Player Watch Patrick Parnell - Contract Extension To End of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Tuppence!

Hopefully becomes a better player than the last Patrick to play for us.

Edit: and the one before that.

He’s already a better kick

In a draft stocked with forwards and rucks, we go with a skinny defender. Such an Adelaide move.

What isn't an Adelaide move is going for a player who is quick and got a good leg.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yup, and he certainly had that.

We'll see if Parnell has the intangibles Atkins lacked which ended up capping him as an ok role player.
I don't know much about him. I would have gone with Callow, but they may have thought we have too many forwards. I don't think you can have too many of them, and alot of the best back were initially forwards.

I don't know much about him. I would have gone with Callow, but they may have thought we have too many forwards. I don't think you can have too many of them, and alot of the best back were initially forwards.

Me neither, all I really know is from afl draft central write ups. They're really glowing of Patrick at least.

Quite possible, though it wasn't too far away from Callow sliding through the MSD. Just seems like a prospect who's decently well known, but recruiters have been cold on for the most part, for whatever reason. Hawks aren't the worst club either to end up for his long term prospects either, so potential for egg on face there.

I'm pretty happy with this selection. There was heaps of talk about Vic kids who missed the draft who would put their hand up this year, looks like we got one.

- only 19
- above average kicking skills
- speed
- great decision maker
- hardness
- attacking play maker

Feels like we just got early, free access to a kid we would have liked in the national draft.

No I realise know very little about Patrick but just don't understand it why picked another small slight player when already over loaded with .
Also seemed like a good year with last season Vic COVID no games to have a free shot at some real prospects , so don't know why only 1 pick .

Every club in the league passed on Callow in the 2020 National and Rookie Drafts (his form was already well established in under 18s footy), and then again tonight in the first round of the 2021 mid-season draft, despite his rather dominant recent SANFL form. There is clearly a view that his skillset won’t translate to AFL level.

It will be interesting to see if Callow makes it, but the consensus among most experts is that he’ll likely be switched to defense at the top level. Did we really need another tall defender? I’d suggest not. We already have McAsey, Borlase and Worrell who can’t get a look-in even with Talia out for the season and Hartigan gone.

Parnell has elite footskills, something we are certainly lacking. If you take Smith, Seedsman, Walker, Sholl and Fogarty out of the equation, the majority of the remaining 40 odd players on our list are flat out hitting the side of a house by foot to be honest (yes, there’s a few exceptions, but not too many, it’s a genuine weakness).

Personally, on a needs basis, I would have liked to have selected a ruckman (O’Brien isn’t exactly the second coming, and the backups are all list-clogging trash) and Moyle stood out for me as the pick, after Hawthorn somewhat surprisingly passed on him.

But the club publicly stated they went for best available rather than addressing a specific need, and Parnell certainly looks to have the attributes required to make it at AFL level so I’m into it. Elite ball user, strong runner, can rack up disposals, clearly suits our “fast ball movement” game plan, what’s not to like? Very happy with this pick.

Looks a bit short to me. Plays similar to Ned McHenry but up the other end. Hamish really loves shorter blokes doesn't he. Good kick, hopefully he works out.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back