News Paul Vandenbergh to leave Port at years end

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 7, 2004
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Sad news...will be terribly missed

Port Adelaide Aboriginal Programs Director Paul Vandenbergh will finish at the club at the end of the year.

Mr Vandenbergh, who started at Alberton in 2010, has overseen the club’s industry-leading Indigenous programs for more than ten years creating life-changing experiences for Aboriginal youth across South Australia and the Northern Territory.

He's making me do it.

T H E B U T T O N

Seriously though I thought he had already left. In any case this is actually not necessarily bad news. More influence at AFL house is big for us. No mention in that article about him going to the AFL, but he is. I bet it's because he's replacing Tanya Hosch.

Paul has been a fantastic part of our club for so long. It is hard to believe he is moving onto new pastures. He leaves a huge and lasting legacy and massive shoes to fill.

All the best in your new role Paul. You'll always be welcomed back to Alberton.

Paul has been a massive part of why our club has such good buy in from players.

Huge influence and a great guy. Will be missed.

He's making me do it.

T H E B U T T O N

Seriously though I thought he had already left. In any case this is actually not necessarily bad news. More influence at AFL house is big for us. No mention in that article about him going to the AFL, but he is. I bet it's because he's replacing Tanya Hosch.
He has started up that new program with Podsiably and AFL Max so maybe that is where his attention will be spent

I hope his successor comes from the list of ex-players who have worked closely with him over the journey and are still around the club today.
Chad Wingard?

Chad Wingard?

tumblr_mxrlg4QGnz1soz6g1o1_500.png

Mate of mine who does a lot of consulting work for indigenous land councils and indigenous commercial enterprises and knows Pauly well, told me at a BBQ watching the Geelong v Collingwood SF, that Pauly rang him the day before and told him he gave KT his resignation letter, and that Port and him would discuss how long he would stick around for.

Thought something might have come out earlier after Caro said the AFL are chasing him to take away some of Hosch's responsibility and be the head of indigenous player development so that indigenous kids weren't giving up after a year or two of being drafted.

He has a few options according to my mate, some outside the football industry. Pauly was a bit frustrated that the PAACE stalled and that it didn't look like going ahead.

Has been a great servant of the club. Has impacted the club, supporters and our players over his decade tenure. Our players don't see the community stuff as a chore and many really look forward to doing their tour of duty in the outback communities. That is due to Pauly's great work and leadership.

He's impacted indigenous players at other clubs and if they've been in the system a couple of years or more they all get to know Pauly and his programs.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sad and a massive loss to the PAFC.

Nonetheless all the best to you PV.

Organise a few more indigenous players to get to the Club and bend a few rules for us when you're working at AFL House 😏😎👍

I hope his successor comes from the list of ex-players who have worked closely with him over the journey and are still around the club today.

Is Wade Thompson still at the club? He was always working pretty closely with Pauly.

Is Wade Thompson still at the club? He was always working pretty closely with Pauly.
Think Wade and Marlon Motlop were Pauly's key off-siders...
I had the pleasure of doing a cultural awareness training run by PAFC (Paul). Was a fascinating experience. If only the people that really needed the training could have access to it.

Think Wade and Marlon Motlop were Pauly's key off-siders...
I had the pleasure of doing a cultural awareness training run by PAFC (Paul). Was a fascinating experience. If only the people that really needed the training could have access to it.

I did one of those when I was in government, was one of those mandatory things. They had him, ryder, amon and krakouer there. It was interesting stuff. Paul came across very driven and passionate, but at times he felt quite combative about the issues. He definitely isn't the type to let anything slide.

I did one of those when I was in government, was one of those mandatory things. They had him, ryder, amon and krakouer there. It was interesting stuff. Paul came across very driven and passionate, but at times he felt quite combative about the issues. He definitely isn't the type to let anything slide.
Agreed - it was quite confrontational.

I think one of reason why Pauly was so successful was because he actually worked away from the sports industry. Played basketball as a pro/semi pro but he worked in indigenous housing, one of the bedrock areas of improving the lot of indigenous Australians. His Dutch father had a background in building houses and community facilities.

He sold his vision to KT to use sports to help breakdown barriers between the races but also wanted to do stuff around housing - hence the PAACE accommodation idea.

Whoever takes over whilst having a different vision, probably has to have experience of working for a government indigenous agency or for an indigenous body who has had to run and develop programs that had social capital outcomes, rather than someone who just delivered education programs.

“I am so grateful to Port Adelaide for giving me the opportunity to do what I love – bringing Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal people together as one,” Mr Vandenbergh said.

The above quote should be what it is all about. Quite frankly who ever takes over needs to hold to that vision.

Pauly’s great strength is that he can inspire and connect people at every level. He has always maintained that Aboriginal culture and history belongs to all Australians. His message is always about connection, unity and reconciliation - we all are together as “One people”. Well said Matthew Richardson

Well done Paul.

Last edited:
Sad news...will be terribly missed

Port Adelaide Aboriginal Programs Director Paul Vandenbergh will finish at the club at the end of the year.

Mr Vandenbergh, who started at Alberton in 2010, has overseen the club’s industry-leading Indigenous programs for more than ten years creating life-changing experiences for Aboriginal youth across South Australia and the Northern Territory.
He says he wants to keep helping the club. Hopefully, we will be able to let him “leave” without him actually leaving.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back