Pauline Hanson - One Nation Party

Remove this Banner Ad

h-1.png

Really a difficult debate when some people can only see sides - bigots/racist or apologists.
Not sure it is possible but there are still a number of good posters on both side whose posts provide food for thought.
I wonder sometimes how one gets to a 'position'?? Personal experiences, peer group, reading/education, role model influence etc.

It certainly is a mess... atm it is the "right" v the "left" just taking predictable pot shots or stances with very little constructive debate. Maajid Nawaz I find a fascinating speaker who is hard hitting but calm and constructive. Essentially he was in Australia speaking this year yet was not invited into the mainstream media shows which to me was a eye opener. Look at Q&A last nigh with the Islam issue a feature argument but only 1 panelist (pauline) on the negative side. Last night was a farce with most the time spent hassling Pauline about whether she would let a little innocent boy enter Australia in context to a imaginary (or back dated) scenario. I was dumb enough to tune in thinking there would be honest constructive debate from both sides...instead we got Paulines muddled arguments and invites to dinner. Talk about no substance

It certainly is a mess... atm it is the "right" v the "left" just taking predictable pot shots or stances with very little constructive debate. Maajid Nawaz I find a fascinating speaker who is hard hitting but calm and constructive. Essentially he was in Australia speaking this year yet was not invited into the mainstream media shows which to me was a eye opener. Look at Q&A last nigh with the Islam issue a feature argument but only 1 panelist (pauline) on the negative side. Last night was a farce with most the time spent hassling Pauline about whether she would let a little innocent boy enter Australia in context to a imaginary (or back dated) scenario. I was dumb enough to tune in thinking there would be honest constructive debate from both sides...instead we got Paulines muddled arguments and invites to dinner. Talk about no substance
What?

There was plenty of talk about radicalisation and terrorism. In fact, it started with it...

Unless you only consider the 'negative side' to be basically the slander and misinformation that Bolt and Hanson peddle... ?

What?

There was plenty of talk about radicalisation and terrorism. In fact, it started with it...

Unless you only consider the 'negative side' to be basically the slander and misinformation that Bolt and Hanson peddle... ?

Not how I saw it. At one stage Pauline actually mentioned the Ideology of Islam and Violence it it was like crickets... I will admit I miss the open part of the show though

Of all the debates on this topic I have seen... the word Plenty is hardly what I would consider appropriate in describing the amount of time they put into discussion the Ideology of Islam and violence etc.. Did you actually think this was a hard hitting and deep debate?

Not how I saw it. At one stage Pauline actually mentioned the Ideology of Islam and Violence it it was like crickets... I will admit I miss the open part of the show though
What parts did you watch?

I mean, you stated that only Pauline as part of the 'negative side'. But I'd say no one on that panel actually supported/defended/ or even excused the negative side.

There was some discussion. And Pauline was clearly out of her depth when faced with realistic questions.

Yeah, how dare those Muslims have the temerity to ask perfectly reasonable questions of a person who regularly and viciously attacks their beliefs and lifestyle from a position of complete naivety.
Funny how when the roles are reversed and questions are asked about the raw facts of europen counties who have higher percentage of muslims, have higher terror acts and attacks where as countries like japan as sonia kruger pointed out have no terriosm. Political correctness is the most ridiculous s**t iv seen in this country you might aswell just say nothing because as soon as you do you are a racist :$ The whole royal commission into islam is quite ridiculous and stupid but the whole reason why people voted for one nation is the sheer fact that everytime you hear of some sort of terror attack in recent times its always to do with isil and some sort of islamic extremist and because someone like hanson has the balls to come out and discuss what she believes just like sonia did and im sure alot more tv personalities and people in the media believe something has to be done in order to stop the threat of terror happening, comments about stopping muslim immigration until things settle down aren't all ridiculous

I mean, you stated that only Pauline as part of the 'negative side'. But I'd say no one on that panel actually supported/defended/ or even excused the negative side.

There was some discussion. And Pauline was clearly out of her depth when faced with realistic questions.

I tuned in late... definitely missed the opening part. The only time I watch teh Ideoloy of Islam brought up was late on which didnt get expanded on..despite the 2 muslims who asked questions and where still involved in discussion, it was met with silence. The come for dinner rubbish was great for TV but lets be honest it was rubbish in context and just wasted time

I have made my opinion on Pauline that she has hijacked the Islam debate. I certainly agree she was out of her depth. A better balance of panel members would have been better. That blonde lady was similarly out of her depth but had most the room on her side

Will check him out but in so far as last night was concerne, certainly wasn't helped by her having no idea or little facts to support her stance.
May as have read out media reports. Just waffle.

