Patty K recruitment advice

Remove this Banner Ad

Squizz89

Club Legend
Feb 1, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Well this is random I must admit as we haven't heard from Patty K since he left the pies.

I find it interesting that he says it's so s**t up here basically but he by memory he was more than happy to stay and sign that extra 3rd year originally which would've raised his original salary.

But who knew a simple fix to our retention issues was simply asking 'do you have a problem coming here?'.

Brisbane must change way to retain stars, says ex-Lion Patrick Karnezis
LIAM PHILLIPS, Herald Sun
23 minutes ago

A MEMBER of the Brisbane “Go Home Five” says Lions recruiters need to ask a basic pre-draft question: do you really want to come to Queensland?

Brisbane has consistently struggled to retain young stars, including Patrick Karnezis, who left for Collingwood after three years as a Lion at the end of 2013.

“If they had sat me down and asked me, ‘Do you see your future at Brisbane’, I probably would have told them no,” Karnezis said.

“Professionally as an 18-year-old I would feel like I need to say yes, but deep down I didn’t want to leave home or live in Queensland.

“I wouldn’t say Brisbane is a hard place to be, but through resources or finances, whatever it is, it’s a tough situation if the club isn’t playing good football.”

Karnezis left with Eagle Elliot Yeo, Blue Sam Docherty, Saint Billy Longer, and Power’s Jared Polec. Magpie James Aish and Eagle Jack Redden left in 2015, but not to their home state.

Now Brisbane is wrestling with the future of young forward Josh Schache, who is on a two-week personal break at home in Seymour.

Karnezis, who retired in 2015, said the Lions did not acknowledge the true effect homesickness can have on a teenager who has moved across the country.

“They were going off the theory of Simon Black and Luke Power being homesick, and look what they became,” he said.

Karnezis said if the Lions had been more flexible, things would have been better.

“If they gave me the chance to go home for one or two days a month it definitely would have helped me adjust, refresh, and still feel connected to home and feel good about myself,” he said.

“These days being homesick requires an arm around the shoulder, feeling down needs to be spoken about.

“It’s not like 10 years ago where you’re classified as ‘soft’ for feeling down and struggling with your performance … to play and perform in football you have to worry about other things that factor in your life.”

89efe76f4c20e2083a55795d727d352a

Karnezis said from afar it appeared that Brisbane was improving in its work to make the club feel like home to all new players.

Of course, one thing above all else is likely to inspire kids to stay — winning.

“If your team is playing well, and you can slot into that team and can play good football, the whole dynamic just changes,” he said.

“When you’re playing well, and you’re a bit successful, you start to feel better about yourself.”

Last edited:

Just gonna snip two parts

“If they gave me the chance to go home for one or two days a month it definitely would have helped me adjust, refresh, and still feel connected to home and feel good about myself,” he said.

“These days being homesick requires an arm around the shoulder, feeling down needs to be spoken about.

“It’s not like 10 years ago where you’re classified as ‘soft’ for feeling down and struggling with your performance … to play and perform in football you have to worry about other things that factor in your life.”

“They were going off the theory of Simon Black and Luke Power being homesick, and look what they became,” he said.

Almost like pushing through adversity builds strength of character.

In fairness he's right. Draftees don't want to play AFL in Queensland. They want to be a part of clubs with good "brands" or stay near where they grew up. And the good draftees we do get we just can't expect these kids to do what Power & Black did anymore. And again, he's also right at the end. Winning would help a lot.

Journo's tone is s**t, but Karnezis' quotes are all pretty fair.

Considering he walked away from the game when he was playing at Collingwood, which I believe is located in Melbourne, I'm not sure how useful his comments are. It seems likely he wouldn't have been successful in the AFL regardless.

But then again it mostly comes down to this:

“If they had sat me down and asked me, ‘Do you see your future at Brisbane’, I probably would have told them no,” Karnezis said.

