News Paul Vandenbergh to leave Port at years end

Jojay

PISS BLASTERS "RS"
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I recall Caro Wilson earlier this year, saying there were whispers PV was being head-hunted at AFL House.

Onward and upward I suppose but sad to see him move on. What a legacy. Trailblazer.

All the best with the next chapter Pauly!

I recall Caro Wilson earlier this year, saying there were whispers PV was being head-hunted at AFL House.

Onward and upward I suppose but sad to see him move on. What a legacy. Trailblazer.

All the best with the next chapter Pauly!
I looked up the Paul Vandenberg Port Adelaide Champion thread, and I wrote on 3rd September that Caro on her regular AA Thursday segment first mentioned the AFL were after him as the indigenous game development is the area the AFL are concerned about, and Pauly would take that component off of Tanya Hosch in her role as AFL GM of Inclusion and Social Policy.

My mate who knows Pauly well, told me on 3rd October whilst watching 2nd SF Gee v Coll, that Pauly spoke to him the previous day and that he had handed in his resignation to KT. 27th November the club goes public that he has left the club.

Seems a bit of a long process to go thru if he has got a job with the AFL.

Last edited:

Jojay

PISS BLASTERS "RS"
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I looked up the Paul Vandenberg Port Adelaide Champion thread, and I wrote on 3rd September that Caro on her regular AA Thursday segment first mentioned the AFL were after him as the indigenous game development is the area the AFL are concerned about, and Pauly would take that component off of Tanya Hosch in her role as AFL GM of Inclusion and Social Policy.

My mate who knows Pauly well, told me on 3rd October whilst watching 2nd SF Gee v Coll, that Pauly spoke to him the previous day and that he had handed in his resignation to KT. 27th November the club goes public that he has left the club.

Seems a bit of long a process to go thru if he has got a job with the AFL.
Perhaps it was about the optics for the club. Not wanting to announce his departure while our season was still alive. Also wanting to wait until after a few of the feel good contract extension announcements.

90% of Port supporters outside of this board would hardly know who Paul is because he's not football department so to speak. I don't really feel like they would hold the news back. Very important cog to those who know though.

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
Disappointed not to see Pauly in the "Top 100" list of influential sporting people in Oz on the weekend papers.
Think he deserved more recognition than a few higher profile people on boards of sports organisations because their firms contribute money to said sports, and who most likely don't do much for their sports anyway.
Former NBL basketballer and running one of the pre-eminent indigenous cultural/sporting programmes in the country for years.

Oct 11, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This appeared on my LinkedIn

Screenshot_2020-12-16-17-58-27-810_com.linkedin.android.jpg

This appeared on my LinkedIn

View attachment 1029199
This morning I was talking to my mate who knows Pauly very well and does consulting work for him, and he said the Tjindu Foundation was set up to take on some of the indigenous programs the club decided to no longer support, mainly because of the Covid cuts. He wont be working full time for the Foundation, more he helped set it up for others to run full time, and will probably have a board role. He said Pauly and the AFL are still talking about a possible role with them.

I asked if McLeod's programs got their funding back if it could sit within this Foundation, and he said he couldn't see why not.

Garibaldi Red

Cancelled
Bring Back the Bars
Jul 22, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Nottingham Forest
This morning I was talking to my mate who knows Pauly very well and does consulting work for him, and he said the Tjindu Foundation was set up to take on some of the indigenous programs the club decided to no longer support, mainly because of the Covid cuts. He wont be working full time for the Foundation, more he helped set it up for others to run full time, and will probably have a board role. He said Pauly and the AFL are still talking about a possible role with them.

I asked if McLeod's programs got their funding back if it could sit within this Foundation, and he said he couldn't see why not.

The AFL has increased its focus on building stronger pathways and opportunities for Aboriginal and / or Torres Strait Islander and multicultural players with the appointment of Paul Vandenbergh to a senior role in the AFL Talent Team as the Diversity Talent Manager.

Vandenbergh will be responsible for leading all State and Club NGA Academy programs and the national AFL Talent Diversity Programs to improve talent outcomes for Indigenous and multicultural players across the country. Reporting to Tristan Salter, Head of Talent Pathways and State League Competitions, he will also work closely with clubs and the current crop of AFL and AFLW Aboriginal and / or Torres Strait Islander players on ensuring greater support and a smoother transition between the talent pathway programs and the elite programs at AFL / AFLW level.

A proud Wirangu / Kokatha man from the Far West Coast of South Australia, Vandenbergh will oversee the State Talent Academies in New South Wales, the Northern Territory, Queensland and Tasmania and lead the Indigenous and Multicultural Talent Programs including; the Boomerangs, Woomeras, Medleys, World Team and supporting the Bachar Houli Programs.

Vandenbergh's previous position was as the Aboriginal Programs Director at the Port Adelaide Football Club where he worked since 2010 leading community programs and generating initiatives for Indigenous youth in South Australia.

