Patrick Dangerfield vs Nathan Buckley

Who will be remembered as the better player?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Danger would need to win a Brownlow and deliver in a grand final.

He is on course to do that, but you always back the guy that has runs on the board.

What would have been a better comparison is Patrick Dangerfield versus Chad Wingard at the end of their careers.

Not really a good comparison unless Wingard turns into an elite midfielder. Probably would be better to compare Wingard to other small/medium forwards and Danger to other in-and-under goal kicking midfielders.

Even if Dangerfield gets a premiership and plays more games and gets more disposals, etc .... I still think Buckley was a better player because of his foot skills and rarely made a mistake. Both are great players it would have been great to see them play against each other.

Read the start of the thread and simply shook my head until I realised it was started in 2014.

Dangerfield easily and Buckley was a superb footballer.

Really goes to show how bias you are, saying easily is a insult to Figjam.
Not really champ, I'm pretty objective when it comes to posting on these type of boards and never let emotions or bias interfere.

As good as Buckley was, and I saw his entire career, I simply rate Dangerfield's brute power, explosiveness and ability to hit packs hard and come out with the ball over finesse and sublime kicking skills. When I'm asked to compare players I ask myself who'd come out of top if you kicked the ball into a pack and asked both contestants to win it. I'm certainly not taking anything away from Buckley but Dangerfield is in another league entirely... almost Ablett Jnr and Matthews territory in terms of brute force and influence through the midfield.

A better comparison with Buckley would be Darren Jarman.

I also ask myself how many people who have voted in the poll actually seen Buckley's career. Often voting in these type of things is simply via hatred of certain teams and players... much like the Selwood/Kennedy comparison I seen somewhere on BigFooty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really champ, I'm pretty objective when it comes to posting on these type of boards and never let emotions or bias interfere.

As good as Buckley was, and I saw his entire career, I simply rate Dangerfield's brute power, explosiveness and ability to hit packs hard and come out with the ball over finesse and sublime kicking skills. When I'm asked to compare players I ask myself who'd come out of top if you kicked the ball into a pack and asked both contestants to win it. I'm certainly not taking anything away from Buckley but Dangerfield is in another league entirely... almost Ablett Jnr and Matthews territory in terms of brute force and influence through the midfield.

I also ask myself how many people who have voted in the poll actually seen Buckley's career. Often voting in these type of things is simply via hatred of certain teams and players... much like the Selwood/Kennedy comparison I seen somewhere on BigFooty.
There are very few people involved in footy who the public enjoy taking the piss out of more than Nathan Buckley. If he's winning a poll like this, I think there's a very good explanation as to who is better. It's nothing against the person, Danger is lovely, but Buckley was unbelievably good. He had one of the best kicks of all time, many people will tell you that. He single handed-ly carried an average Collingwood team to successive grand finals. If 2003 Nathan Buckley played for Collingwood in 2016, winning the premiership would have been a massive possibility. Very few players if any at all have had the ability to make such an impact on a team as Buckley did at Collingwood - he was tough and classy, kicked goals, got ball and used it well.

Are you seriously trying to say Geelong/Dangerfield are more despised than Buckley/Collingwood? Come on, man.

And just quietly, Kennedy is as far ahead of Selwood as he is simply because he's a better footballer. Nothing personal, JPK is simply a machine.

There are very few people involved in footy who the public enjoy taking the piss out of more than Nathan Buckley. If he's winning a poll like this, I think there's a very good explanation as to who is better. It's nothing against the person, Danger is lovely, but Buckley was unbelievably good. He had one of the best kicks of all time, many people will tell you that. He single handed-ly carried an average Collingwood team to successive grand finals. If 2003 Nathan Buckley played for Collingwood in 2016, winning the premiership would have been a massive possibility. Very few players if any at all have had the ability to make such an impact on a team as Buckley did at Collingwood - he was tough and classy, kicked goals, got ball and used it well.

Are you seriously trying to say Geelong/Dangerfield are more despised than Buckley/Collingwood? Come on, man.

And just quietly, Kennedy is as far ahead of Selwood as he is simply because he's a better footballer. Nothing personal, JPK is simply a machine.
Yet the most often heard misconception around here revolves around the 'no Dangerfield, no Geelong' tag. And no, I quite like Buckley, both as a player and as a coach so It isn't me taking the piss out of anyone. As I said I rate players of Danger's ilk more highly, nothing personal nothing against Buckley, I simply rate Dangerfield as being in a league of his own.

Also, I rate Selwood well ahead of Kennedy both in achievement and performance. Before Dangerfield arrived Selwood single-handedly not only carried the Geelong midfield but the Geelong side, all while carrying a knee injury. He also had little to no help from a midfield that didn't have the depth that Sydney have. Selwood is also a better user of the ball... I wonder if the same people that voted Buckley in this poll after being critical of Dangerfields disposal are the same voting for Kennedy in similar polls.

This isn't really the thread to be debating Kennedy v Selwood though, tag me in the relevant thread and we'll continue it there if you like.

As an aside I respect your opinion all the same.

I get what you're saying, Danger could (IMO) win a Coleman if played as a fwd, and his power and line breaking ability is as good as I've seen, very different types but for me Danger is the more gifted.

If Danger was up against Rhys Mathieson he would lose on this Polls Board FMD

It is very close in my opinion. I think Buckley was better but only on the basis he played in an era which was a lot more brutal for star players. Buckley was the sole engine room for his team for many, many years before he received elite help at the back end of his career.
His kicking skills were superior to many of his peers. Slotted the bulk of his 280 goals from outside fifty.
Could play in a variety of different positions.

Absolute champion of the game.
Daicos and Buckley, they don't come much better than those two.

Both are guns but I reckon Buckley. Danger is a bit more bash and crash and as a result I reckon he might have played hurt a bit more and this might effect his overall rating. In terms of disposal Bucks hands down but who wins in a pack I reckon Danger.

I picked Buckley because of his disposal. Danger can play a lot more inside, but his kicking on the run is far, far inferior
Buckley could kick a 60m goal, or pinpoint team mates regularly. It's a fundamental skill of the game

It is in no way on Buckley that Collingwood didn't win a flag in his time with the club as a player. Without Buckley, they would have struggled to reach anywhere near what they did

I really didn’t like Dangerfield but he’s won a premiership now.

Hard to talk bad about him at the moment so I’ll wait till he’s commentating with the likes of Jack Riewoldt before bagging him.
Who cares if he won a flag or not, absolute superstar, you can’t be serious that you’ve changed your tune in the last two months

Buckley is one of the best players I’ve personally seen and could just be the best if I’m collating a full list.

Probably only just behind Ablett Jr. and on par with Judd.

Dangerfield was comfortably the best player in the league in 2016, just behind Dusty in 2017 but really not sure where I’d rank him overall. Maybe in the best 15-20 on the same tier as Simon Black and Mark Riccuito.

Back