Paul Curtis kicking in danger? Another rule forgotten?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 5, 2015
West of Woop Woop
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Marconi, Arsenal, GreenEdge
So...Paul Curtis kicks at the ball that Liam Jones is reaching out for, connects with Jones and breaks his forearm, play on?!? WTF??

Is this another forgotten rule? Like tripping?

Should have been a free kick. Talk of reports, suspensions etc (albeit driven by Mark Stevens) a bit ridiculous though.

Should have been a free kick. Talk of reports, suspensions etc (albeit driven by Mark Stevens) a bit ridiculous though.

Aren't unintentional acts like that suspended all the time? If you make careless/reckless contact? Kicking in danger is a rule because it might break someones arm. Umpire should be dropped for not paying it.

Curtis just needed to break his head & not his arm. AFL would have suspended him before qtr time.

You run the risk of suspension if the act is unreasonable in the circumstances and/or you know it to be reasonably likely to cause harm and you do it anyway. Not sure either of those would apply here.

Definitely a missed free kick though, although that wouldn't have changed the injury outcome.

50/50 call as to whether it should be a Kicking-in-danger free kick.

Definitely not a suspension. MRO got this one right.

Aren't unintentional acts like that suspended all the time? If you make careless/reckless contact? Kicking in danger is a rule because it might break someones arm. Umpire should be dropped for not paying it.

Curtis just needed to break his head & not his arm. AFL would have suspended him before qtr time.

Curtis just needed to carelessly kick 4 goals in the last 30 seconds of the game and we would have won.

He didn’t though.

50/50 call as to whether it should be a Kicking-in-danger free kick.

Definitely not a suspension. MRO got this one right.
How is it 50/50? His kick caused the injury. I was always taught that if a bloke was on the ground or reaching for the ball youd be pinged if you tried to kick it. Thats why I asked the question if the kicking in danger free had been forgotten. I agree it shouldnt have been a suspension or referral, I never suggested that in the opening comment.

What is it with the Bulldogs briefing the media against our BIPOC players?
Whats a BIPOC? indigenous? You do realise Jonesy is Indigenous I hope. Not sure how what Curtis did, clearly KiD, relates to whatever descriptor that is or if the dogs were "briefing" anybody in relation to that. Did the dogs even need to "brief" anyone? It was a clear KiD that even Kane Cornes would have seen.

Are you trying to make a victim out of Curtis somehow?

How is it 50/50? His kick caused the injury. I was always taught that if a bloke was on the ground or reaching for the ball youd be pinged if you tried to kick it. Thats why I asked the question if the kicking in danger free had been forgotten. I agree it shouldnt have been a suspension or referral, I never suggested that in the opening comment.

Jones wasn't on the ground. Both players were making at attempt at the ball. One with hands, one with feet.

1687306207227.png

I'm not saying Jones did anything wrong.
I'm simply saying that Curtis didn't do anything wrong either.
I wouldn't have been upset if a KiD free kick was paid, but I also don't believe not paying it was wrong. It's a line-ball decision, and in those instances I generally think it's a good thing if the umpires allow the play to continue.

Jones wasn't on the ground. Both players were making at attempt at the ball. One with hands, one with feet.

View attachment 1718029

I'm not saying Jones did anything wrong.
I'm simply saying that Curtis didn't do anything wrong either.
I wouldn't have been upset if a KiD free kick was paid, but I also don't believe not paying it was wrong. It's a line-ball decision, and in those instances I generally think it's a good thing if the umpires allow the play to continue.
"I was always taught that if a bloke was on the ground or reaching for the ball youd be pinged if you tried to kick it." is what I wrote. Thanks for the image proving my point. Thats a classic, definitive example of KiD. Curtis saw Jones reaching for it, kept kicking, should have changed his tactic to attempt to tackle. Didnt. Kicked Jones, should have been a free kick. 100% KiD - very poor umpiring.

Im not remotely suggesting its worth a suspension. But this incident is the very reason the rule exists, to protect the bloke reaching for the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whats a BIPOC? indigenous? You do realise Jonesy is Indigenous I hope. Not sure how what Curtis did, clearly KiD, relates to whatever descriptor that is or if the dogs were "briefing" anybody in relation to that. Did the dogs even need to "brief" anyone? It was a clear KiD that even Kane Cornes would have seen.

Are you trying to make a victim out of Curtis somehow?
It doesn't matter what Jones' background is, twice there has media s**t about our players, trying to get them suspended, from the Bulldogs camp or media sycophants. Once against LT once against Curtis who is Tongan. WTF is that about?

(And I agree with your original post btw. Should have been in danger but that rarely gets paid these days.)

Sounds like a bad fracture too.

Both bones and 10 weeks I'df ucky.

Everyone strap in for the predictable AFL knee jerk reaction and focus on kicking in danger the next two weeks.

Or them burying their head in the sand and hoping it doesnt happen again.

The MRO could have easily penalised Curtis for a clearly dangerous act which has been against the rules for decades. But chose not to.

It doesn't matter what Jones' background is, twice there has media s**t about our players, trying to get them suspended, from the Bulldogs camp or media sycophants. Once against LT once against Curtis who is Tongan. WTF is that about?

(And I agree with your original post btw. Should have been in danger but that rarely gets paid these days.)
I still dont kow what a BIPOC is....

BTW Id hardly call purple a Bulldogs sycphant lol. A high level of animus still exists with that twit whos pushing the MR for Curtis line again this morning.

I still dont kow what a BIPOC is....

Bulldogs supporter so no surprise there.

BTW Id hardly call purple a Bulldogs sycphant lol. A high level of animus still exists with that twit whos pushing the MR for Curtis line again this morning.

He was the last person to jump on that bandwagon. It was driven by Mark Stevens as well as Tom Morris trying to suck up to the Bevo mafia.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back