Pattinson suspended for first test.

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Oh wow, the same people in the Liam Ryan thread saying that it is no big deal are also in this thread saying that using a homophobic slur is no bid deal.

What a surprise!
well I for one understand it is delicate but it is also a bit of a slam dunk.. can't win but can't dig a hole for myself either..

toml

Club Legend
Nov 4, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Well then Smith should've been suspended also then for chucking a tantrum when he got dismissed considering he has priors. Does anyone know what he said or has that been swept under the rug never to see the light of day.

Going to assume you didn't actually see the Smith incident if you consider what he did "chucking a tantrum". Stood there a bit long after being given out but there wasn't a lot in it.

May 22, 2014
Punt Rd to Goodison Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
Going to assume you didn't actually see the Smith incident if you consider what he did "chucking a tantrum". Stood there a bit long after being given out but there wasn't a lot in it.
Saw it on foxsports news, selective editing i guess for the part i saw, so a 25% fine for being pissed off you got out, FMD. :rolleyes: CA have seriously lost the plot with these over reactions just because they want to be seen as doing something.

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
smitty ain't quo wadis himself so he just learnt to ride the buttons.. gem of the orient/// champ

Oh wow, the same people in the Liam Ryan thread saying that it is no big deal are also in this thread saying that using a homophobic slur is no bid deal.

What a surprise!

He'll learn from it but lets not blow it up more than it is. He'll be back in the squad for the second test.

Drunkcat

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 31, 2018
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
Well then Smith should've been suspended also then for chucking a tantrum when he got dismissed considering he has priors. Does anyone know what he said or has that been swept under the rug never to see the light of day.
And this is why I don't want Smith as our captain he does a tantrum every now and again

Elite Finger Twirler

Elite Finger Twirler Medal winner 2019
May 30, 2018
Witness history folks
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Women's sports, The PIG
Penalties as severe as a life ban for on-field slurs related to sexuality may soon be added to a broader and tougher Cricket Australia anti-discrimination code as the Test batsman Matthew Wade admitted he has needed to significantly "tame" his verbal tendencies on the field in the face of changing times and steeper standards of player behaviour.

Life bans? Seriously?

Insanity.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Saw it on foxsports news, selective editing i guess for the part i saw, so a 25% fine for being pissed off you got out, FMD. :rolleyes: CA have seriously lost the plot with these over reactions just because they want to be seen as doing something.

Yep, we need to be very careful what we wish for. Test cricket is a very competitive cauldron and every now and then something will slip out on the spur of the moment that in refection the player would wish he never said. Quick bowlers in particular have to fire up. There's no place in cricket for a friendly quick bowler. In the case of Pattinson, if he'd been done before 3 times for homophobic slurs then he needs to just reign it in a little, but I have no problem with the odd dummy spit so long as it doesn't reach Kyrgios levels. We don't need to sanitise Test cricket to the degree that everyone out there is trying to be a good bloke.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong

The wicketkeeper from the Hobart Hurricanes women's team just got banned for 12 months for making a joke on social media about her low batting position. The crime, releasing details of the team before it was officially submitted.

You know all those illegal bookmakers out there could use the information nefariously.........please.........it's women's bbl.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Tough gig being a fast bowler these days, have to bowl on roads a majority of the time. Can't sledge, can't intimidate the batsman.
Maybe a bowling machine might be what the future holds? Maybe the bowlers should have to start clapping when the batsman scores off them.
The world has gone nuts.

Tough gig being a fast bowler these days, have to bowl on roads a majority of the time. Can't sledge, can't intimidate the batsman.
Maybe a bowling machine might be what the future holds? Maybe the bowlers should have to start clapping when the batsman scores off them.
The world has gone nuts.

You can still sledge without using homophobic slurs, Pattinson needs to learn that

The bare minimum response from Cricket Australia if they're going to start painting the fielding circle in rainbow colours. And to Pattinson's credit, it sounds like his first response wasn't to run off and complain to his lawyers.

We don't need to sanitise Test cricket to the degree that everyone out there is trying to be a good bloke.
What an awful world that would be, where people play cricket to express positive personality traits.

The world has gone nuts.
Probably even harder being a fast bowler who is made to feel like dogshit by the inconsiderate actions of selfish teammates.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
You can still sledge without using homophobic slurs, Pattinson needs to learn that

times have moved on I get that but pretty much everything is off limits, I was a quick bowler who played high level cricket and I reckon pretty much everything we said would be off limits now in case you offend the batsman.
you are not even allowed to give them a stare now ffs.
It is what it is I guess, bloody happy I played in the era I played in. None of this big brother crap going on then.

Nov 8, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

What a surprise!
Damn right what was said to Liam Ryan was scummy.

Some people like to put things in perspective though. Like how you, your club and most of the country get angrier at what some moronic barely teenager writes online than when a footballer gets drunk and violent toward their partner.

But of course that topic can be a little uncomfortable so we can all feel good instead directing disproportionate anger to things like this.

Elite Finger Twirler

Elite Finger Twirler Medal winner 2019
May 30, 2018
Witness history folks
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Women's sports, The PIG
The bare minimum response from Cricket Australia if they're going to start painting the fielding circle in rainbow colours. And to Pattinson's credit, it sounds like his first response wasn't to run off and complain to his lawyers.
Nothing to do with the merit of the punishment, more to do with protecting his public image and his possibilities of future Australian selection.

The punishment didn't fit the crime but as they say these days this isn't the hill Pattinson is going to die on.

Shouldn't be using slur like f** on the field or anywhere else but comparing it to the N word? Please.
Only response I'll give to this, but given both groups have been targeted, labelled and killed for something out of their control, I don't think it's a ridiculous comparison. If your point is that the word itself doesn't carry the same level of connotation, then fair enough.

Back