Player Watch Patrick Parnell - Contract Extension To End of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it just me but Paddy looks like a player who could be good on the wing or HFF?

Thoughts...

Two year contract extension
Good on you Patty. Will be very interested in watching how this kid progresses with a few more years in the Gym.

Although TBH I haven't really noticed the lack of size on the field as much as I thought you would.

Good on you Patty. Will be very interested in watching how this kid progresses with a few more years in the Gym.

Although TBH I haven't really noticed the lack of size on the field as much as I thought you would.
He is a good and generally accurate kick. He can hit a target. We need more people like him

Another player making his mark which is great.

As others have said, a nice kick and makes good decisions most of the time which is refreshing

Were they though?

I certainly don't remember them being slammed for taking Parnell. If anything, I remember people being pleased that we used the mid-season draft to target a project player rather than taking some mature-age stopgap.

Now if Brett Turner becomes a quality AFL player on the other hand...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Go have a look at Parnell's average stats for the year in comparison with Jones & Hamill. I'm not joking he's likely gone ahead of both in the pecking order in terms of being a small rebounding defender.

Jones was looking after Browns usual role as a lockdown small defender, and he's probably not ready to go there just yet.

Still has plenty to work on, in particular his man-marking and contested side, but gee we need a few more like him when it comes to his clean kicking and attacking mentality.

He's getting a solid 200-300m gained and just wants to take the game on, I love it.

He is pretty good offensively, but in terms of actual defending, am yet to see anything to suggest he is a Brown replacement.

Worth having on our list though.

People forget how great and reliable Brown was in locking down on small forwards prior to age and injury catching up on him.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Go have a look at Parnell's average stats for the year in comparison with Jones & Hamill. I'm not joking he's likely gone ahead of both in the pecking order in terms of being a small rebounding defender.

Jones was looking after Browns usual role as a lockdown small defender, and he's probably not ready to go there just yet.

Still has plenty to work on, in particular his man-marking and contested side, but gee we need a few more like him when it comes to his clean kicking and attacking mentality.

He's getting a solid 200-300m gained and just wants to take the game on, I love it.
Like Dawson, rarely just "kicks" the ball. Always looks to "pass" the ball.
So much to look forward to with our Paddy over the next ten years.

He is pretty good offensively, but in terms of actual defending, am yet to see anything to suggest he is a Brown replacement.
Worth having on our list though.

People forget how great and reliable Brown was in locking down on small forwards prior to age and injury catching up on him.

Not sure he’s as much of a Brown replacement as he is a Smith replacement, long-term

I like the re-signing, gives him a couple more years to develop as a rebounding defender (possibly even a wing). Still a ways to go though, probably need to bring in another rebounder for healthy competition as Smith’s successor

Happy we're adding some footskills to our side. Seems to be reasonably quick. Hopefully his lack of size doesn't hold him back.
No, don't think like that. He appears to be a natural footballer first and foremost. Can he get better at defending at AFL level - absolutely but as a natural footballer, you literally cannot have enough of them regardless of size. I would rather we have less possessions per game if it meant when we get them we don't kick it back to the other team

Good stuff. Reminds me of a young Jayden Short. Hopefully turns out as good.

Not sure he’s as much of a Brown replacement as he is a Smith replacement, long-term

I like the re-signing, gives him a couple more years to develop as a rebounding defender (possibly even a wing). Still a ways to go though, probably need to bring in another rebounder for healthy competition as Smith’s successor
I would like to see him up the ground a bit.

There is a bit of Caleb Daniel there.

No, don't think like that. He appears to be a natural footballer first and foremost. Can he get better at defending at AFL level - absolutely but as a natural footballer, you literally cannot have enough of them regardless of size. I would rather we have less possessions per game if it meant when we get them we don't kick it back to the other team
Very true, his size means he may never be a good one on one defender, but there will always be a place in footy for players who are clean below their knees, have a quick first 10 metres and use the ball well. Just gotta find the right role for him.

Tbh I think he may be wasted in defence at the moment, with our current midfield god knows we could use a bit more precision going inside 50.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back