Traded Patrick Lipinski traded to Collingwood for Pick #43

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 55 or better for Max Lynch gets us back there (if it came to that).

Hawks will trade Ceglar and probably get a late 30's/early 40's pick for him factoring in the 50% salary coverage.

Then the Hawks take that pick and they slide some picks around with the pies for Lynch with the late 30's/early 40's + Hawthorn's 59 & 65 potentially to upgrade points for the pies and the hawks are unlikely to need pick 59/65 once all the trading is done and dusted due to list spots.

The odds of The Dogs getting a player as good/better better Lipinski at that pick in the draft is a 1000-1 shot.
Glad the deal was done fairly cleanly without going into the PSD
Bailey Dale was pick 45
Caleb Daniel was pick 46
Bailey Williams was pick 48
We have done great drafting and developing players with picks in the 40s

Hawks will trade Ceglar and probably get a late 30's/early 40's pick for him factoring in the 50% salary coverage.

Then the Hawks take that pick and they slide some picks around with the pies for Lynch with the late 30's/early 40's + Hawthorn's 59 & 65 potentially to upgrade points for the pies and the hawks are unlikely to need pick 59/65 once all the trading is done and dusted due to list spots.
Not sure the Pies won't need 59/65 either!

The odds of The Dogs getting a player as good/better better Lipinski at that pick in the draft is a 1000-1 shot.
Glad the deal was done fairly cleanly without going into the PSD

Strong chance that we never even see pick 43 used by the Dogs. It's all about points.

That aside, it's good to know we've got three 1000-1 shots on the list at the moment.
-Bailey Dale (AA) pick 45
-Caleb Daniel (AA) pick 46
-Bailey Williams pick 48

Happy with 43 for a nice kick who goes missing if there's a bit of heat on the footy. Quick hands through traffic, but pretty meek without the ball.

Key thing here is that the Doggie's list issues are not ours to solve - as you said sometime ago, it's 58, end of story. I'm not certain that the Pies want to go to the draft with 7 spots free, I'd prefer to keep say, Lynch and not use use Pick 58.
Are you sure you read the right story?

Are you sure you read the right story?
The story ends when we get to the PSD and see who is selected at Pick 2 - that may justify paying a little more for Lippa so they have that option free. That said, I believe that GW plays the long game, no sense burning a relationship over a couple of hundred draft points. The key thing is that Lippa gets to a team where he'll have more opportunity to grow and develop and the Pies get a player they need.

The 2nd mistake Wright has made this trade period. Trading our future 2nd the other, but Collingwood supporters seem to have a new messiah, who can do no wrong. Doing better than Ned Guy didn't take much.

Not about screwing WBD, but he had more leverage to get a better deal that didn't involve using the PSD.

Fair deal for both sides. Hopefully Macrae backs in Lippa for an extended midfield run.

Having 43 now opens up opportunities to trade pick 23 as well.

The 2nd mistake Wright has made this trade period. Trading our future 2nd the other, but Collingwood supporters seem to have a new messiah, who can do no wrong. Doing better than Ned Guy didn't take much.

Not about screwing WBD, but he had more leverage to get a better deal that didn't involve using the PSD.
Agree, as I mentioned earlier, it all now depends on who the Pies get at Pick 2 in the PSD - no sense quibbling over 200 points if they have someone of value targeted for Pick 2.

I don't understand why the Pies won't use Pick 2 in the PSD - won't that depend on who's available?
Its for players who are offered a contract from their club and don't accept it but their clubs don't trade them. For example there was 1 player taken in it last year. 2 players the year before. Its not really used much.

If they don't use the PSD, then, on the face of it, I would have hoped that they had let the Lipinski trade run for a little longer - or settle for a pick in the 50's

It's already a good deal, though. You got a young player that you lured from the Dogs who they wanted to keep for a pick that has very little value. Every chance he slots straight in to your 22 and plays 100-150 games. For picks in the 40's and later, that would happen approximately 2% of the time.

Whilst I know it doesn't mean much, the vast majority on here agree it was a good trade for Collingwood and on the AFL website's survey of "who won the trade", 90% say Collingwood. What did you want him for? For free? Because haggling from a late draft pick to a very late draft pick serves almost no purpose and damages trading relationships and perceptions about clubs willingness and ability to get players across that they target (perceptions from players in the future I mean).

Given the vast majority disagree with you, surely you can see you are either underrating Lipinski or overrating pick 43.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair outcome for both sides and Lipinski a useful pickup for Pies with our list unbalanced as it is. I dont think he is certain best 22, his game numbers at the Dogs has declined each season for the last 4 so its not just this season where he couldnt command a spot. Still much better chance at the Pies than Dogs. For pick 43 thats fair, no guarantees on players at that level.

