Traded Patrick Ryder traded to Port for picks 17 and 37

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
If that's true GWS are total and utter morons. Had they offered pick 7 and Paddy was willing to move, Essendon would've jumped at it. There was no need at all for them to offer 4 instead of 7. I refuse to believe that a person paid probably hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to manage an AFL list at the elite level would be stupid enough to make that mistake. I'd want to at least hear it from the GWS camp before I believed it.

Lol

Jun 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
So it's been revealed GWS went on a late tear, offering up high picks for stars from various clubs as trade deadline drew close. Dodoro revealed that GWS most definitely offered 4 for Ryder.

Do Port supporters saying Essendon supporters were delusional for thinking 4 was offered, or that you'd have to be an idiot to believe GWS offered such a high pick for Ryder, or that it was just pure Essendon spin want to apologise?

Paddy is no doubt a great bloke off-field for the most part, but the way he and his manager handled this whole situation was pathetic. Enjoy Port Paddy, thanks for getting us that fair offer you said you wanted for us.

marky53

Club Legend
Apr 2, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Pretty pissed if true that 4 was on the table.

Especially worse that Ryder said he wanted a fair deal for the club

WintersPort

Debutant
Oct 4, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Its disappointing we didn't actually dig in like Collingwood. Particularly when they can do it and get respect for being good operators, and we don't and get labelled hard to deal with.

Paddy wanted out (yes, he had a preference, but so did we in terms of returns, 2 way street). There should have been discussions about plan's B & C if Port couldn't stump up what we wanted in return, i.e. GWS or another non-Vic destination.

Pick 4, 22 (they got from the Dees for Frost), Giles for Ryder and the pick we gave them Giles
22 goes to the Dogs for Cooney.

We land in the same place, but with pick 4 (Most likely Wright - who solves a need) instead of 17.

We sold ourselves short for a playing wanting out.
The Dogs & Pies didn't.
Its a win/compromise for us.

Im not overly fazed, but it would be nice if we stopped falling over ourselves in this saga as if it has any bearing on the outcome.

Plan B was Paddy taking it to the panel, there was no plan c

foj1

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2005
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
essendon
I insulted you because your post deserved it pal.
Oh you must long for the days when your club could achieve success using brown paper bags.
Those in glass houses............

Honestly if you cannot refrain from childish insults then stick to playing in the sandbox with yourself pal....

Otherwise I was saying essendon were completely to blame and apportioning any blame on the value you got for him on Ryder was unfair. However like much of the saga there is always a little to blame on someone else I guess.

foj1

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2005
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
essendon
I agree this thread is getting old.
Port won essence on lost.
I wish paddy all the best although he said he wanted to get out of the footy fishbowl and chose Adelaide over gws! I do believe he and his family have been adversely affected by the saga.

QUOTE="*PAF, post: 35766783, member: 16041"]This will probably be my last post on the subject but I've been finding it staggering how many if not most Essendon supporters around these parts either cannot or refuse to see the great big effalump.[/QUOTE]

Big_Luch

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I insulted you because your post deserved it pal.
Oh you must long for the days when your club could achieve success using brown paper bags.
Those in glass houses............
how did i deserve it? because you didnt like my opinion. Top posting pal.

and yes glass houses...thanks for reminding me of 91 to 96 and the breaches relating to those years.

foj1

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2005
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
essendon
Mate you clearly are trying to stir essen don supporters. I admitted our club was wrong and you still stupidly tried to use the asada stuff once more.
That's why you deserved it.
Read my post and I clearly stated essendon were at fault. 91-96 was because we didn't declare routing when a heap of other clubs took advantage of amnesty. 2001-2003 because you clearly cheated.

and yes glass houses...thanks for reminding me of 91 to 96 and the breaches relating to those years.

There's a lot of those bombers making strafing runs, pity they forgot to load up with ammo.

Back to Paddy, clearly we have done very well, but it did cost us the opportunity to also get Gorringe, which is annoying

ZingerB

Club Legend
Sep 7, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
My last post is more a prediction than anything else.

Joe Daniher and Jake Carlisle will be close to unstoppable by seasons end.

Carlisle kicked 27 goals in 19 games this year. I don't understand why people assume he is automatically a star when he has only played 2 good games in a row. I suspect he will be good next year, but remember that guys like Lynch (Crows), Lecras and others have kicked huge bags before as a once off. Hell even John Butcher kicked 6 straight once and I am often concerned he is going to miss the ball landing on his foot. You desperately need to find at least 1 small forward for games in the wet + when you talls have an off night.

Wargreymon90

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ryder saying he wants fair compensation for essendon does NOT equate to him saying he is willing to be traded anywhere.

He is a human being and has every right to chose where his workplace will be. Yes, a top 10 pick from gws was a mighty tease, but at no stage was he willing to go there.

He selected port, and port have it's two first rounders which is more then what essendon deserve

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
Hes not that good, remember?
Unlike many Crows fans I'm not that way inclined. Paddy is very good and will offer a lot - as long as he isn't suspended. It was a risk, but I'm sure Port did their due diligence and investigated the likely outcomes. On the whole the combination of his own input as a forward, plus the flexibility he offers for Westhoff and Trengrove, Rider offers a LOT more than just his own ability.

