Paul Roos: Six ways to improve the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

20 rounds would be bearable, 17 games against oppo in sequence then 3 games to encounter for return games between rivals and derbies.

They're alright but I'd prefer a better rule.

After rd 11 the bottom 8 are to be "punished" and only receive 2 pts for winning a match. They must also play 2 matches a week for the remaining 11 rounds.

This would motivate players not to suck and give the viewers a better footy standard than we've seen for the past 6 seasons.

1. Let the fans decide how the want the game played.

I can hardly think of anything worse. Then you just end up with stuff like this.

They're alright but I'd prefer a better rule.

After rd 11 the bottom 8 are to be "punished" and only receive 2 pts for winning a match. They must also play 2 matches a week for the remaining 11 rounds.

This would motivate players not to suck and give the viewers a better footy standard than we've seen for the past 6 seasons.

He's been banging on about the draft age for years.

I really don't see the point in it. Each year we have a heap of draftees ready to play from day one. Why shorten their careers and make them s**t kick in the VFL reserves for a year?

Hardly s**t kicking. It improves the game at all levels. State leagues are improved and get some much needed interest, players develop further before they make it to the AFL, resulting in better players in the AFL.

Players are stronger, fitter, and importantly much more mature when they step up and play as full time professionals.

Less player discontent and "go home" factor when you're dealing with adults instead of children. They're better adjusted and more rounded people.

A spell of work or study after school can give them more perspective and a better appreciation for the game and their career. I dare say it'd improve player behaviour overall. And would prepare them far better for life after footy, as many are only AFL players for a few short years. They could have more than a high school certificate.

The process of drafting would become far more accurate when all players have a couple of years of exposed form in high level senior football. It'll make the draft far more effective in terms of what's it's meant to be, and give draft picks a more realistic value, which can allow more trade action and player movement.

Finally, whatever is lost by not having the "heaps" of kids who are ready to play AFL at 18yo (which there's not, they're still the exception) would be more than offset by players having longer primes and careers as their bodies have less rigour from full time football in their teenage years.

Personally I'd increase the draft age to 20 or 21.

Hey look, someone actually speaking common sense in the media. I agree with all of these. You can read the full article for all his reasonings.

https://www.playersvoice.com.au/paul-roos-six-steps-to-improve-afl/

1. Ensure a fair draw by moving to a 17 round season (he admits this only works if the players accept less money since the rights would go down).

2. Raise the draft age to 19

3. National reserves competition

4. Substitute allowed in a case of concussion

5. Professional umpires

6. Introduce a draft lottery (if you care about taking. If not, shut up about it)

That's a whole six months worth of off season threads.

1. 17/5 or variant
2. Not sure
3. Support I think....17 games and knockout finals maybe...top up with academy players even. I think this is as important for the integrity if the second tier as anything else
4. Not sure. Could be exploited, but the prelim highlighted the problem with the status quo
5. How is it not already the case?
6. Have a points based hybrid auction / draft system. Tanking is not really an issue nowadays anyway (post priority pick)

Any one else offended Ross Lyons partner in crime is making suggestions in improving the game after laying siege to it for the past 10 years with congested resting players rd22 s**t yaya? I am. * him. I wouldn't trust anything that comes out of his mouth. Sydney, St Kilda and Freo were a direct attack on the game. There were some real quality sides back then, only for them to be insulted by this jargon. Look at the s**t the last 6 years. Same style of goalless congested defensive footy these two abomination coaches introduced and eventually force fed us into. If we listen to his forked words again we will end up with even more defensive pressure focused bs and even worse set shot conversions. Don't do it. Just ignore him.

I like this idea but I think the draft age in the first round (first 18 picks, or 17 as it is this year) should remain as is. Over the years the majority of those guys have been good enough to play some football in their first year of AFL and can handle the stress of studies in year 12. It is the guys that are in the mid range of the draft and lower who really need to be protected from these multiple stresses as those are guys who can slide out of the draft completely and have ended up ******* their studies in the process. And most blokes who are generally accepted as first round picks know they are going to get picked up somewhere, even if they do slide a lot further down then predicted. If they slide out they at least have the knowledge if they continue to perform the way they are then they'll be one of the best non-u/18 prospects in next years draft.

Currently blokes that were predicted to be mid-range but slide out of the draft completely are left in a tricky spot because at the moment about 75% of draft picks are players 18 and under at December 31 of that year.