Folded? You got a decent young player for a nothing pick (Lipinski is far more likely to 'make it' than the draft options that would be available - aclnowledging that you would have used it for points anyway). You don't need to screw over the other club for it to be a good deal. This is a good result for Collingwood and demonstrates Wright has lost none of his professionalism.

I agree, can't complain about getting Lipinski for that.

I really think the Pies might have stolen one.

I just think there was not enough lateral thinking at the Bulldogs to give Lipinski more of a go.

Lipinski may not be a world beater but he is better than many clubs bottom six players I think

Fair outcome for both sides and Lipinski a useful pickup for Pies with our list unbalanced as it is. I dont think he is certain best 22, his game numbers at the Dogs has declined each season for the last 4 so its not just this season where he couldnt command a spot. Still much better chance at the Pies than Dogs. For pick 43 thats fair, no guarantees on players at that level.
You can’t use his raw numbers at all without context. 2020 for a reduced game time season and his numbers for 2021 include 2 games as sub where he didn’t get on and 2 games where he was the activated sub.

You can’t use his raw numbers at all without context. 2020 for a reduced game time season and his numbers for 2021 include 2 games as sub where he didn’t get on and 2 games where he was the activated sub.
I was referring to number of games per season. He got 1 game in season 1, 17 season 2, 14 season 3, 13 season 4 and 9 season 5.

Just a concern that he has not established a spot in 5 season and season 2 was his best total. He will play for us and we would hope be permanent best 22 but solid citizen journeyman is probably what we are looking at.Don’t think he will be a star or anything.

I was referring to number of games per season. He got 1 game in season 1, 17 season 2, 14 season 3, 13 season 4 and 9 season 5.

Just a concern that he has not established a spot in 5 season and season 2 was his best total. He will play for us and we would hope be permanent best 22 but solid citizen journeyman is probably what we are looking at.Don’t think he will be a star or anything.
Season 3 he broke into the side half way through the year and was quite superb in the 14 games he played. Season 4 was the reduced season so his % of games played increased from 2019. He had an interrupted start to 2020 with a concussion but other than that was only dropped once towards the end of the season before returning for the 2020 elimination final.

He was trending upwards every season until 2021. The reality is that he's a better footballer than a bunch of guys that we preferred to play due to their characteristics rather than actual ability. Given our accumulating midfield, we preferred low possession high pressure players (Vandermeer, Hannan, JJ etc.) in our forward half despite Pat being a better pure footballer. I have no doubts he'll be best 22 at Pies for a very long time.

Doggies have a bloody good midfield, it's not surprising he couldn't break into it at a young age.

Season 3 he broke into the side half way through the year and was quite superb in the 14 games he played. Season 4 was the reduced season so his % of games played increased from 2019. He had an interrupted start to 2020 with a concussion but other than that was only dropped once towards the end of the season before returning for the 2020 elimination final.

He was trending upwards every season until 2021. The reality is that he's a better footballer than a bunch of guys that we preferred to play due to their characteristics rather than actual ability. Given our accumulating midfield, we preferred low possession high pressure players (Vandermeer, Hannan, JJ etc.) in our forward half despite Pat being a better pure footballer. I have no doubts he'll be best 22 at Pies for a very long time.

This is probably the best summary I have seen in regards to Lipinski.

I agree, can't complain about getting Lipinski for that.

I really think the Pies might have stolen one.

I just think there was not enough lateral thinking at the Bulldogs to give Lipinski more of a go.

Lipinski may not be a world beater but he is better than many clubs bottom six players I think
I think it’s more Lippa wanting midfield minutes and not much else. He has shown he can be real good when given those minutes but he is 7th-8th on the depth chart and his papers were stamped when he could get a game with both Treloar and Dunkley out.

It’s a shame as I thought his future lied as a half forward flanker, he was kicking goals early in his career and he can finish, but alas he doesn’t have the speed to play that small forward role.

He’ll be fine for the Pies and I don’t see us regretting it one bit.

I think it’s more Lippa wanting midfield minutes and not much else. He has shown he can be real good when given those minutes but he is 7th-8th on the depth chart and his papers were stamped when he could get a game with both Treloar and Dunkley out.

It’s a shame as I thought his future lied as a half forward flanker, he was kicking goals early in his career and he can finish, but alas he doesn’t have the speed to play that small forward role.

He’ll be fine for the Pies and I don’t see us regretting it one bit.
Where do you see as his best position?

Im struggling to find a case of him playing inside mid even with how little depth we have there.

Probably learning towards playing him as our HB/designated kick out of defensive 50.

We have seen other players with average pace succeed in this role - Ziebell, Rich, Hurn, Dawson, Burton.

And with the exception of Ziebell, all of the rest are great kicks, which is what Lipinski is as well

Any reason why he wasn’t tried at half back? Was it just because he saw himself as a midfielder?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back