“Professionally as an 18-year-old I would feel like I need to say yes, but deep down I didn’t want to leave home or live in Queensland.

Don't sign up to be drafted then. Pretty simple.

F.. me. I really believe this kid passed his unhappiness onto others and have absolutely no time for him however ...

As much as I hate the fact he is being given any air time he at least is pointing out the obvious re difficulties of running afl out of Victoria

But he is still a flog who never made it and never would of even if he had been drafted to a vic club

A winning team can also be a big problem for players like Patty,you can't break into the team and get pissed for that reason..so many reasons..HARDEN UP GUYS ITS A NICE LIFE ANYWHERE IN AUSTRALIA ON BIG DOLLARS GET A *ing GRIP YOU ARE WAY OLD ENOUGH AT 18 TO UNDERSTAND

"Karnezis said if the Lions had been more flexible, things would have been better."

Better for who? In the end he wasn't good enough to have a career in the AFL and it didn't matter whether he was in Brisbane or Melbourne. This article is a load of retrospective crap and I enjoyed his brother's rant more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for the insight Patty :rolleyes:

For the record, I am originally from Geelong, Victoria, and love living in New Farm, Brisbane. All the rest of my family lives in Victoria and Tasmania but amazingly I am able to survive.

For journalists reading this, I am available for interview.

Oh right, problem solved guys, we just ASK 18 year old kids "Do you want to move away from your friends, family and where you've probably lived 90% of your life?" and when every single one says No, we recruit just QLD kids, so about 2-3 a season, and remain a bottom two side.

Thanks Patty K!

For the record, I am originally from Geelong, Victoria, and love living in New Farm, Brisbane. All the rest of my family lives in Victoria and Tasmania but amazingly I am able to survive.

For journalists reading this, I am available for interview.
Honestly this post doesn't add anything of value to the discussion. Why did you move up here? Did you have a choice and were there better options available to you? Or have you made the best of your circumstances?

As much as we would wish every kid who gets drafted to the Lions to like Brisbane, love the club, etc, act like a mature adult, it's just not going to happen and is unreasonable to expect it to.

There is seriously no sense in us ever asking any draftee whether they would prefer to stay at home than come to Queensland. One after the other, given the option, they will mostly just say no. The question is dumb.

What we can ask are questions around their resilience, adaptability, independence and confidence. Find out how they have dealt with a bit of adversity. How they handle situations on their own.

Homesickness is one thing, but plenty of kids travel across the world at 15 for two year cultural exchanges, even battle through a period of homesickness and then, after two years, dread going back home. To call homesickness the problem is to not making the person take responsibility for their own welfare and happiness.

I'm inclined to think, talent notwithstanding, the best footballers in the long run are going to be the ones who can cope with a bit of adversity. Patty K clearly wasn't such a person.

Oh right, problem solved guys, we just ASK 18 year old kids "Do you want to move away from your friends, family and where you've probably lived 90% of your life?" and when every single one says No, we recruit just QLD kids, so about 2-3 a season, and remain a bottom two side.

Thanks Patty K!
Though Patty has nfi is he actually helping our argument. he is telling Gillon (and everyone else) Brisbane is behind to start with, one of the reasons why Brisbane can't keep players is because they didn't want To go there in the first place. The league should therefore be helping Brisbane (and GC) to make us more attractive to draftees otherwise the draft fails.

On HTC 2PS6200 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Its the old Wingard situation. He told GWS: "Dont recruit me, Ill go home in 2 years". So we miss out on players rated as top 10 because they want to go home.
Agree and while it is one player every couple of years the AFl can ignore it. If we dozens are doing it then the AFL can't.

It's not new. Des Headland turned up to his draft interview with us in a freo shirt.

On HTC 2PS6200 using BigFooty.com mobile app

That's still better than the alternative.

Still leaves us in the same situation though. Not being a downer on QLD kids, but they dont always match up to ones in the tougher competitions down south. Our recruitment pool would literally be QLD, Tasmania and NT. Thats it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back