Strategy Pav, Johnno and September Action

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I am interested in people's views of whether and how much Pav and Johnno should be managed in 2016.

Pav looked pretty good in the early part of 2015 (when we looked good) but fell away when he appeared to be playing sore and we weren't going well.

Johnno missed the Qualifying Final in Geelong in 2013 and was below par (IMHO) in the Granny, did not play finals in 2014 and was clearly (again IMHO) playing sore in the PF in 2015.

Should we be heavily managing them in 2016? The only possible precedent I can think of for managing them down to 15 or so games is Brad Ottens at Geelong. I have read things on BF that said the management of Ottens is a myth and he was played when fit and not when not fit. Brisbane did not bring Lynch to Perth for a number of years and Essendon did not bring Fletcher to Perth for a couple of years, but this is players being managed out for 1 game.

I would be happy if they did not start pre season until Jan and did not play football until June, but I have no idea whether this is a reasonable management method. I suspect this won't happen, but I hold the view that we can't impact in September without these guys in reasonable form.

What do people think?

I agree totally. Games in tassie for example and even queensland should be rounds where our older guys get a rest and to try out some youth.

I am interested in people's views of whether and how much Pav and Johnno should be managed in 2016.

Pav looked pretty good in the early part of 2015 (when we looked good) but fell away when he appeared to be playing sore and we weren't going well.

Johnno missed the Qualifying Final in Geelong in 2013 and was below par (IMHO) in the Granny, did not play finals in 2014 and was clearly (again IMHO) playing sore in the PF in 2015.

Should we be heavily managing them in 2016? The only possible precedent I can think of for managing them down to 15 or so games is Brad Ottens at Geelong. I have read things on BF that said the management of Ottens is a myth and he was played when fit and not when not fit. Brisbane did not bring Lynch to Perth for a number of years and Essendon did not bring Fletcher to Perth for a couple of years, but this is players being managed out for 1 game.

I would be happy if they did not start pre season until Jan and did not play football until June, but I have no idea whether this is a reasonable management method. I suspect this won't happen, but I hold the view that we can't impact in September without these guys in reasonable form.

What do people think?
To be fair, Alistair Lynch suffered from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

I think our elder statesmen should start the season slower so that they work up to full strength around the first bye. It's a tricky situation but Hawthorn have managed to rest their players albeit Hodge gives himself 5-6 weeks off due to suspension..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back