Patrick Ryder vs Lance Franklin

Remove this Banner Ad

i'm so confused as to how people have come to rate johns as a top line AFL goalkicker... there's been so little evidence!

Thats becasue people still want to rate him on his first 4 games in 2005 when he couldnt get a touch or the 10 games last year which where a bit of a learning curve. What you have to remember with him is in 2005 he had no pre season and wasnt allowed to run until April . He had no fitness at all. Last year was his first real crack at playing footy for 2 1/2 years and that was interupted with some injuries that cost him half the year as well.It does take a while to come back from an injury which leves you unable torun , play or train at all.
Yes he was way over hyped to start with but you have to be fair and look at all the circumstances that came afterwards. He still has to prove himself but he has shown some good signs. I would have thought supporters of a club that has had a similar player in Boyle could relate to the battle he has had.

hahaha, hahaha, hahaha, ha. Johns will lift Birchall up, place him gently on his arse, turn around and calmly take a mark. I'd love to see that match up. Johns could even beat Fanning's 18 goals in a game with that match up.

Courtney Johns is a similar player to Timmy boyle... both have yet to prove themselves in the big league.

glimses of their potential have been apparent but still - it doesn't warrent putting your 2nd or 3rd best backman on them.

Birchall will make Johns accountable going the other way - at least make him work up the ground a fair bit.

i'd take john's 2 goals if birchall can get 20 possessions and 5-6 rebound 50's. :thumbsu:

i'm so confused as to how people have come to rate johns as a top line AFL goalkicker... there's been so little evidence!

I dont rate him - but if you're going to play Birchall on him, thats a fair mismatch, and we'll push lloyd and lucas up the ground and he'll play one out with little Davey hanging around the packs to ensure Birch doesn'r run off him easily....

He'll kick 6 if you clowns wanna stand Birchall on him....and lloyd and Lucas will both take 10 marks leading up the wing to pump it into him....

I dont rate him - but if you're going to play Birchall on him, thats a fair mismatch, and we'll push lloyd and lucas up the ground and he'll play one out with little Davey hanging around the packs to ensure Birch doesn'r run off him easily....

He'll kick 6 if you clowns wanna stand Birchall on him....and lloyd and Lucas will both take 10 marks leading up the wing to pump it into him....

LOL and what makes you think Hawthorn wouldn't then play a loose man in defense?

Things are not as easy as what you make them out to be

Remember when we thought Keps vs Buddy was going to be a matchup for years to come ? I think Keps took the points in their first matchup too. How things have changed...

John's is actually one of the quickest off the mark in the Essendon team. He wouldn't have the motor Birchell does, but would kill him in the one-on-one contest.

While his stats aren't stella, they're competitive. Consider last week, where John's played just over a half of football.

Johns: 6 possessions, 2 goals
Lloyd: 12 possessions, 3 goals

Had he played the full game, a 4 goal return is what you'd expect from a full-forward.

no merv, big scott knows all... he's obviously thought of everything... :rolleyes:

All I'm saying is if Birchall plays on Johns (and personally, FWIW I dont see a spot in our team for Johns) it would be logical to move for a one out scenario as Johns on the lead and in the air has it all over Birchall.

Hawks will have a loose man regardless of who's on who....doesn't mean he'll chop off all leads!

John's is actually one of the quickest off the mark in the Essendon team. He wouldn't have the motor Birchell does, but would kill him in the one-on-one contest.

While his stats aren't stella, they're competitive. Consider last week, where John's played just over a half of football.

Johns: 6 possessions, 2 goals
Lloyd: 12 possessions, 3 goals

Had he played the full game, a 4 goal return is what you'd expect from a full-forward.

and the 2 goals he kicked were apsolute rippers, both under pressure situations in the match, one from the boundry and the other from about 55 metres out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back