Traded Patrick Ryder traded to Port for picks 17 and 37

Remove this Banner Ad

Knees are questionable to say the least.
Not a fan of him hanging out with lake so publicly after gf.
I think 37 would have been decent in the draft.
Players cant celebrate with best of mates after success?

Went through the most rigorous testing.

Pick 37 for him i question because i thought we could potentially nab a decent player. However i can see why they have gone down this path. By the time we have Merrett, Heppell, Pick 17/20/37 and Daniher at their absolute best after losing a few stars we wont be able to beat GWS/GC who hold 22 of these players, not 6.

No you're right but he stated that he wanted essendon to get fair compensation. We did not in my opinion.
Gws would have provided this.
4 would've been overs, and before you say someone was willing to pay it..remember they have another 2 top 10 picks so the value of that pick is less for GWS compared to most of the other AFL clubs.

You got fair compensation IMO due to the reasons he wanted to leave and what that meant the environment would be for the trade. Nobody to blame other than your club.

Essendon let the Ryder family down.
Paddy Ryder let essendon down as we didn't get the best deal possible for him.
Port clearly won this trade.
Essendon took a massive risk with cooney which I don't agree with.
Hopefully someway down the track we will target a port player when we eventually have our shite together.
They are the facts as far as I am concerned.
Gambling with pick 37 is not a massive risk.

Firstly Port fans thought 35 was all they needed to land him. Wrong.

Then after the manager and coach speaking they followed like sheep and thought 17 was enough. Wrong.

Clearly the list manager sees us with a window and i reckon Hirdy is gonna chase one and hope he strikes before the GWS/GC clan and say FU to everyone here is the flag.

Would be so nice if it happened.

Port are doing the same, North are doing the same. Geelong are doing the same.

These clubs need to try and pinch a flag before GWS/GC obliterate the competition not far away. Maybe even Brisbane and WBD could be apart of it aswell if they develop.
this will never happen

this will never happen
Yeh im not sure it will either, but it seems to be all the clubs thinking.

They beleive Hawks/Sydney/Freo will fall away in the next year or two (ie still good but not premiership material). So by the end of 2015/2016.

I think GC 2017/GWS 2018 will be the time these clubs really start to hit the competition and dominate. It might even be a year earlier.

Who can win that 2015/2016 flag in between these times is how clubs are sort of thinking it seems.

I think Port are huge chances to sneak one or 2 in this 2015/2016 window. I still think Port will be good after that, just that GC will also be bloody good and GWS not far behind.

Einstein I wrote essendon were mostly to blame.
Honestly if you cannot follow a thread stick to crayons pal.

4 would've been overs, and before you say someone was willing to pay it..remember they have another 2 top 10 picks so the value of that pick is less for GWS compared to most of the other AFL clubs.

You got fair compensation IMO due to the reasons he wanted to leave and what that meant the environment would be for the trade. Nobody to blame other than your club.

The reports here were that it was bullshit.
Also they want players not poly filler.
Crikey, that is seriously underestimating opposition players just because one has no idea about them.
They are both walk up starts in Richmond's current team and both a fair way short of their final potential that they will get to.
For mine Essendon made a mistake in not asking for one or both of them.

We were the doomed the moment Ryder said he only want's to go to Port Doddoro was dealt a s**t sandwich not much more he could of done.
But I mean.. who wouldn't choose Port though... especially over the "plastic" GWS side or COLA Swans?

You haven't done that bad from this trade period, the AFL website video show thingy even admitted it, Cooney is still pretty good.

Who cares. What the hell do we need a draft pick for this year anyway.
Exactly, it's a win/win deal for both us (Port) and Essendon, as we don't need the draft pics and they do (as they got stripped of picks from the ASADA stuff)... so it worked out pretty good for both of us.... one mans trash is another mans treasure as they say

Crikey, that is seriously underestimating opposition players just because one has no idea about them.
They are both walk up starts in Richmond's current team and both a fair way short of their final potential that they will get to.
For mine Essendon made a mistake in not asking for one or both of them.
Got nothing to do with Richmond.
I couldn't care less either about the players. Essendon didn't rate them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dodoro confirmed on radio this afternoon that GWS offered pick 4. It happened.
Very surprising, but if true I take it back. :thumbsu:

Dodoro confirmed on radio this afternoon that GWS offered pick 4. It happened.

If that's true GWS are total and utter morons. Had they offered pick 7 and Paddy was willing to move, Essendon would've jumped at it. There was no need at all for them to offer 4 instead of 7. I refuse to believe that a person paid probably hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to manage an AFL list at the elite level would be stupid enough to make that mistake. I'd want to at least hear it from the GWS camp before I believed it.

