Paul Roos - not the messiah

Remove this Banner Ad

daniel_4tw

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Did we all buy into the Paul Roos hype thinking he was the man that could turn the Dees around? Was this unwarranted?

Was he overrated as a coach due to Swans success that was helped by the 9.8% COLA?

Alternatively, has the game passed him? After all, he's had several years out of the game and his one and only flag was 9 years ago. A lot has changed since then.

Further, is he even interested in coaching Melbourne or is he only in it for the cash? He has no interest in sticking around - will be there for 2, at max 3 years. But worst, during one of the most important pre-seasons for the club with a brand new coach - Roos takes a holiday.

Let's be honest - if Melbourne wanted to dish up 15 goal losses at home, they might as well kept Neeld (and saved $600k a year too).

in fairness he has inherited a mess ...... however it's going to be a long season if he plans to play a high possession game

wow. really. after two games? he's a football coach, not jesus.

After an entire preseason.

I'm not saying they should be pushing for the flag - but some improvement would be nice.

Mark Neeld's reputation has been ruined by this team, and many think he is a terrible, terrible coach.

If Paul Roos after an entire summer and new game plan can't improve on Neeld's results, what was the point?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you guys find out the truth in why he changed his mind and took the Demon coaching job, you'll be less sympathetic to Roos.....

I'm not sympathetic and I don't think many are.

I'm positive it involves $$$

Also if their awful again this season are they going to ask for a priority pick again?

I will wait to see how he performs with Hogan and Dawes in the side.

You can't change a club in two games. Revisit this in two years, and we'll be able to judge him.

They will still be on the bottom of the ladder, they should close up shop OR the AFL is going to have to step in and remove all elements of the past from board/administration level, football department AND playing list. A fresh start is needed, Roos is not the answer to Melbourne's cancerous problem.

The two key forward targets are Fitzpatrick and Pedersen.

They'll improve.
Surrounded by Shannon Byrnes and some midfielders in Michie and Toumpas who should probably be in the 2's as well.

The cattle sucks right now. But the style of play is coming through. Contested possessions and disposals were roughly equal. The inside 50 margin wasn't glaring. West Coast kicked the last goal in a few quarters but there wasn't a massive red zone drop away.

We scored 1 goal per quarter. West Coast scored 4 goals per quarter after 6 in the first when we were blown away.

I'm pretty sure the best 6 forwards we have at the club are Clark, Dawes, Hogan, Howe, Kent and JKH. 4 of those didn't play, 1 was sub, 1 in Howe has some massive flaws in his game and is getting the best defender right now at times.

I'm willing to cut Roos some slack because trade moves he's made - Vince, Tyson and Cross are working, the game style in a way is working, he's not throwing young players to the sword and he's got a bad VFL forward line to work with. I still think things will come together and pretty quickly once some of the cattle is improved.

Too early to judge. If it wasn't for their impressive pre-season form no one would be saying this, that for some reason raised expectations when everyone should know by now that pre-season form is misleading.

They will still be on the bottom of the ladder, they should close up shop OR the AFL is going to have to step in and remove all elements of the past from board/administration level, football department AND playing list. A fresh start is needed, Roos is not the answer to Melbourne's cancerous problem.

Round 2

If they had a forward line they would have been a lot better.

When Ross Lyons came to freo we thumped them early in the year - they returned the favour at the end of the. Year

Let's see what they look like in a few months eh

Remove this Banner Ad

Back