Islam gets talked about constantly, but as soon as anyone replies, the ultra-defensive whingeing starts up (we're not racist! why are you comparing it to other religions? no, you didn't check where Halal money goes correctly, etc). People seem to want to have the discussion without wanting to have the discussion. The truth is that the people pushing it and so busy buying into 'left' v 'right' BS that they're pretty useless at adding to the debate (e.g. Bolt, but of course all the nutters too). Anyone who is semi-reasonable and applies some intellectual rigour is dismissed as being 'politically correct' because they have the common-sense to point out that Muslims are normal people.

The irony, of course, is all the d*ckheadery around Islam is exactly the sort of thing which pushes Islamic people away from acting on extremism in a pro-active way, because they get lumped in with extremists and have no desire to listen to such ignorance. If you're spending energy defending yourself from bigotry then you aren't spending that energy on trying to out-preach the bad influences.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funny how when the roles are reversed and questions are asked about the raw facts of europen counties who have higher percentage of muslims, have higher terror acts and attacks where as countries like japan as sonia kruger pointed out have no terriosm. Political correctness is the most ridiculous s**t iv seen in this country you might aswell just say nothing because as soon as you do you are a racist :$ The whole royal commission into islam is quite ridiculous and stupid but the whole reason why people voted for one nation is the sheer fact that everytime you hear of some sort of terror attack in recent times its always to do with isil and some sort of islamic extremist and because someone like hanson has the balls to come out and discuss what she believes just like sonia did and im sure alot more tv personalities and people in the media believe something has to be done in order to stop the threat of terror happening, comments about stopping muslim immigration until things settle down aren't all ridiculous

How about we stop joining in on illegal acts of war in parts of the, world that have nothing to do with us? The so called 'coalition of the willing' (i.e. bush, Blair and Howard) and their disastrous foreign policies and illegal invasions are what created Isis (and others). And we are still at it.

Another discussion where Xenophon showed why his vote rose so well this election.

I found the most compelling part of Q&A last night was when Sam Dastyari asked Pauline a question about a little Sam.
The look on her face was priceless and the most important thing appeared to be was that she didn't realise it.

Hanson: "Are you a Muslim? Really?"
Dastyari: "Yeah and I have never hidden it away."
Hanson: "Were you sworn in under the Koran?"
Dastyari: "I was born in an Islamic nation and by being born…
Hanson: "So you're a Muslim."
Dastyari: "By being born in an Islamic nation and under Iranian law, under Islamic law and in places like Iran and my parents fled to be able to come to this country…
Hanson: "You're a practising Muslim? This is quite interesting.""

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainm...-dastyari-from-australia-20160718-gq8i5y.html

With very good reason did she ask those question Maggie
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ne-Hanson-Q-Muslim-says-s-non-practising.html

Pretty disengenuous behaviour by this Labor politician. What a shock.
Pretty disingenuous by Q&A the way they set it up.

When the discussion started on why Islam was supposedly different , it got shut down with Indonesia quoted as an example, disappointingly.

Turns out Indonesia is not so squeaky clean.

Certainly don't want this happening to any of me granddaughters or their daughters.

Last year, an Acehnese woman faced being caned by the Banda Aceh Sharia Police despite being a victim of rape.

Pretty disengenuous behaviour by this Labor politician. What a shock.

I know quite a few "Muslims"... hit the piss with a few of them, and been on fishing trips where we have bacon and eggs for breakfast. Like all religions there are the true believers and those just hanging on just in case there is something on the other side. Unfortunately it is the true believers that are the worry...not the ones inviting infidels over for dinner

Pretty disingenuous by Q&A the way they set it up.

When the discussion started on why Islam was supposedly different , it got shut down with Indonesia quoted as an example, disappointingly.

Turns out Indonesia is not so squeaky clean.

Certainly don't want this happening to any of me granddaughters or their daughters.

they also applauded the concept that the west was purely responsible for turning Muslims into terrorist for the recent "Bombings of their countries"... probably should have done their homework on the Muslim attitudes to western society and culture in general... When did we Bomb Tunisia again?

they also applauded the concept that the west was purely responsible for turning Muslims into terrorist for the recent "Bombings of their countries"... probably should have done their homework on the Muslim attitudes to western society and culture in general... When did we Bomb Tunisia again?

One of the questioners blamed Hanson for it. She should have asked him "what if your 11 YO son turns out to be Gay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back