Recommitted Paul Ahern [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS need to make list spots available as drop back 2 spots to line up with the rest of the AFL. Most of the draftable Academy players fill a similar position to Ahern as well as a likely pick 3. I would not be surprised to see him go for a 2nd round. If he gets over his injury could prove to be a bargain. But its a weigh up risk/reward situation.
I never heard a whisper that North were interested in JOM. Likely from a source close to his preferred club or perhaps management in an effort to keep his draft pick 'cost' cheaper for the hawks - who knows?.

I have read this (JOM failing medical at North) about ten times on BigFooty yet am still none the wiser as to where this was reported?
Lots of people have sources at footy clubs. Some of them on our board have them too. A mate of mine in the media told me about it a few days before people on here started talking about it. Saunders has no confidence that JOM will make a full recovery and be fine long term.

WIth the number of picks GWS hold (or will hold over the next few years) and depth of midfield talent, it's easy to see them trading away Ahern for a very reasonable price given his injuries. No need to hang on to him and hope he rehabs into the player he might have been when you can just as easily replace his spot on the list with someone new and shiny that will fighth it out with the other 12 top-10 draft picks in the NEAFL.
What other top-10 picks are in the NEAFL? They've all gone to Carlton, Ahern is one of the last.

No, but at least it has been said outside of BigFooty

I think it was probably more Saunders reviewing x-rays etc rather than O'Meara actually traveling to the club. I also heard he was not 100% convinced in Jaeger's chances of a full recovery and we didn't think it was worth the potential cost, and this is from a good source outside of the usual media.

Either way it's fairly irrelevant now.

I think it was probably more Saunders reviewing x-rays etc rather than O'Meara actually traveling to the club. I also heard he was not 100% convinced in Jaeger's chances of a full recovery and we didn't think it was worth the potential cost, and this is from a good source outside of the usual media.

Either way it's fairly irrelevant now.

My overriding point is IF this was factually correct and proven, it would be a big news story. I recall Trengrove failing a medical at Richmond caused a ripple. JOM would be a Tsunami in comparison. Yet no media outlet has touched it. Hence some cynicism

North: Ahern, #15 + #60

GWS: #11

North take take 100% of Ahern's back ended contract and see him through his long rehab (wont play in 2017).

GWS get cap relief, clear a list spot + continue their first round upgrades.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From 7 to 50 in 2 years.

More like pick 25.

He's almost impossible to put a value on.

Former pick seven, highly rated prospect, still only 20. But two knees, GWS list is a bit different when it comes to prospects and former first rounders, and they need list spots.

Hard to see any club giving up 25 in a deep draft for him given he is still 12 months from even an AFL debut.

He's almost impossible to put a value on.

Former pick seven, highly rated prospect, still only 20. But two knees, GWS list is a bit different when it comes to prospects and former first rounders, and they need list spots.

Hard to see any club giving up 25 in a deep draft for him given he is still 12 months from even an AFL debut.
Yes very difficult.
Maybe something in the 30s

Yes very difficult.
Maybe something in the 30s

I would hope to get 40 back from the Dogs in any Hrovat deal, then offer that and potentially our 2017 third for him. Might just end up being a straight swap for 33 though.

Can't see that happening.

Aswell as WHE a high chance to end up at Collingwood
We are aiming to get them for that pick, it's up to us to convince one of the two.

Would be happy with Ahern for the Wells compensation pick. Not sure if that's enough, not knowing a lot about how GWS would value him, but it'd seem reasonable considering his talent (high) but injury history and GWS list management requirements (lowers his value)

Gws' 3 top 10 picks from 2014 all look like being out the door already

Ours will be to and what a shocker of a draft.

Could be the worst of all time and who knows what McCartin does with concussion factors clouding him already.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back