An as aside it really shits me when you hear the guy who's just been picked up at #7 - I was really nervous because I didn't even know if I my name was going to get called. I know it's a big day for these youngsters and the nerves are understandable, particularly as they could end up going interstate which might not be desirable. But telling the world you thought you might not get drafted when every phantom draft has you going top 10 is a bit bullshit.

Last edited:
18 round season, 1v18; 2v17; 3v16 based on last season's ladder for the double up. Teams need to be rewarded for finishing higher and lower teams need to be punished (keeping in mind that I don't support a draft lottery).

4 weeks of SoO, during which is mid-season trade period.

Hey look, someone actually speaking common sense in the media. I agree with all of these. You can read the full article for all his reasonings.

1. Ensure a fair draw by moving to a 17 round season (he admits this only works if the players accept less money since the rights would go down).

5. Professional umpires

6. Introduce a draft lottery (if you care about taking. If not, shut up about it)

Gees he came up with all those ideas by himself, did he, ???????,
All 6 have been talked about on sen and 3aw for the last 10 years
Hey roosy look up the words original thoughts in the dictionary

should have put it to music... could have been a hit for summer

just make the draw even, steven
raise the draft age, paige
some national reserves, merv
Just get yourself free

swap out concussed, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
pay umps a salary, Lee
And get yourself free
Paul Simon is a legend unlike paul roos

These all influence player earnings.

A shorter season means less money from TV rights and gate receipts.
A higher draft age means careers are shortened by one year, anywhere from 50-100K taken off the average player's total career earnings.
A national reserves competition means more players are vying for the same pool of money.

Can't have them all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1 is the worst. If anything the competition should be 34 rounds.

THIS ^.... it can be done, don't get me wrong.... other codes aren't going to like it but * them and it makes the season very very fair.... I like it.
Nice one Paul Roo's :thumbsu:

1. 18 games not 17. Got to have those extra derby games and give each club 9 home and 9 away games. Surely there wouldn't be too many complaints about 1 double up game over the course of the season? I think it will happen one day.

2. Draft age - makes sense. First thing to do is to change the TAC to under 19's so the standard goes up across the board. Encourage kids to stay in the elite pathway after their last year of high school

3. A 2nds competition - sounds too expensive but would be nice to even out the reserves

4. Concussion sub makes sense, but tough to implement. A slightly smaller rotations might be simpler.

5. Full time umpires - not sold on this. Too many good ones wouldn't want to full time.

6. Lottery - easy enough not to talk about tanking. The lottery will highlight the differences in percentages and teams will still tank for it.

These all influence player earnings.

A shorter season means less money from TV rights and gate receipts.
A higher draft age means careers are shortened by one year, anywhere from 50-100K taken off the average player's total career earnings.
A national reserves competition means more players are vying for the same pool of money.

Can't have them all.

You can if we have a fair and equitable 34 game season..... everyone plays everyone else twice (home and away)
Will never ever get reduced to 17.... they will never take value out of their product.

A 34 game season can only happen if cricket in this country completely collapses.

Even then, a season that long would require massive playing lists. This, in addition to a national reserves league, would absolutely gut all lower leagues and while dramatically reducing the quality of the league.

The AFL simply needs to take baby steps to get where it needs to be. Maybe one day, 50 years from now, we have a national reserves league, a full season with double ups, and sensible draft ages more in line with player maturity.

But I wouldn't bank on it.

The AFL would essentially have to be the clear number one football code in all states. I don't see that happening in my lifetime or even my children's lifetimes.

The compromises the AFL makes with the draft, the fixture, and slim play lists all have to do with AFL's compromised position in the sporting market of Australia. It may be the most popular sport in the country, but it's not the near monopoly NFL or Premier League are for their respective football markets.

Last edited:
On the sub in case of concussion thing, it would just be abused, especially in finals, it'd be pretty easy to get a player to fake a concussion to get some fresh legs on the ground, better off having 4 on the bench but severely limiting rotations, say to around 8 per quarter, that way if you lose a player it isn't going to affect you as much.

Name a player who would willfully fake a concussion, to allow themself to be dragged no less, and I'll show you a player who shouldn't be on an AFL list.

