Rumour Paul Roos to Collingwood in 2018?

Remove this Banner Ad

Could see it happening, and would wish him the best if it did. Having said that, I doubt it'd be a long term commitment - Roosy knows all about the falling stocks of coaches and it took us a lot to get him to agree for 2-3 years. He's looking set to leave the Dees with his reputation intact, if not enhanced, should the season carry on the way it has. He'd have a comfortable role as a genuinely respected member of the media, and would probably be a bit weary of doing what's happened to poor Rodney Eade.

Would Collingwood go another succession plan?
Poor Rodney Eade? The dude is losing football games. He also gets paid and was free to decline the job if he wanted. "Poor?" Awwwww! Poor s**t coach who's minted!

Doubt they've approached anyone with Buckley still coaching. Roos has been good for Melbourne in turning the list around in 3 years and getting it competitive, Melbourne's more attacking game style this year is more to do with Simon Goodwin though, Roos' defensive style looks like it could be out dated in a few years.

I think if Roos was inclined to coach, he wouldn't be walking away from Melbourne just as the fruits of his labour comes to fruition. I dont expect to see him coach again after this season. He'll do the American thing and possibly resume a role in the media if that's his fancy after 2017

I think if Roos was inclined to coach, he wouldn't be walking away from Melbourne just as the fruits of his labour comes to fruition. I dont expect to see him coach again after this season. He'll do the American thing and possibly resume a role in the media if that's his fancy after 2017
Don't forget that his successor (Goodwin) was named quite a while ago - long before Melbourne were showing any fruitiness. The day they signed Goodwin, his option to coach on at Melbourne beyond this year died.

But yeah, I agree that Roos is not in the future coaching stakes. Pity he married a Yank - if he'd married an Aussie gal he could have been the subject of so much more speculation for so many more years. And he could have succumbed to it so many more times.

Collingwood have added, or are into that many high profile coaches or admin staff, yet it doesn't seem to help their form. It's amazing how such a well resourced club can be so s**t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agree. time to scrap the footy dept tax.

obviously just welfare in another name.

Gary Pert and Paul Roos were teammates at Fitzroy so you never know if they have discussed his availability.

Remember Gary Pert had the Pies winning a flag within 3 years (back in 2014). Buckley better get moving if he is going to those objectives.

Buckley won't be winning Collingwood a flag. Ever.

Roosy would be a very good appointment. I can't honestly see him coaching again after Melbourne, but there certainly isn't a better coach out there available if Collingwood get rid of Buckley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gary Pert and Paul Roos were teammates at Fitzroy so you never know if they have discussed his availability.

Remember Gary Pert had the Pies winning a flag within 3 years (back in 2014). Buckley better get moving if he is going to those objectives.

I'd prefer Pert gone before Buckley. Appears to like seeing his name in the paper.

correct. so who cares how much people spend. its not relevant to flags.

I wasn't actually talking about the football department tax to begin with. But since we are, I'm pretty sure there is a direct correlation between football department spend and on field success. I'd say the competition is healthier when all clubs are on an even footing? Whether you agree that a tax is the best way to do that though is another question.

But Hawthorn seem to find a way to work with the tax and still win a s**t load of flags. Maybe the Pies should take some pointers.

I wasn't actually talking about the football department tax to begin with. But since we are, I'm pretty sure there is a direct correlation between football department spend and on field success. I'd say the competition is healthier when all clubs are on an even footing? Whether you agree that a tax is the best way to do that though is another question.

But Hawthorn seem to find a way to work with the tax and still win a s**t load of flags. Maybe the Pies should take some pointers.

agree..off topic.

ps I guess north and the dogs being at the pointy end is an anomly.

I'd prefer Pert gone before Buckley. Appears to like seeing his name in the paper.
That round table thing on fox footy with 4 other chief executives was interesting.

Pert wouldn't shut up. Seems to have ALOT to say.

One of those people who thinks he's opinion is higher than others.

After a year off (2017) Roos will be keen to get back into it. Wont have to move houses to take up the Collingwood job. Id rather see Ratten get the gig.

My father is workmates with an ex Melbourne player. This Melbourne player has strong ties to the club ( he's in their team of the century, and was even offered some sort of board position at Melbourne). He says that Collingwood has contacted Roos for a coaching job in 2018 to allow for Buckley to see out his current contract.

Thoughts?

and I heard/thought he was on his way to the Lions for the 2018 season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back