Traded Patrick Lipinski traded to Collingwood for Pick #43

5minutes_of_Dew

Debutant
Oct 15, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Pick 55 or better for Max Lynch gets us back there (if it came to that).

Hawks will trade Ceglar and probably get a late 30's/early 40's pick for him factoring in the 50% salary coverage.

Then the Hawks take that pick and they slide some picks around with the pies for Lynch with the late 30's/early 40's + Hawthorn's 59 & 65 potentially to upgrade points for the pies and the hawks are unlikely to need pick 59/65 once all the trading is done and dusted due to list spots.

Sep 28, 2006
QLD
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
LA Lakers,NE Patriots,Liverpool FC
Key thing here is that the Doggie's list issues are not ours to solve - as you said sometime ago, it's 58, end of story. I'm not certain that the Pies want to go to the draft with 7 spots free, I'd prefer to keep say, Lynch and not use use Pick 58.
Forgot about Lynch. Retaining him, which I hope we do, impacts list spots/draft picks.

Patrick Lipinski
The Pies started negotiations with the Bulldogs by offering pick 58 for Lipinski and then upped that offer to two picks in the 50s. But the Dogs have been hoping for better for the 23-year-old, with the Pies exploring other pick swaps with Richmond and the Dogs also looking at their options. The clubs are likely to find a trade that works to avoid seeing Lipinski go through the pre-season draft. – Callum Twomey

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
After all the pointless posturing in this thread, who would have thought the clubs would get it resolved like grown adults? Good result for both clubs. Dogs don't get shafted, Pies get a relative bargain, Lipinski gets midfield time. Everybody wins

Crazy Tails

Premiership Player
Nov 30, 2006
Collingwood Heartland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Is there any other teams?
Wright folded. Thought we could have done much better.

How did he fold? Dogs wanted 36, we wanted to give a pick in the 50s. It fell somewhere in between. Sounds like negotiation to me.

I'm not unhappy with picking up a guy who will walk into our best 22 for a 3rd round pick.

We don't need to be asses and walk him to the PSD or drag it out until the death just because we (as supporters) feel like the Dogs took advantage of our predicament last off season.

5minutes_of_Dew

Debutant
Oct 15, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Wright did what needed to be done and got a fair trade.

He did it for a decade at Hawthorn and looks like he's true to form at the pies, just be content that you've got someone in the role who knows what they're doing and not some potato like Dodoro.

Think we have about 2200 now. 200 short of a pick 1 bid, which if were to carry the defecit would probably move our firsf rounder back 1 or 2 picks next year. Ofc still room to move.

I don’t think North will bid.

Crazy Tails

Premiership Player
Nov 30, 2006
Collingwood Heartland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Is there any other teams?
Think we have about 2200 now. 200 short of a pick 1 bid, which if were to carry the defecit would probably move our firsf rounder back 1 or 2 picks next year. Ofc still room to move.

Pick 55 or better for Max Lynch gets us back there (if it came to that).

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United

The odds of The Dogs getting a player as good/better better Lipinski at that pick in the draft is a 1000-1 shot.
Glad the deal was done fairly cleanly without going into the PSD

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
43 is about the lowest pick I’d be happy to take without feeling like we’ve been ripped off. He’ll play 100 games games for Collingwood no worries and a reasonable chance for 150. Good pick up
Agree but in this draft I think worth quite a bit more draft collateral than 43.

Oct 16, 2003
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Folded? You got a decent young player for a nothing pick (Lipinski is far more likely to 'make it' than the draft options that would be available - aclnowledging that you would have used it for points anyway). You don't need to screw over the other club for it to be a good deal. This is a good result for Collingwood and demonstrates Wright has lost none of his professionalism.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Folded? You got a decent young player for a nothing pick (Lipinski is far more likely to 'make it' than the draft options that would be available - aclnowledging that you would have used it for points anyway). You don't need to screw over the other club for it to be a good deal. This is a good result for Collingwood and demonstrates Wright has lost none of his professionalism.
Of course he hasn’t. He is a Collingwood premiership player. Glad to see he didn’t lose that class whilst at Waverley :p

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Agree but in this draft I think worth quite a bit more draft collateral than 43.

Not so much in The Doggies case, they needed to get points for Darcy so they don't go into deficit next season.

They still have an enviable amount of mid field depth on their list, and for what their obvious needs for their current flag window (quality young Key defender(s) and another key forward to help Naughton in light of Bruce's absence next year) they are very unlikely to find those at that range in the draft.

Due to the Covid pandemic, this draft simply doesn't bat very deeply.

Back