5. Professional umpires

1 I like, but it won't happen
2 I disagree with, leave it at 18 or bring it up higher (20-21ish)
3 AGREE AGREE AGREE
4 no, I'm happy to change it from 4 interchange to 2-3 subs and go back to the 80s in that regard though. But I don't like the idea of expanding to a 23 or going back to that s**t we had just a few years ago
5 no, you would make some umpires better umpires, but others won't take up the gig as they'd have to give up their own job to do it. And I feel in the grand scheme of things, all we're doing is raising the umpiring of the 2nd tier as the really good ones who do it as a second job, or hobby, or fitness, or whatever, won't do it as they'd be giving up something else. Like idk, the salary of a lawyer, or a doctor.
6 AGREE AGREE AGREE

THIS ^.... it can be done, don't get me wrong.... other codes aren't going to like it but **** them and it makes the season very very fair.... I like it.
Nice one Paul Roo's :thumbsu:
Can it work with finals though
23 rounds (22 games)
4 finals
4 preseason rounds (3 games)
2 weeks no game (weeks before and after home and away season)

33 weeks already in the season
Just need to find one more

But do we find 4 more ontop of that?

I'd personally be happy to ditch finals for a proper league system. But that's just me.

Can it work with finals though
23 rounds (22 games)
4 finals
4 preseason rounds (3 games)
2 weeks no game (weeks before and after home and away season)

33 weeks already in the season
Just need to find one more

But do we find 4 more ontop of that?

I'd personally be happy to ditch finals for a proper league system. But that's just me.

We need finals..... its just inherent in the game..... Would need to remain a top 8 though...
Scrap the whole pre-season games BS (theres 3 weeks), everyone will need a mid season bye (34 games is a LOT of football).
Scrap pre-finals bye thats nonsense... its mainly on the front of the season I can see it being extended not that back end.... Finals to remain in September.. too much starts in October... cricket, a-league etc....

On the sub in case of concussion thing, it would just be abused, especially in finals, it'd be pretty easy to get a player to fake a concussion to get some fresh legs on the ground, better off having 4 on the bench but severely limiting rotations, say to around 8 per quarter, that way if you lose a player it isn't going to affect you as much.
You could look at having an AFL Medico make the assessment but might be costly to have one at every game (which you’d need to be fair for all games).

You could look at countering manipulation by not allowing a concussion sub to play the following week - in some ways it’s potentially in the interests of their health anyway. Perhaps even make it a coaches choice - sub off and wear that they don’t play next week or don’t allow the sub and they’re a player down for remainder of game (as would be case now if genuinely concussed).

There’s no perfect solution but some potential counters to manipulation.

1. Ensure a fair draw by moving to a 17 round season (he admits this only works if the players accept less money since the rights would go down).- Hate it, we get 45 less games and it is still not 100% fair for a singular season depending which teams you are playing home and away and who plays 9 away and 8 at home. Never going to happen anyway $$$.

2. Raise the draft age to 19- Don't mind this one although IMO you would need to get them into an elite national under age competition. Top prospects would probably wait another year but the ones who are further down the pecking order could drop off and pursue other careers.

3. National reserves competition- Like it but the AFL would have to fully fund all club costs re travel accommodation.

4. Substitute allowed in a case of concussion- No thanks, it has been tried and was dumped.

5. Professional umpires- Don't mind it although I don't think it would improve too much, IMO our game is the most difficult game on the planet to adjudicate ie. a lot of rules are open to interpretation not black and white.

6. Introduce a draft lottery (if you care about taking. If not, shut up about it)- A few problems with this one. This sort of system is usually based on groups being in a lottery eg. bottom 4-6, next group up the ladder etc. to the top group of 4-6 eg. if it was bottom 4 18th would get more balls in the lottery than the team who finished 15th.

What happens if it is not like this year when the bottom 4 were very close eg. 18th 2 wins, 15th 6-7 wins only off 14th by percentage, I would see it as grossly unfair if in this case 15th got the number 1 pick and 18th got pick 4. It would/could be far worse if it was based on the bottom 6, middle 6 and top 6 which would be the most likely system. In the bottom 6 system the team that finished 13th last season (Richmond) could have ended up with pick 1 and then been premiers, now that would be grossly unfair.

5. Professional umpires

How does making the comp 17 rounds make it fair?

I've never understood that theory.

5. Professional umpires

7. Ban any coach who learnt under Paul Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back