Toast Patrick Lipinski - the 1000th Bulldog!

Remove this Banner Ad

From memory he was always a mid as a junior. I remember thinking he was very Bont like judging from his highlight package. Not quick but just finds time and space with ease.

Pushed into midfield in the second half of his draft year. Insane numbers in that back half of the year where he dominated. Iirc correctly it was over 30 touches with all other cats filled up. Cant remember exact numbers but they were bloody impressive.

Pushed into midfield in the second half of his draft year. Insane numbers in that back half of the year where he dominated. Iirc correctly it was over 30 touches with all other cats filled up. Cant remember exact numbers but they were bloody impressive.

Pretty sure it was the mid point of the season when he was killing it, then he got injured. He had 35 possessions in one game I was at from memory.

For a young goal sneak forward some of his hard nut mid field involvements have surprised me.

Obviously a good kick at goal with a nous to be in the right spot but appears to have a little more than that developing.

I am going to have to look harder, to date I have not seen this side to his game.

From memory he was always a mid as a junior. I remember thinking he was very Bont like judging from his highlight package. Not quick but just finds time and space with ease.

Nothing wrong with being a good half forward who can take a mid field rotation.

He has shown some positive attributes but has a long way to go as a forward (as I see him).

Positive: appears to be a reliable set shot at goal; good crumbing goal sneak skills. Very clean hands, does not fumble.

Long way to go: number of possessions needs to increase, the 1%er side of the game (Dickson, e.g., has been a great chaser and tackler), marking target (noting that he managed his first contested forward mark against the Lions).
What's acceptable and what's good for a forward in terms of possessions? I'd say 15 is acceptable especially if averaging 2 goals a game, and 20 or more is very good.

Different for a midfielder.

He's going very nicely for a 5 game 19 yo.

He's looked good playing further up the ground. Still a touch slow sometimes, but very clean and making good decisions. He's definitely the kind of player you just keep playing even if he has a bit of a down week. The experience is so valuable for him.
Played really well tonight.

I still have some issues with this kid but he started to prove my wrong tonight.

My concern is his ability to find his own footy but playing as he did tonight in getting to the right spots and being given the ball he was very good.

Did handball to ground ALOT but thats a small negative on a good night for him

I still have some issues with this kid but he started to prove my wrong tonight.

My concern is his ability to find his own footy but playing as he did tonight in getting to the right spots and being given the ball he was very good.

Did handball to ground ALOT but thats a small negative on a good night for him
I wish he had a bit more speed. But looks like he’ll be a handy player.

I wish he had a bit more speed. But looks like he’ll be a handy player.
I thought he looked slow a few times, but he does everything else really well. Good user of the ball, very very good hands in close.

Seems a classic footballer > athlete type. Once the novelty wears off I wouldn't be surprised if he's a bit like Gia - plays forward and mid, and gets judged a little more harshly than he should, has good skills and can find the goals from congestion.

I thought he looked slow a few times, but he does everything else really well. Good user of the ball, very very good hands in close.

Seems a classic footballer > athlete type. Once the novelty wears off I wouldn't be surprised if he's a bit like Gia - plays forward and mid, and gets judged a little more harshly than he should, has good skills and can find the goals from congestion.
I said the exact same thing about Bailey Williams, Mofra, too slow, seems planted when he gets it, making decisions after the receive not before it. Give him a bit of time to realise he needs to be quicker on the trigger and on the mind, VFL pace is too slow. When he gets it, and he will, is going to be a solid player at the very least.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One touch every time. Can’t teach that. Bartel like.
Yeah I like Lipi for that reason and his skill in general - by foot and by hand. May not be the quickest bloke but reputedly has a tank.
I've got him similar to Schache in that they just need a bit more time to build some strength and consolidate their tanks then we have two very good players. Right wing is his spot IMO.

I said the exact same thing about Bailey Williams, Mofra, too slow, seems planted when he gets it, making decisions after the receive not before it. Give him a bit of time to realise he needs to be quicker on the trigger and on the mind, VFL pace is too slow. When he gets it, and he will, is going to be a solid player at the very least.
Williams is quick, I don't really think they're comparable, Lippi came in playing in front of the ball which is a tougher gig in modern football than playing in defence so he clearly has the smarts. I do like that Bailey has made the transition into the midfield, has a really good sidestep.

Williams is quick, I don't really think they're comparable, Lippi came in playing in front of the ball which is a tougher gig in modern football than playing in defence so he clearly has the smarts. I do like that Bailey has made the transition into the midfield, has a really good sidestep.
Oh I was just comparing them in terms of being that bit too slow and being caught during the game. Lippi kept getting nabbed flat footed with the ball trying to play adhoc after the receive, same as Williams was in his first few games. Williams figured it our pretty quickly and i reckon Lippi will too.

I love that these young fellas we are bringing through have that composure to be too slow. The panic hack kick is what i have come to expect from sub 20 gamers.

Career best game to date last night.

11 kicks (career high)
11 handballs
22 disposals (career high) @ 86%
10 marks (career high)
6 tackles
1 goal
4 inside 50 entries

We need more of the sort of inside 50 entries that Lipinski can deliver, low and direct, in preference to the up-and-under jobs that some of our other regulars have been dishing up.

In many ways he's a bit of a McLean clone, without those shaky legs.
I think he's a little slower than McLean and not quite as flashy, a couple of pre-seasons and he'll have a harder edge which is a good thing to have in someone who has a big tank.

Hmmmm... slow footspeed, not overly flashy but surprisingly good by hand, excellent endurance... Crossy?
Less inside ability but superior kick. Really impressed with what he's done this year.

I think he's a little slower than McLean and not quite as flashy, a couple of pre-seasons and he'll have a harder edge which is a good thing to have in someone who has a big tank.

Hmmmm... slow footspeed, not overly flashy but surprisingly good by hand, excellent endurance... Crossy?
Less inside ability but superior kick. Really impressed with what he's done this year.
Yeah, I'm probably focusing too much on the similarity in their development (beginning as a crafty forward before spending more time in the middle), which is something we may see more and more of from new players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back