If that's true GWS are total and utter morons. Had they offered pick 7 and Paddy was willing to move, Essendon would've jumped at it. There was no need at all for them to offer 4 instead of 7. I refuse to believe that a person paid probably hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to manage an AFL list at the elite level would be stupid enough to make that mistake. I'd want to at least hear it from the GWS camp before I believed it.
Cripps said a few clubs came sniffing around late but Connors & Paddy were solid on Port couldn't be budged, Pretty sure it was on the AA Interview.

Cripps said a few clubs came sniffing around late but Connors & Paddy were solid on Port couldn't be budged, Pretty sure it was on the AA Interview.

I'm not saying I don't believe that GWS made an advance, I just don't believe that they would've offered pick 4 rather than pick 7. That would make no sense whatsoever from their perspective.

I'm not saying I don't believe that GWS made an advance, I just don't believe that they would've offered pick 4 rather than pick 7. That would make no sense whatsoever from their perspective.
I'm pretty sure Dodoro said Pick 4 was offered on Trade Radio but then he also said they would have won a GT hearing :rolleyes:.... 3 top 10 picks it's possible they offered it i guess.

And its not Ryder's responsibility to honour a contract he signed?!?
This will probably be my last post on the subject but I've been finding it staggering how many if not most Essendon supporters around these parts either cannot or refuse to see the great big effalump.

Exactly, it's a win/win deal for both us (Port) and Essendon, as we don't need the draft pics and they do (as they got stripped of picks from the ASADA stuff)... so it worked out pretty good for both of us.... one mans trash is another mans treasure as they say
Its disappointing we didn't actually dig in like Collingwood. Particularly when they can do it and get respect for being good operators, and we don't and get labelled hard to deal with.

Paddy wanted out (yes, he had a preference, but so did we in terms of returns, 2 way street). There should have been discussions about plan's B & C if Port couldn't stump up what we wanted in return, i.e. GWS or another non-Vic destination.

Pick 4, 22 (they got from the Dees for Frost), Giles for Ryder and the pick we gave them Giles
22 goes to the Dogs for Cooney.

We land in the same place, but with pick 4 (Most likely Wright - who solves a need) instead of 17.

We sold ourselves short for a playing wanting out.
The Dogs & Pies didn't.
Its a win/compromise for us.

Im not overly fazed, but it would be nice if we stopped falling over ourselves in this saga as if it has any bearing on the outcome.

I think the pick 4 story is poop.
As someone mentioned GWS also has pick 7 and if they had offered that to Essendon it would have done the trick.
Why would they offer pick 4 if pick 7 would have been jumped at?

If it looks like poop and smells like poop, then chances are it is poop.

Its disappointing we didn't actually dig in like Collingwood. Particularly when they can do it and get respect for being good operators, and we don't and get labelled hard to deal with.

This was one journalists description of how Essendon operated:
ESSENDON remains the most difficult club around the trade table. While Port Adelaide kept running into road blocks at Windy Hill on the Paddy Ryder deal, another AFL club tried two trades with the Bombers. As soon as the paperwork needed to be signed, Essendon would say: “We no longer agree ... it now looks like this and this ...
My question is, given pretty much every media outlet, The Age/Herald Sun, SEN etc all seem to have the same opinion. Do you think they are all making it up, or do you think Essendon do truely play hardball. Sometimes its the deals that don't get done that have as much impact on how a club is perceived as the ones that do.

Paddy wanted out (yes, he had a preference, but so did we in terms of returns, 2 way street). There should have been discussions about plan's B & C if Port couldn't stump up what we wanted in return, i.e. GWS or another non-Vic destination.

Pick 4, 22 (they got from the Dees for Frost), Giles for Ryder and the pick we gave them Giles
22 goes to the Dogs for Cooney.

We land in the same place, but with pick 4 (Most likely Wright - who solves a need) instead of 17.

We sold ourselves short for a playing wanting out.
The Dogs & Pies didn't.
Do you not think there's a difference between the leverage the dogs/pies had versus what you had. Given the situation Essendon did as well as they could have. If it wasn't for other issues hanging over you're head Essendon could have sat back and told Port to up there offer to something close to GWS, or he was staying at Essendon - but even Dorodo said he was pretty sure Ryder was going to go to the grievance tribunal, and even though he said he had advice Essendon was going to win (Essendon seem to get a lot of bad advice re court cases of late) there was a sufficient chance they wouldn't for them to not be able to stand as firm as the other two clubs. Basically Essendon was dealing with Ryder as if he was out of contract because there was a chance he could walk for nothing - the others clubs didn't have that possibility.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back