Traded Patrick Lipinski traded to Collingwood for Pick #43

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 55 or better for Max Lynch gets us back there (if it came to that).

Hawks will trade Ceglar and probably get a late 30's/early 40's pick for him factoring in the 50% salary coverage.

Then the Hawks take that pick and they slide some picks around with the pies for Lynch with the late 30's/early 40's + Hawthorn's 59 & 65 potentially to upgrade points for the pies and the hawks are unlikely to need pick 59/65 once all the trading is done and dusted due to list spots.

Hope we keep him, One of the smoothest users of the pill on the team after bont.

Would get a lot more respect for how good he is at another club.

So how come he has been the medical sub twice and dropped also this year?

So how come he has been the medical sub twice and dropped also this year?
Because on the wings, we prefer pace in Smith and Treloar, with Hunter (our best two way runner) the other option.

In the guts, these were the centre bounce attendance stats last week:

Centre Bounce Attendance
24 - Macrae
19 - Bontempelli
16 - Sweet
15 - Liberatore
14 - Dunkley
12 - Treloar
6 - English
6 - Young

Treloar is there for his pace when not on the wing. He's then competing with two of the best mids in the game (Macrae and Bont), or he's competing with two contested beats (Libba and Dunkley). Lipinski has been a victim of our depth so far this year. When he's in, he's forced to play high half forward - a role he's good at but not necessarily demanding his selection. He'd be held in far higher regard elsewhere if he could actually demonstrate his ability in a full time midfield role

He is way too good to be playing VFL. Oozes class.

Don't know why Beveridge is so keen to play trash like Anthony Scott over Lipinski.

35 disposals, 6 marks, 4 tackles and a goal.

He is way too good to be playing VFL. Life long Dogs fan but should really be exploring his options at the rate things are going

35 disposals, 6 marks, 4 tackles and a goal.

He is way too good to be playing VFL. Life long Dogs fan but should really be exploring his options at the rate things are going
Adelaide were very keen in his draft year but Dalrymple slipped in earlier than they anticipated.

Unlikely to leave, especially given he's a Dogs fan. Only thing working against us is he sits right on the fringe as the 23rd player. He's been named emergency 2 or 3 times this year, and was even emergency last week until a late change. Despite not missing a game, a few of them have been either coming in late off the emergency list, or coming on as medical sub. It's unlikely that this will change given the players who are ahead of him, unless someone else is traded out or someone like Libba retired early / did another knee.

I'd hope all of our players are Dogs fans...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here. Do you think that some of our players secretly barrack for other sides? If I worked at a club in some capacity then I would absolutely barrack for them.
No I was kidding after you nitpicked my wording. I meant he was a Dogs fan before being drafted, which would ideally mean more loyalty. West Coast have successfully retained players on unders for years due to regularly drafting fans of the club. Dom Sheed was an Eagles fan when drafted, and he just extended on $450k per year despite entering his prime as one of the in-form mids of the competition

No I was kidding after you nitpicked my wording. I meant he was a Dogs fan before being drafted, which would ideally mean more loyalty. West Coast have successfully retained players on unders for years due to regularly drafting fans of the club. Dom Sheed was an Eagles fan when drafted, and he just extended on $450k per year despite entering his prime as one of the in-form mids of the competition

I have to push back on this a bit mate. I think we both know that $450k a year would be close to the market rate for Sheed. But your point still stands without the Sheed example.

It's one of those intangibles that people can only speculate on how much it really counts for. I'm of the opinion that the team you barrack for as a kid isn't going to have much say in most people's career choices in an extremely cut-throat industry. But it clearly does have some influence for some players if the decision is somewhat close. For Lipinski I think moving to a club in which he is a guaranteed starting midfielder could mean an extra million dollars in his bank account by the end of his career. Does who you barracked for as a kid carry enough weight for someone to give up a million bucks?

I have to push back on this a bit mate. I think we both know that $450k a year would be close to the market rate for Sheed. But your point still stands without the Sheed example.

It's one of those intangibles that people can only speculate on how much it really counts for. I'm of the opinion that the team you barrack for as a kid isn't going to have much say in most people's career choices in an extremely cut-throat industry. But it clearly does have some influence for some players if the decision is somewhat close. For Lipinski I think moving to a club in which he is a guaranteed starting midfielder could mean an extra million dollars in his bank account by the end of his career. Does who you barracked for as a kid carry enough weight for someone to give up a million bucks?
I think Sheed is much closer to a $600k per year player, especially if the Crouch brothers are anything to go by. He's no star but he's a very good B grade player (assuming the likes of Shuey and Kelly at his own team are A graders). But doesn't matter.

It's subjective to say how much the club you supported as a kid influences how easily you're retained, so all we can do is speculate. I'd imagine so long as he's sitting right on the edge of our 22 (i.e medical sub or last chosen player), he may stick around in the hope he breaks through, which is the assumption I was running with when I wrote that comment. However, if the Round 6 teams are any indication of how the rest of the season will play out, Lipinski may be stuck playing VFL for some portion of the year. In that case, I don't think any pre-existing allegiance to the Dogs will matter, and he may end up exploring his options at year end. No player wants to spend their career as depth, so I agree with your last point

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back