Opinion Paul Couch

Remove this Banner Ad

Is that based on whom had been honoured into the hall of fame or because he has passed away?

If it's got anything to do with the fact that he has passed away it's pretty poor form from Nakia but I think he meant it didn't matter that Couchy was over looked again

Is that based on whom had been honoured into the hall of fame or because he has passed away?
The former. Hall and Stevens has made a mockery of it.

What amuses me is how Gary Ablett isn't a legend
Or Stuart Trott in the hall of fame he was a very underrated footballer

Reckon the hall of fame needs to be revamped they need a idea of who were the legendary players not the good players

Last edited:

What amuses me is how Gary Ablett isn't a legend
Or Stuart Trott in the hall of fame he was a very underrated footballer
Who?

Can at least see some merit to Barry hall. Was a very good player and in his prime the best player in the AFL holding down a position at CHF. You don't see many players the best in the AFL holding down chf position, it is the most difficult position to play to that level.

But Stevens??? Nah... just no

Can at least see some merit to Barry hall. Was a very good player and in his prime the best player in the AFL holding down a position at CHF. You don't see many players the best in the AFL holding down chf position, it is the most difficult position to play to that level.

And Barry hall was one of the more violent players on the field in recent years so for me not a Legend or legend at all.

Hall of fame doesn't bother me. If you win a Brownlow, kick 400 career goals, play 200 games ex you probably should go straight in.

But legend is a whole different ball game. Blight? Are you kidding me?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wrong. It wasn't punishment. It was strategy.

Still remember the final quarter - 10.10. Ablett's performance in that quarter (and the whole game) was just out of this world.

I guess that's why he's a football legend.....oh...hang on....

I can't believe either of those players made it. You're right, it means nothing now, it's hardly a "hall of fame" at all.
Blight legend status??? I would of thought that would of been for say The top 10? Top 20?? players to ever play. Also a joke now too.
Same as the Brownlow after Judd won his 2nd. All these things mean SFA.

Not sure if you're old enough to remember Stuart Loewe. Far Far Far better player and CHF than Barry Hall.
He's not in it cause he didn't do media etc after footy. The whole thing has no credibility at all.

Anthony Stevens only ever made one all Australian team (on the bench) compared to Couchs two starting centre All Australian nods (would of certainly been three starting centre all Australians if they had all Australian in the year he won the Brownlow). Stevens was only good enough to be selected for the vic state team once (ironically Couch dominated that one game Stevens did play). Couchs stats are also vastly superior to Stevens. Couch also had more best and fairests then Stevens despite having to compete with another gun midfielder in Garry Hocking for them whereas Stevens had no such strong competition. Stevens not even in the same class. It is beyond a joke.

Although it must be noted that Couch isn't the only one being duded. Plenty from other teams. How the hell is Wayne Johnson not in the Hall of Fame?

Anthony Stevens only ever made one all Australian team (on the bench) compared to Couchs two starting centre All Australian nods (would of certainly been three starting centre all Australians if they had all Australian in the year he won the Brownlow). Stevens was only good enough to be selected for the vic state team once (ironically Couch dominated that one game Stevens did play). Couchs stats are also vastly superior to Stevens. Couch also had more best and fairests then Stevens despite having to compete with another gun midfielder in Garry Hocking for them whereas Stevens had no such strong competition. Stevens not even in the same class. It is beyond a joke.

Although it must be noted that Couch isn't the only one being duded. Plenty from other teams. How the hell is Wayne Johnson not in the Hall of Fame?
Bernie Naylor - East Fremantle.
194 games spanning 1941-1954 (including military service) for 1034 goals.

I can't believe either of those players made it. You're right, it means nothing now, it's hardly a "hall of fame" at all.
Blight legend status??? I would of thought that would of been for say The top 10? Top 20?? players to ever play. Also a joke now too.
Blight winning a couple of flags as a player, a Brownlow, a Coleman and coaching Adelaide to their first two flags is pretty legendary.

Stevens and Hall though. Very good players but I would argue against their respective inclusions. Loses meaning. Look, as much as I hate to say it, Anthony Stevens was tipped in for the story. He's a hard nut, got the 'Shinboner' spirit and he bounced back after Carey boinked his missus. Crude but the narrative usually goes a long way. Modra was a more memorable player than Hall as well, and Modra won't ever be Hall of Fame.

In saying that, full respect for Hall with his response to the Staker incident, 'I'm disgusted with it because he has to live through it now, not only me.' Stevens as well, his response to the Carey incident showed a lot of resilience and character.

Blighty is a legend for his total contribution to footy- excitement machine as a player, coach, media, he is the total package.

Blighty is a legend for his total contribution to footy- excitement machine as a player, coach, media, he is the total package.
Agree. Of all the decisions made this year Blight's is one of the least arguable imo. Stevens more so.
Alas Legends criteria was tweaked in 2010. Media is not considered.

AFL Commission Chairman Mike Fitzpatrick said the overwhelming view in all feedback was that the Hall of Fame should continue to recognise the most outstanding contributions to the game at any level.

“The criteria for elevating an inductee to Legend status requires that only ‘playing and coaching’ records be taken into account and not a candidate’s overall contribution to the game outside of playing and coaching,” Mr Fitzpatrick said.

“It remains the committee’s unanimous view that the category of Legend should be reserved for the greatest players and coaches. The AFL Commission today accepted that view.”

I thought legend would be like Gaz Snr, Coleman, Barassi, Mathews, Farmer.
Basically about 10 all up. The greatest ever.
I thought HOF would be for players like Blight, Hird, Goggin.
I didn't know what the criteria was for either though and didn't know players like Stevens or Hall could get in.

Blight gets a gig because he also excelled as a coach.

I thought legend would be like Gaz Snr, Coleman, Barassi, Mathews, Farmer.
Basically about 10 all up. The greatest ever.
I thought HOF would be for players like Blight, Hird, Goggin.
I didn't know what the criteria was for either though and didn't know players like Stevens or Hall could get in.
I'm with you. I wouldn't have minded another level within the Hof. Let's call it platinum for want of a better title.
Players like Stevens go into the Hof. Players like hird go into Hof platinum.
Players like Hayden bunton go into Hof legend.

Blight gets a gig because he also excelled as a coach.
Yeah I suppose. I dunno but. I thought legend would be those players that get talked about by generations to come.
Like I said before your Coleman, Farmer types. That is legendary to me anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back