrying about Guthrie, Duncan and Menegola ageing when we still have pensioner duds like Higgins.

Smith will be turning 33 this year, so will be interesting to see how he goes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The mids also helped get us to finals , and we missed many weeks of the impact of Danger , O'Connor, and Duncan.

Arguably yes. A fit rampaging Danger is a scary prospect for opposition. Stewart is never going to be a match-winner.
I mean it’s like comparing Gary Ablett Jnr to Corey Enright. Can’t be done unless you’re questioning loyalty. I respect your opinion Vdubs but this just isn’t it.

TBH I don't mind PFD's decreased importance, not to be confused with effectiveness. I don't want to see the total reliance on him like when he joined the club. The perfect season for him, IMHO, is for him to pick his spots and be the uber-impactful player he was. We need to others to be there just as much as him.
Same could be said for Selwood.

Dusty may never be the same again. The loss of his father may impact his mental health a lot more than anticipated.

Be great if Dangerfield could replicate that 2017 form though.
Until Dusty retires, he will be the best player in the comp this year at least.
His pride and hunger will help keep the Tigers very much in calculations.

Back