AFL Executive General Manager Football Operations Steve Hocking said Vandenbergh brings a wealth of industry experience and knowledge across talent diversity programs in our game and would work closely with AFL clubs and current Aboriginal and / or Torres Strait Islander and multicultural players to identify ways to improve opportunities and the support available for Indigenous and multicultural female and male players across the country.

"Paul has extensive experience implementing programs and initiatives for young Indigenous players, and is a highly regarded Indigenous leader in our game who will add to our work in bringing more indigenous talent and multicultural talent to our game and ensure they have the right support in place," Mr Hocking said.

"In this role, Paul will oversee the AFL's Talent Diversity Programs and will work closely with AFL Clubs on the implementation of the revised AFL's Next Generation Academy Program as well as working closely with the Inclusion and Social Policy team, led by Tanya Hosch, to identify areas where the AFL and our clubs can continue to improve the opportunities and support.

The former director of Port Adelaide Football Club’s Aboriginal programs has teamed up with the state’s inaugural Commissioner for Aboriginal Children and Young People to launch a new not-for-profit cultural engagement foundation, building on program concepts developed at the Power.

Paul Vandenbergh, who was last week also appointed to a locally-based senior role in the AFL Talent Team, says the venture was the culmination of a direction he and Commissioner for Aboriginal Children and Young People April Lawrie “wanted to head down for a number of years to establish an Aboriginal not-for-profit working with Aboriginal young people”.

Mirning and Kokatha woman Lawrie says the Foundation builds on areas of need she’s identified both in her current role and an extensive background in Aboriginal health, education, child and family welfare, foster care, and youth justice services policy.

“We felt SA needed something for our Aboriginal young people that responded to their need to connect to culture,” she said.

She said the programs would focus on education, development and leadership, but “with a strong sense of cultural identity”.

“This is something I’ve been working on with Pauly for a number of years… to focus on getting an Aboriginal-led committee-based organisation that focuses on our Aboriginal young people in development and growing them as future leaders,” she said.

“Engaging in education is really important.”

https://indaily.com.au/news/local/2...-legacy-with-new-aboriginal-youth-foundation/

Few interesting phrases from that article I have quoted below.

The club hasn't really broadcast it but many of our Aboriginal footy stuff was cut last year with the Covid cuts. Richo at the Bigfooty Focus Group meeting in December said we have kept the WillPower cup and have scrapped the 2 Aboriginal - boys and womens academies.

Because of the NGA rules for the 4 WA and SA clubs re Aboriginal kids only being zoned for country zones and not metro zones we are aligned to with Norwood, South, WWT and West country zones so we have set up an Aboriginal academy hub in Maitland to capture the kids in Yorke Peninsula which is WWT country zone.

These are the only Academies the club has, ie all NGA related.

a new not-for-profit cultural engagement foundation, building on program concepts developed at the Power.

it was an “opportunity to continue with some of the programs” he pioneered at Port Adelaide, “and reshape them a little bit”.

“It’s a different name, and a little different with how it’s delivered as well,” he says of Tjindu STRONG’s roots in the WillPower program.

Vandenbergh says the program “replaces the old Aboriginal academies programs” formerly run at Port.

“The timing was right – we were heading down this path to setting up the Foundation and could transition [the kernel of the programs] across without compromising the IP [intellectual property] of the Port Adelaide Academy.”

But she says that engagement can be leveraged from a love of sport – a foundation of Vandenbergh’s approach at Port Adelaide.

Feb 17, 2010
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Because those bloody aborigines should stop asking for special treatment and be just like everyone else, probably

Im not usually one for calling out individuals views but can this post be deleted/removed?

Everyone is entitled to their views but the sentiment behind this post does not fit with the culture of port Adelaide and is inherently negative towards Indigenous players.

Im not usually one for calling out individuals views but can this post be deleted/removed?

Everyone is entitled to their views but the sentiment behind this post does not fit with the culture of port Adelaide and is inherently negative towards Indigenous players.

As long as you have no concept of sarcasm, irony, satire or context, then yeah sure what a horrible thing for me to say.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
powerrrrrrrrrrrr and Schulzenfest

Without knowing context, I would have trouble finding where it is wrong. Of course the ultimate goal should be letting the Australian Aboriginal people be like everyone else.

For that, the corollary is that the rest of Australia should also become more Aboriginal, until being Aboriginal and being Australian becomes one and the same thing.

Hence, there would be no special treatment, because it would be fully ingrained in the country DNA.

Interesting, right? The words don’t change, but context fully transform their meaning. It can be campaignerism, satire, or an honest opinion.

Mar 1, 2014
parallel universe
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
"I used to work for the Port Adelaide Football Club as director of their Aboriginal program and I met with Hagen to discuss opportunities for Indigenous people in the industry through his work as chairman of the Maritime Fishing Academy," Mr Vandenbergh said.

Back