Astro Bomber

Club Legend
Mar 27, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Unlike many Crows fans I'm not that way inclined. Paddy is very good and will offer a lot - as long as he isn't suspended. It was a risk, but I'm sure Port did their due diligence and investigated the likely outcomes. On the whole the combination of his own input as a forward, plus the flexibility he offers for Westhoff and Trengrove, Rider offers a LOT more than just his own ability.
So they should have offered Essendon a lot more if they had done there "due diligence"

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
So they should have offered Essendon a lot more if they had done there "due diligence"
Actually no. I think Ports offer of their first 2 picks was fair.
Ryder is worth more, but he was walking out on Essendon regardless. If Port wanted to be real pricks they could have offered little to nothing and forced the issue through the courts. Thankfully they didn't and Essendon finally accepted what really was a reasonable deal.

*PAF

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Port Adelaide - Nathan Krakouer Player Sponsor 2015 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Feb 17, 2005
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yeah nah.
Sure we nearly got up against Hawthorn but that doesn't mean we would have beaten the Swans in the GF had we made it, no matter how much Hawthorn beat them by.

This thread went downhill fast.

As a disinterested party who's had the misfortune of reading it as it unfolded, it went downhill about 195 pages ago or more.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
As a disinterested party who's had the misfortune of reading it as it unfolded, it went downhill about 195 pages ago or more.

This is a great thread - I would have thought with Brisbane in the frame to get him early you would have been really interested in this thread. You got your gun in Beams but Ryder would have been a soild get.

Conor Mckenna

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I just read this Ryder thread, you were saying we would be lucky to get a second round pick for Ryder at first...

Lot of people in here look like my avatar,

Now we got first and second rounder for him and having pick 4 offered by GWS,

Some of you have a habit of forgetting what you write, because it's getting embarrassing watching you do backflips...

Anyway, your opinion is clearly yours, not your clubs, you do look quite envious.

Many times I have seen posters from North and Port say why the hell would anyone want to go to Essendon, with long rants, well guess what..It's time for a reality check...

Port wanted to keep 37 for Gorringe, well guess what, Paddy didn't go to court and it was worth the wait, he did have a contract and we stood our ground and didn't get shafted as many here said we would...some people here have no idea how to do business..

North offered pick 36 and Harper for Cooney, wanted him bad,

We offered 37,

Cooney decided he wanted the chance to play for a BIG club in front of BIG crowds,

He decided he wanted to train at the best facilities in the land,

Then he had a chat to Hirdy and it was a done deal,

This whole trade deal was so yummy, the fact that North wanted him and outbid us,

there is not enough egg some people around here could apply to their own faces..

Last year we had to cop the offer of 26 as CramDog Crameri was out of contract, we got Zach Merrett,
This year we pinch brownlow Medallist Coondog for a pick we won at a poker match, well played EFC...

This year, the first offer was #17, then we negotiated and got a pick that enabled us to get Cooney, a player your club offered more for, your tears are yummy..

0205660568.jpg

Would you also like to re-write the above?

I just read this Ryder thread, you were saying we would be lucky to get a second round pick for Ryder at first...

Some of you have a habit of forgetting what you write, because it's getting embarrassing watching you do backflips...

Anyway, your opinion is clearly yours, not your clubs, you do look quite envious.

Many times I have seen posters from North and Port say why the hell would anyone want to go to Essendon, with long rants, well guess what..It's time for a reality check...

Port wanted to keep 37 for Gorringe, well guess what, Paddy didn't go to court and it was worth the wait, he did have a contract and we stood our ground and didn't get shafted as many here said we would...some people here have no idea how to do business..

We offered 37,

Cooney decided he wanted the chance to play for a BIG club in front of BIG crowds,

This whole trade deal was so yummy, the fact that North wanted him and outbid us,

there is not enough egg some people around here could apply to their own faces..

Last year we had to cop the offer of 26 as CramDog Crameri was out of contract, we got Zach Merrett,
This year we pinch brownlow Medallist Coondog for a pick we won at a poker match, well played EFC...

This year, the first offer was #17, then we negotiated and got a pick that enabled us to get Cooney, a player your club offered more for, your tears are yummy..
First of all, please stop hitting the enter key so often. Secondly, did you read a single thing that Dodoro and the EFC said throughout the entire trade period? We offerred 17 + 37 a long time before you accepted it, meanwhile you were making all sorts of claims about Hartlett, Impey, Wines, Wingard etc. You didn't get what you wanted for Ryder, and maybe you should run that theory past the Essendon board. Thirdly, whilst you're happy to be receiving Cooney, I hope you enjoy the 2 years he has left with the constant threat of his dodgy knees hanging over him.

Well done on your win over North for Cooney :thumbsu:

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs

We offered 37,

Hang on.

You're claiming victory in a trade where you got 17 and 37 after being offered pick 4 and a week of demanding the likes of Wingard, Wines and Hartlett?

You're claiming you didn't get shafted despite at least one prominent member of the Essendon board being so furious with your club's folding on the trade that he stated he wouldn't be renewing his family membership? After your supporters spent two weeks claiming that two first rounders would be the minimum we'd need to get the deal done.

Do you really think losing your best ruckman and a top 5 player (or so I was told repeatedly during trade week) was worth a pick in the late teens and a 29 year old midfielder with questionable knees?

You'll get a kid who probably wont be a massive contributor for several years, and a guy who probably has a year or two left of passable football before his body gives out on him. The Cooney trade indicates you guys think you're in the hunt over the next couple of years. Taking pick 17 and not on-trading it indicates you probably don't.

I don't think you lost the trade by as much as some of the reactions of your board. In fact I think you made the best of a bad situation. But to say you won the trade is one of the stranger things i've heard on bigfooty.

I love your positive outlook on life.

Back