Player Watch Patrick Lipinski

Remove this Banner Ad

collingwood.jpg

Pat Lipinski

The former Western Bulldogs midfielder was one of October's big bargains, rejecting a three-year offer to remain at the Whitten Oval and costing Collingwood only pick No.43 in a trade. Tempted by the lure of more midfield time at the Pies, now Lipinski must prove he can surpass veterans like Scott Pendlebury, Taylor Adams and Steele Sidebottom to earn his spot. The hard-running onballer started just nine games last year, but has the potential to become a first-class player under the watchful eye of new coach Craig McRae. With a big summer on the track, expect to see Lipinski emerge as one of the 2022 season's breakout players. - Riley Beveridge

jc37

All Australian
Jan 4, 2007
London
AFL Club
Collingwood
The way the trade went with Bulldogs in 2020 they effectively got Treloar for nothing. I view Lipinski as the trade for Treloar. Henry for Stephenson, Poulter as our 2020 2nd rounder and Macrae our 1st rounder. Mcinness as this years 2nd rounder. Daicos as our 1st rounder. The bonus being McMahon and pick 50 tomorrow. Lynch for Krueger. We should have done better in hindsight but if Lipinski turns into a quality AFL player that 2020 mishap may become a win.

^I don't think he needs to surpass Adams, Pendles or Steele in 2022. They can all rotate through the middle.

I'm hoping Adams and JDG are our two first choice, with the kids, Lipinski, Sidey and Pendles rotating through. Would love it if Daicos is good enough to be a first choice straight away - like Judd and Selwood were, but extremely wishful.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm hoping Adams and JDG are our two first choice, with the kids, Lipinski, Sidey and Pendles rotating through. Would love it if Daicos is good enough to be a first choice straight away - like Judd and Selwood were, but extremely wishful.
Regarding Nick - even acknowledging the talent two severely compromised junior seasons leading up to the draft have very likely taken the edge off so it wouldn't surprise to see him eased in after the first bye.

Horaceg

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Collingwood
I know you are referring to Nick but don’t write off our other Daicos, I believe he has a big future in the midfield make up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Liverpool
I tend to agree. I think that Josh will step up now that little brother is in the team. I can see a real synergy between them on field.
A good pre-season will work wonders for Josh. Last year he had that quiet back surgery which (in my opinion) seemed to really impact his fitness going into 2021. Took him a while to work up to midfield fitness.

Mollythedolly

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 21, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
I know you are referring to Nick but don’t write off our other Daicos, I believe he has a big future in the midfield make up.

Like to see JD moved back to a wing, think that’s his spot. Of course, it may just be that his compromised preseason hampered his move into the guts and we’re yet to see him at his best. Time will tell.

Like to see JD moved back to a wing, think that’s his spot. Of course, it may just be that his compromised preseason hampered his move into the guts and we’re yet to see him at his best. Time will tell.
I agree. His 2020 campaign told us all we need to know about his ability and potential. He may be a later developer than some others, but he’s good now and going to get a lot better yet.

Can someone remind me again why we think Lipinski is a good get? I'm not getting the vibe. He left the Dogs...because the midfield was hard to break into?

Sorry Jen2310, I know you're keen on him.

I'm more excited about our own Macrae and desperate to see how McInnes goes in our evolving 2022 midfield. And then of course there's ND. But otherwise I'm feeling a bit meh about Lippa.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back